Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #29

Diesel vs. gas is as old as "Chevy vs, Ford" of my youth.

I lived in Germany for many years. Almost ALL cabs (taxis) over there are Mercedes Diesels. Mercedes factory (through the dealer network) gives out badges for 250K, 500K, 1Mil miles. Drivers proudly affix them to their grilles.

I also spent many years in the military. Needless to say, whenever there is a need for a truck (or a tracked vehicle), they are all diesels.

Then you look at what brings your goods over the ocean, what takes it from San Pedro to .....anywhere (OTR trucks), ...you look at construction equipment......all diesel. The choice was clear for me.

I will not wear out my diesel (despite the fact I purchased it with 100K on the clock) in my lifetime. I didn't "need" diesel for the longevity, or durability in many thousands of future miles. I WANTED it for the reasons mentioned by previous posters. I loved my gasser. It was lovingly restored by my own hands, but it was GUTLESS (compared to this one). In comparison, this one is built like one would compare Jaguar (from the 90s!), with Yugo (I never owned one, but I drove Yugo in Europe, and it was a good car for their way of driving). There is NO comparison in the quality of the build.

When I was younger, I liked "hanging out" with older guys. They had the wisdom,......about 1991 on the trip to Daytona in the converted Grayhound, one old guy told me......."IF you ever decide to get a motorhome, get one that's built like a bus. Motorhomes are built like....motorhomes, and the ones that are built on the commercial bus chassis, are the BEST. No swaying, no wallowing, no wind interference, ......the best."

I guess one has to take a big DP on the cross country trip to find out. For me,......there is no going back. I am shopping for Prevost now. Not ready to buy yet, plan to spend about the year to find the right one.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Diesels are cheper in the long run IF you intend to put miles on it. If you're just taking the kids to the lake a few times a year, gas is probably cheaper. The guys who put miles on for money, the professional truck drivers, ALL drive diesels, because they are cheaper per unit of work produced.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #31

The Truth about Diesel Pushers - WoW some news!

When a gas fueled motor is developed with the same power/torque curve as my ISL, and can push 43,000 lbs as well, I wouldn't even consider it.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 05-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Diesels are cheper in the long run IF you intend to put miles on it. If you're just taking the kids to the lake a few times a year, gas is probably cheaper. The guys who put miles on for money, the professional truck drivers, ALL drive diesels, because they are cheaper per unit of work produced.
It is a given has a gasser is cheaper than a diesel, just as a Chevy is cheaper than a Mercedes. And it is true that not everybody needs or wants a diesel just as not everybody needs or wants a Mercedes. Just keep in mind that the benefits of owning a DP go far beyond the difference in engines, and this is frequently ignored in these discussions. Don't ever test drive a DP if you are planning to own a gasser. The differences in the travel experience
are very substantial.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DP's are an age thing. When in one's 20's to 50's we still have enough sense not to spend $200k on a vehicle. But suddenly when we turn 60 and the end is in sight, we think "why not buy the best, I worked for it! Most folks who buy DP's don't work on them at all. They have no clue how much work it is to change a fan clutch in a DP vs. a Gasser. Of course there is the myth about how a DP will last longer between repairs than a gasser. Not true.

I've noticed that most folk that buy DP's have them for 10 years to 15 years. I see the DP's as status symbols, well, if we have to be trailer trash, we'll be it in style and have the best money can buy and we want all the neighbors to know it each morning when we fire that sucker up! BRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHH

A good friend of mine paid $108k for a 4 year old unit, then proceeded to put $20k into it. You think he will get $128k out of it? Not a chance, but he does have every convenience known to man on that thing and it does fire up his krueig each morning. Think he will keep for the rest of his life????
Old 05-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #34

I NEvER have a reply when I ask this question.

QUESTION: How many of you diesel pusher - pushers, have driven or ridden in a 2014 or newer top of the line gasser. Like Newmar and Tiffin?

Look, most of us take it on faith if one coach costs $200,000 and the other costs $300,000 there's a reason for it. But do you diesel pusher - pushers really know how good today's Newmar and Tiffin gassers are?

We all know a DP is bigger, better and wares an Orgile sweater. My lord, we get it already!
Old 05-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #35

I'll be the first to admit it....I never drove newer gasser in your question. Still,.... I would not drop 200-300K on the gasser. For that chunk of change, I'd get me used diesel BUS, and chug along happily!

I also drive Jeeps (among others), and there is a saying about Jeeps......"it's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand."

So....."it's a diesel bus thing, you wouldn't understand".

I don't mean to say that gasser owners are in the wrong,....not at all. I also happen to like classy blondes, rare steaks, single malt scotch, Monte Christo,.....it's a personal thing. As long as one is happy with what one likes, life is more tolerable.

Now,.....if one is married with children, and secretly desires LGBT lifestyle,....not a happy life!

Nothing wrong with LGBT either,......"do whatever makes YOU happy, as long as you are not hurting anyone else" (my "life philosophy"), and you are not pushing your choices (likes/dislikes) on anyone else.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
My Dodge diesel p/u just turned 315,000 miles.
The one before it 215,000 before I traded it in.
I factor in getting many many miles out of a diesel with very little issue.
You will never convince me a gas motor is better in any fashion than a diesel unless it's in a riding lawn mower.
A small riding lawn mower.

My 2005 SRW 3500 Cummins has 305K, I used to wear my gas trucks out at less than 150K miles with proper maintenance.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #37

I would say your tire guy was talking about the cp4 pump on his truck. I've read several stories where that goes out and it's a $10k-$15k repair. It's common enough that some are getting ahead of it and swapping backwards to the older cp3 pumps. The issue is when that pump lets go it sends metal though the entire fuel system so every thing has to be replaced including the injectors. One of the reasons I opted to stick with my current truck after truck shopping this winter. I want/need a diesel and none of the big 3 are what I would consider a reliable truck right now.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #38

What do you expect for $100/hr?? The tech was probably making minimum wage. Scary!!
Old 05-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #39

I've been on the fence for quite a long time. I just dumped a lot of skin and blood into my 2001 HR Vacationer. This MH has NEVER left us stranded, never quit running even when it had problems, and suits most of our needs. We do 5-6K miles a year, and that should increase a little as we move on. But for $70-90K I can get a stellar DP in the 34-36 foot range with records indicating all service and repairs. One that sold for $150-180K only 10 or eleven years ago. We're gonna drive the gasser this season, and when it's over we'll have less than 50K miles on it. Then it's decision time, but there is NO WAY I would spend $150-180K on a gasser just because it's pretty and has a 6 speed tranny that might get me 10 MPG. To me this kind of discussion isn't in my top ten. I've done mega research, and I think I know what I probably want if it ever comes time to make a decision based on what I might or might not know. AND, indecision may or may not be my problem. Period!
Old 05-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post

QUESTION: How many of you diesel pusher - pushers, have driven or ridden in a 2014 or newer top of the line gasser. Like Newmar and Tiffin?

Look, most of us take it on faith if one coach costs $200,000 and the other costs $300,000 there's a reason for it. But do you diesel pusher - pushers really know how good today's Newmar and Tiffin gassers are?

We all know a DP is bigger, better and wares an Orgile sweater. My lord, we get it already!

hahah... yep, i had a gasser.... 2016 model... traded that puppy in for a DP... gas sucks.....stop justifying it
Old 05-09-2016, 12:35 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Love my DP. My other 2 motorhomes were gas rigs. No comparison guys.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:13 AM   #42

Transmission Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post

There is a lively string about problems with the new Alison 6 speed transmissions in the newer F53's. Seems that quite a few of them are not working, and Ford is not helping.
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel