Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2016, 12:42 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
with no hands on the steering wheel....ever see me drive my boat??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 06:06 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Let's hope you don't "ware" out soon.

Oh, and I've flown airplanes hands off many times...

yes, so have I, but all the one's I've flown have autopilot!

Old 05-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #171

I recently purchased our MH and went thru the whole gasser vs. diesel conundrum in my head. Here's what it boiled down to for me.......I drove the new gassers, went out with the salesmen on road tests and pulled a few 6% grades in both. For me, the MH has to be able to pull a 3 horse, slant load trailer with a couple of horses in it for my shows. Even with the new gasser engines and their torque/hp, what I noticed was they had to get up some pretty high rpms to make it to the top w/o a trailer in tow and without being loaded down with water and stuff. Drove some of the new DPs as well and while they would more than perform what I need, the price was just too steep. Dealing with various brands/makes of diesel engines around the equine community I opted for an older 5.9ISB with an Allison 1000 tranny. They have been ruggedly dependable setups hauling cattle, hay and just about anything needing hauled. We have an old Dodge dually that weighs in at about 10k lbs and we've hauled well over 26k lbs on a goose neck across Texas, so I was sold when I found this 02 Seabreeze bus. If I didn't have the requirement of needing to haul a horse trailer, I may have opted for new MH with a gas engine. My last rig was a Lakota 4H slant load w/ LQ pulled by my Laramie Longhorn Dually, but my wife decided to have a baby and the LQ (even being 13ft w/ a slide) was just too small for us. Now to massage up the Allison tranny a bit as it is the weak link on the chassis-drivetrain combo. Bottom line is, folks have to think about what they are wanting/needing to do with their MH as they are making a decision as to which to purchase......IMHO
Old 05-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #172
HGC

Truth about DPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
You don't have to let it do that. After a while you'll know when to disengage CC and use your gas pedal to control the downshifting. You'll loose a little speed, but you can keep it from screaming instinctively with a little practice.
Nature of the beast. Others will suggest a several thousand dollar after market option calls 5 Star tune which programmatically changes the shift pattern on the transmission. Many people swear by it.

We have a 2014 Tiffin 36LA w/ a Ford v10. The 5 Star Tune cost me less than $480. and am anxious to install it. Shift points become less noisy and RPMs stay in a better (less noisy) range plus other tune points are more finely adjusted. We have pulled our Honda Accord up some really nasty hills without problems(PA and CO). Sure you slow down to reduce wear and tear, but so do the semis. Using cruise control going up a sizable grade is silly. I try to keep my actual RPM below 3800. Definitely take it out of cruise control when dealing with hills. These are not Lincolns or Cadillacs, they are trucks. Treat it like one and you won't be disappointed.
As far as the Coach end of things our interior is not much different than the Red or Phaeton and I can't justify the cost difference. Could buy 2 36LAs for the price of a Phaeton. And I don't think I can wear out this one. One person who watched various builds at the Tiffin factory observed no difference in the build of the Gas or Diesel coach part of the MH.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #173
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGC View Post
We have a 2014 Tiffin 36LA w/ a Ford v10. The 5 Star Tune cost me less than $480. and am anxious to install it. Shift points become less noisy and RPMs stay in a better (less noisy) range plus other tune points are more finely adjusted. We have pulled our Honda Accord up some really nasty hills without problems(PA and CO). Sure you slow down to reduce wear and tear, but so do the semis. Using cruise control going up a sizable grade is silly. I try to keep my actual RPM below 3800. Definitely take it out of cruise control when dealing with hills. These are not Lincolns or Cadillacs, they are trucks. Treat it like one and you won't be disappointed.
As far as the Coach end of things our interior is not much different than the Red or Phaeton and I can't justify the cost difference. Could buy 2 36LAs for the price of a Phaeton. And I don't think I can wear out this one. One person who watched various builds at the Tiffin factory observed no difference in the build of the Gas or Diesel coach part of the MH.

Hoc, thanks for reminding me I need to be more careful when throwing numbers around. I'm not sure how I got it in my head that the 5 Star Tune cost thousands. I should have checked a bit. FYI, we really enjoy our 2012 36la also.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #174

When you read these posts about diesels and gassers you come away with one thing in common. Amazingly, both seem to get you to where you're going. Who'd of thought that?

You've all given me a lot to think about because there is no one answer. Money may keep us from exactly what we want or are willing to pay. But its more than that isn't it? Many - many - many things to consider and I for one think that's terrific!
Old 05-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #175

Thor Owners Club
Went from a 32'/8.1L Workhorse to a 40'/360 Cummins-Freightliner and would never go back to a gasser, ever.

My brother just bought an older class A on a Ford V10 chassis, I asked him why he didn't shop around for a diesel model, he said he didn't want or need it. I told him he would have it up for sale after he and his spouse ride in our diesel coach. He declines the invite every time I offer. lol

Putting the noise behind you is reason enough for the DP.

The idea that the DPs are better built is just nonsense, truth of the matter is...they are both crap.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:21 PM   #176

The Truth about Diesel Pushers - WoW some news!

Virtually all gas class A MHs are built on a Ford F53 medium truck chassis with 6.8 ltr V-10 motor.
Diesels in the other hand, are mostly on a Freightliner HD truck chassis with 6.7-12.8 ltr motors from either Cummins or Detroit.
There is little comparison as to robustness and durability between the two. Going large? You will go diesel.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #177

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel556180 View Post
Virtually all gas class A MHs are built on a Ford F53 medium truck chassis with 6.8 ltr V-10 motor. Diesel MHs are mostly on a Freightliner HD truck chassis with Cummins or Detroit 6.7-12.8 ltr motors. There is little comparison as to robustness and durability between the two.
Definitely agree with you regarding the chassis, diesels are the winner hands down. I was referring to the box of stuff on top.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:08 AM   #178

Have a friend that owns a coach with the Ford F53 medium truck chassis and V-10. That engine really spins up under a load! Says he's tired of all the whining and growling from the front of the coach when he's pulling hills towing his toad. Said he will either shop for a diesel pusher, or make his wife ride in the toad in order to cut down at least HALF of the noise while going up hills!
Old 05-15-2016, 07:13 AM   #179

LOL
Old 05-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #180

Well if she is back there she could fire the toad up and push.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #181

The age old debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGC View Post
I agree completely having a 36LA
I do not even feel the need for 5 star tune as ours runs fine with stock tune and suspension. I do not like cruise so I never use it. No problem keeping the revs at reasonable level except for the odd steep incline. Gets us where ever we want to go and it will outlast me. Yet to see many high mileage DP's.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
I agree completely having a 36LA
I do not even feel the need for 5 star tune as ours runs fine with stock tune and suspension. I do not like cruise so I never use it. No problem keeping the revs at reasonable level except for the odd steep incline. Gets us where ever we want to go and it will outlast me. Yet to see many high mileage DP's.
X2...We have experienced the same with our Canyon Star, and the severe engine noise that people(who don't own a gas MH) frequently over exaggerate doesn't exist. Sure it gets a little louder when climbing grades, but nothing that bothers us. I think people who comment on how bad the ride is, or engine noise is, or supposed lack of power, have only driven older gas MH's or brands that did not engineer the MH to the chassis properly. Or they are listening to a friend of a friend ect, and have no personal knowledge of how the newer Ford Chassis handles.

Closed Thread

Tags
diesel