Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #253

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotspike View Post
Though, one thing that I have gotten loud and clear is the picture that there is no guarantee of tomorrow. Hug the kids, live life, and put out the slides, and fill up the tank with whatever it takes.
Exactly!! Worked all our lives to retire, bought the CC mid Feb. 2015, Wife was terminated from her job April 30th. They diagnosed the HCC (liver cancer) in mid June. Now on the waiting list for a transplant. Now it turns out I may also have cancer. Won't know for sure for a few more weeks.
Planning on getting out for the July 4th weekend, after that we'll just have to see.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2016, 11:32 PM   #254

Alpine Owners Club
My philosophy, live life to its fullest, I would rather remember when, then wish I had.....

Old 05-22-2016, 03:10 AM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post

I'm convinced that diesels - partnered with their higher-capacity chassis and suspensions - are superior machines to their gasser counterparts, but that doesn't necessarily equate to superior application. A super-computer is infinitely superior in every conceivable way to a pocket calculator, but it would be stupid to buy a super-computer just to balance your checkbook. A computer with less processing power than modern-day toasters landed men on the moon... multiple times, no less. A gas-powered RV has the same potential for enjoyable, trouble-free RV'ing under the right conditions.

Buy the rig that's right for you and for the way you plan to travel. Just make sure you do all the math before making a decision this expensive.
Awesome analogy! I am new to RVing myself, just bought one 2 years ago. I am in my early 30's, extremely mechanically inclined, like, I-believe-I-can-rebuild-the-RV-myself-if-I-need-to-mechanically-inclined. I wanted the largest RV I could afford, no slides for less maintenance, and had to be used because it was what I could afford without having to take out a loan.

BUT! All the nicest looking ones in my budget were gassers. I didn't want a gasser here in SoCal with our mountains, and knowing I would be visiting Colorado with it every year or two, traveling through SoCal mountains, Utah mountains, Arizona mountains, New Mexico mountains, Colorado mountains. Then my other trips are often up north to Washington, which means more Cali mountains, Oregon mountains, Washington mountains.

Too many mountain passes for a gasser IMO. So I found an 8.3 Cummins DP mated to an Allison 6 speed and I had to get it. BUT. My tradeoff was an RV about 10 years older, which meant more wear and tear in the paint, more repairs needed on the accessories, etc,.

But I took a chance because I'm mechanically inclined. The engine and trans is solid, but I still won't road trip it yet because the maintenance history on the rig is a complete ghost. I bought it at an auction. It's 38 feet long, 26k pounds. With 120k miles on it, the DP was the obvious choice as I believe if I maintain it right I'll easily get 300k out of it.

Your analogy is perfect. I thought along the same lines when I made my decision. Not totally knocking the gasser. But knowing based on my use, I needed the DP. If I lived in Nebraska, I would have chosen the gasser.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:46 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Well, unless it's an old GMC, they're all rear drive...
Ummmm..... Are you sure about that? I was told that these run the Olds 455 power train, and that's front wheel drive

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
Old 05-22-2016, 06:52 AM   #257

Monaco Owners Club
Just buy something. Then buy what you should have bought first.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:00 AM   #258

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Coma, whatever you what to change my words into go ahead if that makes you feel better but never have I said or insinuated that anyone should share my opinion. That is the whole point of this forum to share ideas, opinions, and experiences. If the information on this forum has "nothing to do with the real world" then why would we waste our time replying to posts.
Fair enough, I must be reading too much into it. From marketing research, people with a bad experience will tell twice (or more) as many people as folks with a good experience. You have to keep that in mind when drawing conclusions about incident rates as reported on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I agree with you and have said many times their is no right or wrong, it's whatever fits one's needs on which MH they buy. And unlike others I have in no way ever put down the diesel MH. But at the end of the day the information people post should be based on actual experience, with whatever the question is at hand. Wouldn't you agree?
I dont need to get shark bit to post about how it's bad. Naturally I can't testify as to the quality of ride in your MH, nor you about mine. However, I can point out, for example, that when parked you don't have air leveling, etc. You said you had no experience working on diesels, neither did I till I started working on them. It's not a big deal. Sweeping generalities about diesels, they're smelly or expensive or you cant work on them are just as inaccurate as saying gas MH are underpowered and rattle traps.

In any case, since we both like to MH I imagine we agree on this more than we disagree. It's been nice discussing this with you.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:53 AM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow23 View Post
Awesome analogy! I am new to RVing myself, just bought one 2 years ago. I am in my early 30's, extremely mechanically inclined, like, I-believe-I-can-rebuild-the-RV-myself-if-I-need-to-mechanically-inclined. I wanted the largest RV I could afford, no slides for less maintenance, and had to be used because it was what I could afford without having to take out a loan.

BUT! All the nicest looking ones in my budget were gassers. I didn't want a gasser here in SoCal with our mountains, and knowing I would be visiting Colorado with it every year or two, traveling through SoCal mountains, Utah mountains, Arizona mountains, New Mexico mountains, Colorado mountains. Then my other trips are often up north to Washington, which means more Cali mountains, Oregon mountains, Washington mountains.

Too many mountain passes for a gasser IMO. So I found an 8.3 Cummins DP mated to an Allison 6 speed and I had to get it. BUT. My tradeoff was an RV about 10 years older, which meant more wear and tear in the paint, more repairs needed on the accessories, etc,.

But I took a chance because I'm mechanically inclined. The engine and trans is solid, but I still won't road trip it yet because the maintenance history on the rig is a complete ghost. I bought it at an auction. It's 38 feet long, 26k pounds. With 120k miles on it, the DP was the obvious choice as I believe if I maintain it right I'll easily get 300k out of it.

Your analogy is perfect. I thought along the same lines when I made my decision. Not totally knocking the gasser. But knowing based on my use, I needed the DP. If I lived in Nebraska, I would have chosen the gasser.
Welcome to the forum, lots of good information and good people here! And now one more.

Suggestion: Go to the User CP in the tool bar and you can edit your signature to show what type of rig you have. It helps people more accurately help with any questions you may have . . .

By the way, what coach did you buy? Year, make, model, engine etc?
Old 05-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #260

Hit_The_Rhod, that would be terrific if everyone listed their Motorhome in the signature block! Thanks for the great idea.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #261

Winnebago Owners Club
DP's are for old farts with lots of money, gassers are for the young at heart who like to live on the edge!!!!
Old 05-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Ummmm..... Are you sure about that? I was told that these run the Olds 455 power train, and that's front wheel drive
Yes, we are talking about the same coach. GMC was fwd with a Olds 455 and later a 405.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #263

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
DP's are for old farts with lots of money, gassers are for the young at heart who like to live on the edge!!!!
Hey... some of us old farts are on edges young wippersnapers can only dream of... and have found the fountain of youth (full time in a DP).
Old 05-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Yes, we are talking about the same coach. GMC was fwd with a Olds 455 and later a 405.
OK, that's not what you said and I got done looking at probably 50 of them at a rally a few weeks ago and not one was squatting high enough to clear a drive shaft
Old 05-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #265

Anything under 20K lbs will do OK with a gas engine. I'm retired with 45+ years in Logistics. Look at your over the road carriers and parcel service carriers. They're in business to make money and diesels are cost effective and will do a better job carrying weight around town or over mountains if maintained better than gas engine units. Next time you see a carrier or UPS truck try to find one carrying weight that uses a gas engine.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:59 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
Anything under 20K lbs will do OK with a gas engine. I'm retired with 45+ years in Logistics. Look at your over the road carriers and parcel service carriers. They're in business to make money and diesels are cost effective and will do a better job carrying weight around town or over mountains if maintained better than gas engine units. Next time you see a carrier or UPS truck try to find one carrying weight that uses a gas engine.
good info

Tags
diesel