Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think it boils down to what your needs are and how much are you willing to pay for those bells and whistles.

I posted above that I drove a Tour M42QD this past weekend and it was awesome but after thinking about it for a few days and crunched the numbers, I decided what I have works for us. The things that helped me make my decision was the yearly cost to maintain a DP. Approx 1200.00, higher insurance premium, higher cost for extended warranty. One good example, I change my oil and filter in my gas rig about every 3-4,000 miles and normally do it myself. Cost of 7 qts of oil and filter was $58.00.

Now with that being said, if money was unlimited, like winning the lotto, then there wouldn't be much to think about, go DP.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #58

Hey JJ, stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel!

Old 05-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #59

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hey JJ, stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel!

I really wish I had the time !! But I'm having terrible probs with my Moho! Every time I open the door my step comes out and it's BLOWING my mind!!!
Old 05-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #60

Beat your chest if you must, but your elitist opinion is not universal among motorhome owners (Sorry, moderator. I couldn't resist ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
"There are two kinds of people in this world my friend,.....those that drive DPs, and those that wish they do."
Nuff said.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:43 PM   #61

Thank you George. What trips my trigger is folks see in advance what the thread is about. It ain't marange pie on the cooking show!

I know that some were weened on a lemon but for heaven sakes. If it looks like a duck and it says it's a duck. Hey it's most likely a duck! If your going to read and post. Just play nice ok!
Old 05-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #62

Agree with you Hightway 4x4, my 06 gasser only has 5340 miles on it now, and 'YES' we do travel.... though still working....
Old 05-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
What many people do not take into account is that the entire chassis is different on a DP, not just the engine. Better suspension, better brakes, higher towing capacity and usually higher carrying capacity. The air suspensions ride better and handle better, the fuel, water and waste waste tanks are generaly larger, as are the batteries, generators, etc. The DP coaches come with more and better amenities of all kinds.

As for the engines, the DP engines do cost more to repair an a gas engine, but they break far less often. A DP engine will usually go hundreds of thousands of miles where a gas engine in a big motorhome would usually be shot well before reaching the first hundred thousand. Yes, you could throw in another engine at that point, but you still have an inferior RV in many respects to a DP.
where is all these dieselspushers with hundreds of thousands of miles on them???

one that get close to 100k are worthless and cost too much to keep on the road...

you have to remember that most the DP's running around have the little pick up truck motors and trans missions...

the one with the bigger motors are usally out dated junk that cost a fortune to keep running...
Old 05-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #64

Quote:
"There are two kinds of people in this world my friend,.....those that drive DPs, and those that wish they do."
Nuff said.
no more Kool -aid for you
Old 05-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
where is all these dieselspushers with hundreds of thousands of miles on them???

one that get close to 100k are worthless and cost too much to keep on the road...

you have to remember that most the DP's running around have the little pick up truck motors and trans missions...

the one with the bigger motors are usally out dated junk that cost a fortune to keep running...
Huh? Little pick up truck motors? I haven't seen those. My ISC is an 8.3ltr I6 and there is no way you'd fit that in a pick up truck. Most DPs are running commercial engines and transmissions such as you'd find in a bus, firetruck, etc.

I take it you don't have too much first hand experience with diesels huh? My rig is 14yrs old but still looks good inside and out. No issues, no breakdowns. Just oil changes.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #66

Quote:
no more Kool -aid for you
There must be something about a tongue in cheek comment that goes over the head of gasser owners.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #67

This thread is ridiculous. I own a gasser, now I'm being attacked. I thought this forum was more than that. Time for a time out.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

Since you asked, there are a few of them here.. I understand that you said "most & usually"

Is the Cummins C8.3 Mechanical Dependable?

Not sure I've ever seen an 8.3L or a huge Allison in a pickup ...likely cheaper to keep an old non-electronic pusher on the road than buying several gassers over a few years.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #69

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Did they at least get a kiss with that???
Not that I know of and neither did we on our rig!!
Old 05-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #70

Quote:
Nuff said.
What a joke, or at least I'm hoping you are. There are no right or wrong answers to this question, only what is the right choice for whomever is purchasing the MH. But some of these posts put out information that is either not factual, or really shouldn't make a difference in your decision of what to buy.

