Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #183

Thor Owners Club
^^^Also agree with this post. I think often times noise levels and lack of power are exaggerated by those who drive pushers. My previous rig was an '02 Itasca with a WH/8.1, it did get us where we wanted to go, even over mountains if anyone can believe that. The noise from the cooling fan was very audible but not obnoxious. A gas engine makes it's peak power output at over twicwe the rpm as a diesel so naturally it will be louder. I immediately noticed a huge improvement in stability when we got our pusher though, but it's likely it was because the new pusher was 14,000lbs heavier and 8' longer.

Our previous rig was all paid for and we held the title, the new DP has a note, a big one. Everytime we get her out on the highway we seem to justify the payment a little more. The spouse and I have no trouble at all with the upgrade. It was worth it to us but I do understand a big purchase is not on everyone's to do list. I say buy what you can afford, you will still have a blast getting out on the road and seeing the countryside.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 07:13 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Really? We bought our first DP in 2000 when I was 53, guess I didn't get the memo!
What he said. I just picked up my first DP (its also my first coach) at age 39. Guess I didn't get the memo either. Though, one thing that I have gotten loud and clear is the picture that there is no guarantee of tomorrow. Hug the kids, live life, and put out the slides, and fill up the tank with whatever it takes.

John

Old 05-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #185

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotspike View Post
What he said. I just picked up my first DP (its also my first coach) at age 39. Guess I didn't get the memo either. Though, one thing that I have gotten loud and clear is the picture that there is no guarantee of tomorrow. Hug the kids, live life, and put out the slides, and fill up the tank with whatever it takes.

John

Add another under 60 year old buying a DP. Turn 50 in November and buying a DP 3 months later.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #186

Monaco Owners Club
The Truth about Diesel Pushers - WoW some news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Add another under 60 year old buying a DP. Turn 50 in November and buying a DP 3 months later.

We Purchased our DP 2 months ago and are both under 50 (46 and 47).
Old 05-15-2016, 11:45 PM   #187

Alpine Owners Club
I upgraded from a series of gassers to a DP when I was 57, maybe that memo never got circulated, or I got the one that said get what you enjoy. Yes my last gasser was an older one, 2002, my DP is 2005 and a LOT quieter, rides better and pulling our toad, only drops a mph or 2 going up the worst grades either side of the Rockies.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:55 PM   #188

Thor Owners Club
Spouse and I are both mid 40s, life is too short to wait for stuff you want.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:33 AM   #189

Yes, I HAVE owned (and thus driven) gas motor homes. NEVER AGAIN! The screaming motor that has to downshift three gears on an overpass was so bad the wife refused to go anywhere anymore. The last and final gasser that the wife refused to use anymore was a 2014 Winnebago. It was either get rid of the gasser or get rid of the wife. I chose to keep the wife.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:39 AM   #190

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
X2...We have experienced the same with our Canyon Star, and the severe engine noise that people(who don't own a gas MH) frequently over exaggerate doesn't exist. Sure it gets a little louder when climbing grades, but nothing that bothers us. I think people who comment on how bad the ride is, or engine noise is, or supposed lack of power, have only driven older gas MH's or brands that did not engineer the MH to the chassis properly. Or they are listening to a friend of a friend ect, and have no personal knowledge of how the newer Ford Chassis handles.
You can tell yourself that if want.

My brother bought a new C with a Ford chassis and a V10. Yeah I know it's not an F53, it weighs far less, so it doesn't work near as hard. Snappy performer, too.

I used to listen to F-4's at full afterburner on the cat, and I flew jets for 34 years. My hearing is no longer pristine. I can hear the the V10 howling under the dog house. Substantially louder than the Cummins ISC in the rear. We traveled togather on I77 through Va. and he couldn't stay up climbing hills.

You can slice your bologna any way you want, just don't expect everyone to buy it.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:40 AM   #191

This thread is taking on a new life of its own. From how old you were on your first date to what you chose between wife or coach. One guy said he picked his wife. Talking about craziness!

I do wish when someone talks about how terribly noisy their gas motorhome was/is (we'll cover our wives in another thread) that you'd add "what it was you were driving"? I ask that you do this because much of what we're talking about is a "Top of the line gas coach" as the comparison to a diesel pusher!

That would really be helpful and is really what this thread is about.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2016, 08:30 AM   #192

Monaco Owners Club
It would also make sense to state the dp would it not?
I mean instead of spending $180,000 on a new "top of the line" yet unproven gas coach, I would guess many of us spent less than $100,000 on a used dp.
I know we did.
Used 2001 Monaco Windsor. Bought it with 85,000 miles on it and now have 121,000.
And I am 56.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #193

Yes, gas coach and/or diesel coach would both be much appreciated!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaveguy View Post
^^^Also agree with this post. I think often times noise levels and lack of power are exaggerated by those who drive pushers. My previous rig was an '02 Itasca with a WH/8.1, it did get us where we wanted to go, even over mountains if anyone can believe that. The noise from the cooling fan was very audible but not obnoxious. A gas engine makes it's peak power output at over twicwe the rpm as a diesel so naturally it will be louder. I immediately noticed a huge improvement in stability when we got our pusher though, but it's likely it was because the new pusher was 14,000lbs heavier and 8' longer.

Our previous rig was all paid for and we held the title, the new DP has a note, a big one. Everytime we get her out on the highway we seem to justify the payment a little more. The spouse and I have no trouble at all with the upgrade. It was worth it to us but I do understand a big purchase is not on everyone's to do list. I say buy what you can afford, you will still have a blast getting out on the road and seeing the countryside.
only one reason needed to buy a diesel pusher......

cause you can......

used hay is cheeper than new hay
Old 05-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #195

This is my 1st MH and I've never ridden or driven a DP, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing not having one. I don't find the noise in this MH intrusive. Maybe I'm more tolerant to noise then most since I spent most of my life working on a flightline. The engine does get a little louder on hills, yet I've never had to yell or hardly raise my voice to speak to my wife.

The advantage to owning a gasser to me is I'm not living in fear of a diesel engine/fuel pump/radiator failing and costing $$$$$$$

Someday when I'm old, grumpy, and less tolerant I may get a DP, but I'm completely happy with what I own.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:56 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
This thread is taking on a new life of its own. From how old you were on your first date to what you chose between wife or coach. One guy said he picked his wife. Talking about craziness!

I do wish when someone talks about how terribly noisy their gas motorhome was/is (we'll cover our wives in another thread) that you'd add "what it was you were driving"? I ask that you do this because much of what we're talking about is a "Top of the line gas coach" as the comparison to a diesel pusher!

That would really be helpful and is really what this thread is about.

Thanks
there is no comparing a 36'-38' diesel to a gas coach....
the only reason to get gas is to save money...period............

Tags
diesel