Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
This is my 1st MH and I've never ridden or driven a DP, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing not having one. I don't find the noise in this MH intrusive. Maybe I'm more tolerant to noise then most since I spent most of my life working on a flightline. The engine does get a little louder on hills, yet I've never had to yell or hardly raise my voice to speak to my wife.

The advantage to owning a gasser to me is I'm not living in fear of a diesel engine/fuel pump/radiator failing and costing $$$$$$$

Someday when I'm old, grumpy, and less tolerant I may get a DP, but I'm completely happy with what I own.
that's just a way of say'n... I don't want a DP cause I can't afford it..

what if the engine blows in the gasser???

some people tell me that they get the extended warranty because the can't afford the repairs.... kinda like making payments on the repairs

my argument was I keep hearing that a dp will pull the trailer I have up the hill faster...just not true... my gas coach is 20 mph faster..

but, in all fairness , the gasser is only pulling 22,500 GCVW.... compared to over 30,000 GCVW on the DP...

the diesels cost more because they are better..period...

anyone that says they would take the 38' gasser over the 38' diesel if they were free... just doesn't know what they are doing....

they make the big gasses for people that can't or won't spend for the diesel...

same as the duallys...my gasser will pull the same weight as your diesel...

just not gonna happen .. now it might pull the weight you want and you don't need the diesel

if you are gonna get a 34' ... get the diesel pusher is my opinion...

the only choice in a 26' class a is the ford f53..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #198
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
there is no comparing a 36'-38' diesel to a gas coach....

the only reason to get gas is to save money...period............

That's it in a nutshell.. Lvrvluvr. While I'm very happy with my 36la, if I had lots of money, I too would probably own a newer DP.
I'm not sure what else the OP expects to learn from his thread, and at this point I'm suspicious

Old 05-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #199

Suspicious of what Rkh?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:58 AM   #200

Prefer DP's.. Have had a few. But one thing is for sure... If you lose a CAPS (cummins) high pressure injector pump, expect to fork out $8000 (going rate at Cummins) having said that, I lost it on a 16 year old country coach with 60,000 miles on it... so this unit was not driven much... thus, probably stored for a bit during its lifetime... Diesels will give you long-life performance, but they have to be driven..and brought up to operating temperatures every so often... If you let them sit in storage, your asking for trouble.. and maintenance is a must... Oil, filter, fuel filter etc.....They are million mile engines, all be it, the RV use of them is somewhat hybrid because of radiator placement etc,... but cant beat them for torque and towing power....
Old 05-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #201

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
While having our DP worked on at a Freightliner shop, had great conversation with many drivers... conversation started with - she's a 2011 but only has 500,000 miles on her, and it went on from there. They have their issues like everything in life, but they've got "legs" like there's no tomorrow if ya keep em serviced. 'Nuff Said.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:59 AM   #202

Quote:

that's just a way of say'n... I don't want a DP cause I can't afford it..
Not right now, it would interfere with my retirement plans. My Dad didn't buy me my MH.

Quote:
what if the engine blows in the gasser???

About $15K - $20k in difference
Old 05-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #203

Thor Owners Club
There's little argument a diesel is a better platform to build a coach on. But we should respect the fact that a pusher is not in everyone's budget. Not everyone can/will admit that.

'13 Tuscany 40ex
Old 05-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaveguy View Post
There's little argument a diesel is a better platform to build a coach on. But we should respect the fact that a pusher is not in everyone's budget. Not everyone can/will admit that.

'13 Tuscany 40ex
Well, there are a lot of places you can't go in a DP either. I live next to Joshua Tree National Park, but I can't camp there in my rig, it's too big. I see a steady parade of smaller class A and class C rigs going in and out all day, but there is a size limit that pretty much excludes DPs. If you want to camp under the stars in Joshua Tree (which is like my backyard but without the power lines blocking the view) it's going to be in a gasser. . . . . or a tent.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:19 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
This thread is taking on a new life of its own. From how old you were on your first date to what you chose between wife or coach.

Thanks
Isn't this the truth. You have succeeded in stirring the almighty pot of RV owners.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
You can tell yourself that if want.

