Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2016, 02:38 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
I test drove a 2012 Tour this week-end w/450HP and I was amazed how much better the ride was, no noise up front, turning ratio blew me away. If I felt that I had 15 more years of RVing, I would sell my gasser today. This coach had all the bell and whistles and more.

When I first started thinking RVing 10 years ago I spent a lot of time on these forum and folks would tell me, "If you don't intend to put 8,000 miles a year, then don't waste your money. Now I wish I had went with my first thought and got the DF.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #44
HGC

Truth about DPs

According to our local Newmar dealer 70% of all MHs sold today are gassers and the dividing line as far as interiors is bluring as to amenities and quality. My brother in laws 2001 Southwind has 60k mi. and runs like a good clock, and our 2014 Tiffin 36LA has a bath and 1/2 and a real decent interior and Ford chassis runs fine towing a Honda Accord. Plus it is really easy for me to do basic maintenance and I use full synthetic oil and grease. So far we are putting on max 5kmi. per year. So far I am keeping it simple and seem to like the Ford chassis. Put Sumo springs on and will install the 5 Star Tune.
Sure, it is not a Dutch Star (my favorite) but the Tiffin is far from a "bunch of junk". And if I keep it for ten years it probably would not have more than 60kmi.on it. That engine with synthetic should still be worth 60Kmi. more. My feeling is that it will outlast me. IMHO

Old 05-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #45

My point exactly HGC!

Hey Barry, what kind of Thor did you drive? I've always liked the Tuscany 45 AT.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #46

Much rather spend $100,000 on a well maintained used DP than a new gasser. I have owned both. My ISL lopes up 6% grades at +- 1800 rpms coach weighs 30,000 and towing another 5k, can't hear the engine, still doing 60 mph. My class a gasser that weighed considerably less and was newer had the V-10 screaming right next to me and going a lot slower up hills. Doesn't matter how well it is insulated the engine is it is still right next to you, only so much can be done. The biggest factor for me had to do with passing trucks. There is no comparison between the DP and the gasser in that regard. Sometimes on a windy day I would just not pass trucks in the gasser because it was tough to maintain a Lane and downright scary. That was even after adding steering stabilizer, sway bars, air bags etc. it was the rigid air chassis that sold me, power was just a bonus, along with extra water, holding tanks, more room etc. all in all both coaches did about the same thing when I got to a destination but the getting there is much less stressful in the DP. I offset the costs somewhat by doing most maintenance chores on the DP myself. Last trip an exhaust manifold gasket decided to let go. Cost of new manifold, bolts, gaskets and spacers was less than $500. Letting a shop do it would have been triple the cost. Yes the DP's do cost more when they break but neither the DP's or the gasser ever left me stranded.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Barry, what kind of Thor did you drive? I've always liked the Tuscany 45 AT.
It was a M42QD
Old 05-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #48

"There are two kinds of people in this world my friend,.....those that drive DPs, and those that wish they do."
Nuff said.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #49

Someone stole my fuel and fuel cap. I would be grateful for help in finding a replacement cap for a 2003 national islander. 2" crome screw in style. Please advise if you can ? Cruzcondo, THANK YOU.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #50

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
It’s a common belief that the term “Diesel Pusher” is because the diesel engine is in the back of the coach and the diesel pushes the motorhome forward. This is a nice story like "Mary had a little lamb", but like so many stories is simply untrue, a myth if you will.

As near as historians can tell the term “Diesel Pusher” started in Tuscaloosa, Alabama when the city mayor bought a diesel motorhome. On it’s maiden voyage it broke down in the middle of main street Tuscaloosa. A couple locals, graduates from the University of Alabama School of Engineering, walked over to help and were overhead saying, “It broke down, lets Pusher”!
As a graduate of the University of Alabama School of Engineering, I must tell you that I resemble that remark!!!!
Old 05-09-2016, 04:57 PM   #51

We know you do CB, I still have the 8x10 glossy!
Old 05-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Ive owned both...the diesel was more powerful and had smoother suspension. Maintenance was far higher on the deisel as i usually worked off of fluid age vs.milage only put 4000 miles on per year.(changed oil and filters once a year)...2 more filters and 3 times the oil in the deisel...same once a year change with the gas v10.The handling is very
similar between the two 22,000 lb f35 chassis.
32000 lb.freightliner x.c chassis. 2000 and 2001
respectivly. if anything i found the deisel a bit more top heavy.The deisel was more comfortable for Long trips and easier to drive in the mountain's.Because there are more expensive systems on a deisel ie air brakes more air bags bigger tires, bigger batteries ...these things all last the same as in a gas rv except maybe the brakes...but cost far more to replace.I think it boils down to budget and the amount of driving you will do..if you put on 10,000 plus miles a year or live part time in your rv, and want the living and storage space, and have 1500 plus dollars a year for maintenance then a deisel might be the way to go. You'll get 150,000 miles easily out of a well maintained gas engine which in most rv's far outlasts the second or maybe third owners who only put on 5,000 miles per year, and average maintenance is about a third the cost.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
These discussion about fuel always make me chuckle....and misses the mark completely.

It's all about the amenities. Do you like the room of a four slide 45' ? How about endless hot water and quiet hot water heat? Want to tow 10k-18k? Three air conditioners? Cargo capacity of 7k? Do want the stability of tag axle? The storage of a raised rail chassis? The virtual absence of engine noise? The handling of outboard airbags? The convenience of air leveling? Generator in the front and sleeping in the back? And so on.

Most of those things are not available on a gas mh at any price. My old Dynasty has most of these at a cost of less than what my brother bought a new 32' C class.

He's happy and so am I, it really is about the amenities.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #54
HGC

Truth about DPs

The newer high end gassers Tiffin, Newmar, and Fleetwood with Sumo springs really are decent and my wife can sleep in the rear BR without a noise problem as we travel.
But someday I would love to have a well kept used Dutch Star.
One thing i don't sweat is the mileage, because I calculate the entire cost of the trip, including dog shelter, lodging,and car rental. Not to mention the freedom and flexibilty of traveling, which is priceless.
Gasser or DP, IMHO it is the best way to travel!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Probably not! We just hope that never happens to us!
And we hope our extended service plan covers what does go wrong. Still won't go gasser. Love my DP.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 05-10-2016, 10:43 AM   #56

Forest River Owners Club
Good grief. All these forums have about boiled down to same thing. Eather bragging showing off what you have or bad mouthing other people equipment. Totally worthless

Closed Thread

Tags
diesel