Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #267

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
i thought i made the test fair... took 5 motor homes and went up the same hill

towed the same trailer..had both pedals pinned ... hit the hill at about 70mph and seen what it would do,,.

no excuses or anything... I wanted to find out which would pull my trailer up the hill the fastest... the mith that dps will pull the trailer faster is ,.. well.. just a mith...

I run 62 mph...I wish they made an affordable smaller DP... but they seems they like to load the diesels up to the limit...

i really liked the excursion...little slower but who cares...maybe 10-15 seconds to the top of the hill...we made the mistake of getting a black one....and the 2airs wouldn't cool it down in havasu,... and it wasn't even hot yet..

I got our freightliner to ride pretty good... ran low on cash and had to sell it..

I'd take another one... and if given the choice I'd take the diesel....just cause it's worth more if nothing else..

but in my test... they don't go up the hill faster...
Just curious which hill you used...I know the area very well. Was it that slight grade to RR Pass?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
Just curious which hill you used...I know the area very well. Was it that slight grade to RR Pass?
no, it's the 215 in the north west going south from lone mt .. it's the hill just past the Cheyenne off ramp

the hill Is 6%

I went 40mph on the 8 % coming out of hurricane Utah yesterday..

Old 05-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
I can pull the hill from the auto mall to horizon at 70mph
Old 05-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
Anything under 20K lbs will do OK with a gas engine. I'm retired with 45+ years in Logistics. Look at your over the road carriers and parcel service carriers. They're in business to make money and diesels are cost effective and will do a better job carrying weight around town or over mountains if maintained better than gas engine units. Next time you see a carrier or UPS truck try to find one carrying weight that uses a gas engine.
(Mic Drop)
Old 05-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #271

Loving our Tiffin Breeze 32BR so far - just over 33 feet. I believe its 28 sister at just under 30 feet was the shortest DP

2015 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Old 05-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkwny View Post
Loving our Tiffin Breeze 32BR so far - just over 33 feet. I believe its 28 sister at just under 30 feet was the shortest DP
does it have the max force 230 hp motor?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #273

I didn't realize the measure of a diesel was a drag race? It's all about reliability and who gets up there with less drive train stress. Just because a gasser makes it to the top equal to a diesel doesn't mean anything. Getting there without tearing the engine up and redlining it to do so. Do it again at 110 degrees, 50 MPH (a realistic speed) and watch temp and MPH not ET

Even then it doesn't mean anything

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
Old 05-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #274

I love my 30 year old pusher, and tow a 3/4 ton extended cargo van behind it which is usually pretty well loaded. I would never go back to a gas rig! The bus chassis is amazing in high winds sitting on the beach or going down the highway.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:56 PM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
I didn't realize the measure of a diesel was a drag race? It's all about reliability and who gets up there with less drive train stress. Just because a gasser makes it to the top equal to a diesel doesn't mean anything. Getting there without tearing the engine up and redlining it to do so. Do it again at 110 degrees, 50 MPH (a realistic speed) and watch temp and MPH not ET

Even then it doesn't mean anything
110 degrees... so you want me to do it on a cooler day??

what I constantly read on the forum is the miss information that a diesel with compete with a gas motor...

it's just not true...you have to turbo charge the diesel to make it perform... that adds cost...

what I'm say'n is my v-10 went faster than both my cat and my cuminums motor homes...

only thing it means is my gas motorhome will pull my trailer 20 mph faster than a 350 hp cat
Old 05-22-2016, 10:58 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilleshps View Post
I love my 30 year old pusher, and tow a 3/4 ton extended cargo van behind it which is usually pretty well loaded. I would never go back to a gas rig! The bus chassis is amazing in high winds sitting on the beach or going down the highway.
what if it was too big to go where you wanted to go??
Old 05-22-2016, 11:19 PM   #277

Then I don't go there, if I wanted to go places my 37' diesel can't go I'd be traveling in a tent
Old 05-24-2016, 07:12 AM   #278

Monaco Owners Club
I am older and just got our first pusher.
How long I will have it has a lot less to do with the decision as all the things said above .

I would rather have a great steak than a hamburger. Yea, I could live on hamburgers but we r talking quality of life now :-)

It's MUCH more coach in every respect!
Old 05-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I am older and just got our first pusher.
How long I will have it has a lot less to do with the decision as all the things said above .

I would rather have a great steak than a hamburger. Yea, I could live on hamburgers but we r talking quality of life now :-)

It's MUCH more coach in every respect!
looks like you have a nice set up
Old 05-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #280

Good for you JohnBoyToo, I hope you guys enjoy every mile in your new coach!

Tags
diesel