My brother bought a new C with a Ford chassis and a V10. Yeah I know it's not an F53, it weighs far less, so it doesn't work near as hard. Snappy performer, too.

I used to listen to F-4's at full afterburner on the cat, and I flew jets for 34 years. My hearing is no longer pristine. I can hear the the V10 howling under the dog house. Substantially louder than the Cummins ISC in the rear. We traveled togather on I77 through Va. and he couldn't stay up climbing hills.

You can slice your bologna any way you want, just don't expect everyone to buy it.
You're comparing apples to oranges, so your post is meaningless. Smaller over weight Class C with a smaller engine is no comparison to a 26k chassis Class A MH. I don't just tell myself things to make myself feel better, nor do I care if everyone buys it. I put my experience in post, in actually driving both gas and diesel MH's, new and Old, so others doing their research can have an experienced opinion, not what their brother has told them. My brother in law owns an RV dealership that has both new and used, so I can pretty much try out whatever I want. Some of the older diesel MH's drive no better than the newer gas MH's, other than a little quieter up front.

Yes the diesel chassis is better when comparing new MH's, but may not be the answer for everyone. Some of us just like a Gas MH, and you get what you pay for, ours drives just like I have stated in several posts throughout this discussion. I bought a high end Gas MH and love it. I have no reason to lie, or exaggerate, or talk about how someone else's MH handles/sounds that I have never been in or driven. As to can we afford one, yes, but I prefer to do all my own work, which I can do on a gas MH.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Not right now, it would interfere with my retirement plans. My Dad didn't buy me my MH.

About $15K - $20k in difference
my dad left when I was 10 left my mom and 4 kids to starve...

I have worked and been on my own since I was fifteen

in the last 53 years my dad has never bought me anything..
not even a birthday card
Old 05-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
It’s a common belief that the term “Diesel Pusher” is because the diesel engine is in the back of the coach and the diesel pushes the motorhome forward. This is a nice story like "Mary had a little lamb", but like so many stories is simply untrue, a myth if you will.

As near as historians can tell the term “Diesel Pusher” started in Tuscaloosa, Alabama when the city mayor bought a diesel motorhome. On it’s maiden voyage it broke down in the middle of main street Tuscaloosa. A couple locals, graduates from the University of Alabama School of Engineering, walked over to help and were overhead saying, “It broke down, lets Pusher”!

Still other historians insist the term started in Brownsville, Texas when a drug lord purchased a motorhome for nefarious activities. His name quite coincidently was Diesel, hence the name “Diesel Pusher”!

Please don’t ask what historians say about the word “Gasser”? I'd have to direct you to a different forum!

Now that we have “Diesel Pusher” in its proper context, I have a serious question.

I was having new tires put on my SUV yesterday and a guy was talking about a diesel truck he had and that he’d never own another one. When asked why, he said something or other happened to it and it cost $13,000.00 to fix it. He said if the same thing happened to his gas engine he could have replaced the whole darn thing for half of that.

I know from posts on this and other forums something going wrong on a DP can be very expensive. Do folks factor that in when thinking about diesel vs gasser?
Perhaps so... But something to at least consider my friend... How the term is currently used is what holds its definition.. Not the origins.. There are many terms that originated one way in history.. But current definition is completely different.. Though a very interesting story and I thank you for posting it
Old 05-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #209

besides ford ...no one makes a class a 26'

i don't want a 34'r and can't afford to spend the money,...

i'm sure that my father would not aprove of me spending
money that he gives me that way
Old 05-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #210

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
Well, there are a lot of places you can't go in a DP either. I live next to Joshua Tree National Park, but I can't camp there in my rig, it's too big. I see a steady parade of smaller class A and class C rigs going in and out all day, but there is a size limit that pretty much excludes DPs. If you want to camp under the stars in Joshua Tree (which is like my backyard but without the power lines blocking the view) it's going to be in a gasser. . . . . or a tent.
Kept our Airstream 190 B van for 20 years or so - did a lot of small park / fed camping. Got that out of my system. Day trips in the CR-V are working pretty well for us now. 38 feet with the engine in the rear is just right for us now.

Closed Thread

Tags
diesel