Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
Very well said Mike....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 10:25 PM   #72

Haha... gassers justify and DP giggle....

Old 05-10-2016, 10:45 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterpeeler View Post
Haha... gassers justify and DP giggle....
Wasn't justifying, don't have to, we bought what we wanted and love it. Just giving my opinion based on research I've done and experienced. Giving an honest different perspective isn't "justifying". It's putting out valid info for those that are doing their research and want different perspectives. You will notice though most Gas owners don't put down diesel owners. Both have great MH's, so no need to justify either way or put down other's choices. But just go look at the IRV2 Classified ads....there sure are a lot of newer diesels MH's for sale with very low miles, (even though there are more new gas MH's sold than diesels)...who are losing a lot of money from their original purchase price.....so go ahead and giggle.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:00 PM   #74

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Wasn't justifying, don't have to, we bought what we wanted and love it. Just giving my opinion based on research I've done and experienced. Giving an honest different perspective isn't "justifying". It's putting out valid info for those that are doing their research and want different perspectives. You will notice though most Gas owners don't put down diesel owners. Both have great MH's, so no need to justify either way or put down other's choices. But just go look at the IRV2 Classified ads....there sure are a lot of newer diesels MH's for sale with very low miles, (even though there are more new gas MH's sold than diesels)...who are losing a lot of money from their original purchase price.....so go ahead and giggle.
By the same token diesel owners aren't putting down gas owners.
We've owned many rigs over the 55+ years I've been RV'ing. They all have their place in the buying spectrum. I wanted a DP, we could afford them so we bought what we wanted. We planned on some extensive travel, so far that hasn't happened due to ill health, deaths, taking in two grandkids and now the DW with liver cancer. Hopefully that will all straighten out and we can get on with the travel.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:09 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
By the same token diesel owners aren't putting down gas owners.
We've owned many rigs over the 55+ years I've been RV'ing. They all have their place in the buying spectrum. I wanted a DP, we could afford them so we bought what we wanted.
I agree with you, but his quote was definitely one of the ones where some(not all or a lot) of diesel owners for some reason believe they are superior to Gas MH owners. I think if you read back thru all the posts you will see some of those type posts. It's simply a matter of choice like you said. We have owned several RV's and boats over the years. When it came down to buying the Class A MH it was between our Canyon Star, or the equivalent size Ventanna. We could easily have afforded both. Was the Ventanna a better MH, yes, but it was not a better MH for us at the time due to some of the reasons I already stated.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:16 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
This thread is ridiculous. I own a gasser, now I'm being attacked. I thought this forum was more than that. Time for a time out.
Who's attacking you? Did I miss something?

Was it a run-by fruiting? I hate those.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:55 AM   #77

I have owned a gasser (78) and now a mci bus (91) .I know apples to oranges but ride is no comparison IMO. We went the route we did after looking at trailers 5th wheels. as we have a 1 ton truck with 6.5 in it so towing is no problem.
We wanted 2 full bedrooms as we travel with 14 yr son and didn't want slides for our own reasons. storage for toys and lots of stuff. 8.5ft kayak fits in bays.
It came with a 8.5 lt 4cyl.Detroit in and we had it's computer downloaded and it cam back with only 1 fault code in 26 000 hrs . grey hound uses 30 ml/hr as a average for hour to miles.Works out to over 700 000 miles.
We are never going to be in a position to buy a new unit gas or diesel and just for fun went rv shopping at local shop this past weekend. The unit we liked best was a dp with 89 000 ml on it and air ride. One other there was a gasser spring s with over 150 000ml and more $ . To us its a easy choice if we were to buy one.
Just our thoughts for us and not for others. Everyone has there own needs and desires, just no Fords for me . lol.

Chuck
Old 05-11-2016, 06:02 AM   #78

Mike and Cha, that is one of the most excellent summations I've read! Thank you for that!
Old 05-11-2016, 06:16 AM   #79

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Got tired of "every hill" is a major challenge (gasser).
On my DP I leave the "cruise on" much more and get better MPG....
Old 05-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
$60,000 just to get it running?..............I think you can replace it for about 30, and that includes labor.................someone tell me 60 grand to get it working, they are gonna get handed a set of keys................
Old 05-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #81

Ford Super Duty Owner
For us, it came down to money. We have owned several Cummins diesels and loved them but, we wanted a new MH and simply couldn't justify the cost difference for a new DP. We purchased a new Winnebago Adventurer 35P on a Ford chassis and love it.

We make the 900 mile trip to Lake City, CO every year and stay for 3 to 4 months. We pull our Jeep behind the MH and have a Can Am Maverick on a trailer that is hooked to the Jeep. No problem with enough power to pull it all down the road at 60 mph.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I agree with you, but his quote was definitely one of the ones where some(not all or a lot) of diesel owners for some reason believe they are superior to Gas MH owners. I think if you read back thru all the posts you will see some of those type posts. It's simply a matter of choice like you said. We have owned several RV's and boats over the years. When it came down to buying the Class A MH it was between our Canyon Star, or the equivalent size Ventanna. We could easily have afforded both. Was the Ventanna a better MH, yes, but it was not a better MH for us at the time due to some of the reasons I already stated.
It is interesting that in all this someone can read into a post that the owners are saying they are superior.
Seems to me folks are saying they like their COACH better.
How anyone gets the owner is superior is beyond me.
The size of the chip on some shoulders must make getting in and out of a normal coach a bit of a challenge.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #83

you guys are funny
Old 05-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #84

Alpine Owners Club
There is a reason for both a DP and a gasser. Today's gasses are pretty nice, but not as nice as the DP's, why you ask. The manufacturers recognize that the people buying gassers are doing so for price so they put the higher end amenities in the higher priced coaches. Some have tried to do it but it is like putting lipstick on a pig, it doesn't fool anyone, the construction is not the same, cheap plywood instead off real hardwood, plastic instead of glass, etc. I know there are exceptions, but not many, there are not a lot of choices.

Secondly if you have driven cross country in a gasser you will never do it again. The noise from the engine and the shifting up and down make it miserable, and no, I have not driven one of the 2014 or newer gassers, they are addressing the symptom, not the problem.

IMHO a gasser is for someone that is not going to travel far. It is good for weekend trips or a two week vacation, but if you are going to travel cross country more than once or twice, reconsider it. A DP has the engine in the REAR. Think about it, your gasser with the engine between you, no matter how much insulation or tweaking of the tranny, the noise is still right there next to you, not 40' behind you. How can the manufacturers possibly think we will believe differently.

Have you ever seen a 18 wheeler on a cross country trip in a gasser, no, they understand the difference in power and torque and are willing to put up with the noise for it.

It just seems to me we all have to evaluate how we are going to use our rigs. Mostly close to home and want to save the extra $100k+, get a gasser. Long haul travel and have the $$$, get a DP. But in either case MAINTAIN your investment so it can serve you a long time!

Closed Thread

Tags
diesel