Think about the guy who is trying to do his research and relies on the "experienced" in their comments being reliable and not just based on ego. A lot of people read these forum as part of their research. Unfortunately someone may be able to afford a Gas MH , but not do so because they feel that they are "junk" and will fall apart like mentioned, or they may want a diesel but do not have the ability or knowledge to maintain them. They may just forget the whole MH experience to begin with.

Mileage-how many people really put over 100,000 miles on their MH's let alone the 300,000 plus miles a diesel should last. Once mine gets up to 100,000 miles I will probably want a new one just for the newer technology. You see numerous people on this forum buying new MH's every few years, and their "old" MH miles are far less than 100,000.

Ride- sure the diesel is a nice ride, just not sure it's worth the cost. They all do the same thing once you get to a CG. And like the OP asked has anyone driven a newer gas MH and compared it to the diesel. Ours drives great, and has plenty of power to get us wherever we want. I have passed diesels, just like diesels have passed me on grades. We have traveled thru the Rockies and the Sierras extensively and never had an issue getting there or back.

Amenities- you can get a nice gas model MH with pretty much the same amenities as the diesel models. It all depends on the brand you buy, you get what you pay for. Ours has a bath and a half, three flat screen TV's, large shower, a fireplace, a 10 gallon water heater that can handle multiple showers, heat pumps, AC's, 4 door fridge, and a bunch more stuff, how much do you really need in a MH to go "camping". If you need more I guess you would be staying in a high class Hotel.

Costs- you mentioned paying $200-300K for a new Gas MH, not true at least when we bought ours, for considerably less than $200K. The Newmar Ventanna diesel pusher, with basically the same amenities as ours was $100,000 dollars more than ours was. Is it worth it, probably so, but that wasn't really why we went with the Gas MH. But $100,000 more for the same thing when you are parked is a lot of money to consider.

Resale Value- a diesel should bring more money when you sell it, you paid a lot more for it to begin with. Do the math the percentage loss based on the actual price you paid for the MH is when you sell it is about the same either way. A lot also depends on how well you negotiated the deal on your MH to begin with.

Durability- sure it is said a diesel engine will last for several hundred thousand miles, but then again who is going to put that many miles on a MH. Read some of the diesel owners who come on this forum and have had to either have a minor thing fixed on a diesel for several thousand dollars, or have a total rebuild for thousands of dollars, and their mileage is far less than 100,000 miles. You don't really read too much about the gas engines failing or needed rebuilds, in the same time frame as some of these diesel MH's. You can put in a new gas engine a lot cheaper than you can a diesel, and contrary to popular opinion they are not bullet proof, nothing is.

Maintenance- a diesel is going to be more expensive any way you figure. The gas engine is just as simple as doing it on your car. Sure the diesel can go more miles between oil changes, but if I do two a year that covers me for 10,000 miles and only cost me $40 to do it myself each time. A diesel oil change is much more expensive, there are additional things that need regular service, and no matter what the mileage a lot of these maintenance items should be done at least once a year.

Gas MH's are "junk" and "fall apart"- just not true ours is built on the same assembly line as all the diesel Newmar MH's are, by the same people, with the same experience and the same attention to detail. Our fit and finish is right up there with the diesel models. Read the threads, things break on the diesel MH's just like the gas MH's. When it comes to the MH house body, they pretty much all need the same care and attention to detail. Brands may change with quality, but Quality Manufactures don't change the quality just based on gas vs diesel.

So at the end of the day there are a lot of reasons to go with a diesel, or go with a gas. It is really a matter of preference, and ability. If you put both down on a piece of paper, neither one is 100% better than the other, nor does everyone want to own a diesel. For me the choice really had to do with my ability to maintain it the way I like. I can work on a gas engine, have for years on boats and on the RV's we have owned. I hate to take any of my cars, boats, RV's into a shop for anything let alone something I can do myself. None of my cars, boats, or MH's have ever been washed by anybody but me, so that will tell you something. As to the House components,either gas or diesel, the maintance/repair issues are pretty much the same, as they use the same components for the most parts. And I would rather have a brand new MH, that I know everything that has been done with it and made my wife happy, than a several year old diesel MH.

So no matter what you buy, buy what fits your needs, and just enjoy using it as that is what it is really all about. Whether they are gas or diesel, they both have pros/cons, and neither is better than the other.

Closed Thread

Tags
diesel