Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #85
Member
 
jjSpeedwagon's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
There is a reason for both a DP and a gasser. Today's gasses are pretty nice, but not as nice as the DP's, why you ask. The manufacturers recognize that the people buying gassers are doing so for price so they put the higher end amenities in the higher priced coaches. Some have tried to do it but it is like putting lipstick on a pig, it doesn't fool anyone, the construction is not the same, cheap plywood instead off real hardwood, plastic instead of glass, etc. I know there are exceptions, but not many, there are not a lot of choices.

Secondly if you have driven cross country in a gasser you will never do it again. The noise from the engine and the shifting up and down make it miserable, and no, I have not driven one of the 2014 or newer gassers, they are addressing the symptom, not the problem.

IMHO a gasser is for someone that is not going to travel far. It is good for weekend trips or a two week vacation, but if you are going to travel cross country more than once or twice, reconsider it. A DP has the engine in the REAR. Think about it, your gasser with the engine between you, no matter how much insulation or tweaking of the tranny, the noise is still right there next to you, not 40' behind you. How can the manufacturers possibly think we will believe differently.

Have you ever seen a 18 wheeler on a cross country trip in a gasser, no, they understand the difference in power and torque and are willing to put up with the noise for it.

It just seems to me we all have to evaluate how we are going to use our rigs. Mostly close to home and want to save the extra $100k+, get a gasser. Long haul travel and have the $$$, get a DP. But in either case MAINTAIN your investment so it can serve you a long time!
You have no idea what your talking about dear sir. I own 2016 gas operated and I know first hand how it operates and how the fit and finish is on inside along with the components inside and I'll put it up against any dp out there and my weight to power ratio will out do you up hills down hills and everything in between. There is nothing cheap about my rig and it floats across the Hwy just as nice as any dp. I also owned quite a few big trucks moving more than 150k at a time and my motors were always up front with me. I understand and have more experience with diesel motors than you ever will and they are not all that and a bag of chips Dang swore I'd keep my mouth shut
__________________

__________________
Janice & John
2016 Coachmen Concord 33' DS300
2010 JK Sahara 2.5 lift
jjSpeedwagon is offline  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
It is interesting that in all this someone can read into a post that the owners are saying they are superior.
Seems to me folks are saying they like their COACH better.
How anyone gets the owner is superior is beyond me.
The size of the chip on some shoulders must make getting in and out of a normal coach a bit of a challenge.
Actually you read too much into it. What I meant was that their MH was superior. I have no chip on my shoulder, no need to. We bought what we wanted, and have a great time with it. I could go by a Ventanna diesel pusher right now if I wanted to. We took the $100,000 we saved and invested it in another area we chose, so it was a win-win for us.
__________________

__________________
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now  
Old 05-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #87
Senior Member
 
MRUSA14's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
You have no idea what your talking about dear sir. I own 2016 gas operated and I know first hand how it operates and how the fit and finish is on inside along with the components inside and I'll put it up against any dp out there and my weight to power ratio will out do you up hills down hills and everything in between. There is nothing cheap about my rig and it floats across the Hwy just as nice as any dp. I also owned quite a few big trucks moving more than 150k at a time and my motors were always up front with me. I understand and have more experience with diesel motors than you ever will and they are not all that and a bag of chips Dang swore I'd keep my mouth shut
You should have kept it shut because what you wrote is plain wrong. I am sure your 2016 gasser is very nice, but no way does it pull as well or ride and handle as nice as a big-engine DP. I don't care how many diesel motors you have owned. A DP is not a diesel motor, it is a diesel COACH with all that that entails. Quieter powertrain, better ride, better handling. How much CCC does your coach have (mine is over 6000 pounds). How many gallons are your fuel, water and waste tanks? (Mine are 150, 100, 100) How many house batteries do you have (I have 8). How many inverters? (I have two). How many KW does your generator put out? (Mine is 12.5KW). How much is your tow hitch rated for? (Mine is 15,000 pounds). Do you have an exhaust brake? Air brakes? Air suspension? Air leveling?

You will never match all these numbers and features in any gasser. It can't happen. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that a DP is is a big step up from even the nicest gasser.

I am NOT trying to say I am better than you, or to belittle your coach or say it is wrong for you. It may be a great coach and be the best coach for your circumstances and for many others. But it is NOT the equal of a DP.

A gasser may be the best coach for the money. That is certainly debatable, and for many it will be true. But the DP is the better coach overall, and anyone who says otherwise is blowing smoke.

There, I've said it. Now excuse me while I go put on my bulletproof vest.
__________________
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is offline  
Old 05-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
You have no idea what your talking about dear sir. I own 2016 gas operated and I know first hand how it operates and how the fit and finish is on inside along with the components inside and I'll put it up against any dp out there and my weight to power ratio will out do you up hills down hills and everything in between. There is nothing cheap about my rig and it floats across the Hwy just as nice as any dp. I also owned quite a few big trucks moving more than 150k at a time and my motors were always up front with me. I understand and have more experience with diesel motors than you ever will and they are not all that and a bag of chips Dang swore I'd keep my mouth shut
X2.....If he thinks that the gas MH's are being built cheaply and without the same amenities, then either he is looking at the wrong brands, or has not looked at new MH's lately. Ours has the same fit and finish as the equivalent size Ventanna, and there is nothing "cheap" about it.
__________________
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now  
Old 05-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #89
Senior Member
 
BarryN514's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 328
Quote:
Have you ever seen a 18 wheeler on a cross country trip in a gasser, no, they understand the difference in power and torque and are willing to put up with the noise for it.
Not a fair statement, 18 wheeler intend to put 300,000 + miles on those rigs and NOT many MH are intended for that purpose.

It has been said and said on this thread, it's a matter of choice and like I said in a post way back in this thread, I drove a Tour this past week-end and it was awesome but not worth the extra $$$ to me over my present rig.
__________________
Barry
2013 Bounder 34M
Toad-Hyundai Elantra w/Blue ox tow bar and SMI Delta Force Brake system
BarryN514 is offline  
Old 05-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #90
Member
 
jjSpeedwagon's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
You should have kept it shut because what you wrote is plain wrong. I am sure your 2016 gasser is very nice, but no way does it pull as well or ride and handle as nice as a big-engine DP. I don't care how many diesel motors you have owned. A DP is not a diesel motor, it is a diesel COACH with all that that entails. Quieter powertrain, better ride, better handling. How much CCC does your coach have (mine is over 6000 pounds). How many gallons are your fuel, water and waste tanks? (Mine are 150, 100, 100) How many house batteries do you have (I have 8). How many inverters? (I have two). How many KW does your generator put out? (Mine is 12.5KW). How much is your tow hitch rated for? (Mine is 15,000 pounds). Do you have an exhaust brake? Air brakes? Air suspension? Air leveling?

You will never match all these numbers and features in any gasser. It can't happen. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that a DP is is a big step up from even the nicest gasser.

I am NOT trying to say I am better than you, or to belittle your coach or say it is wrong for you. It may be a great coach and be the best coach for your circumstances and for many others. But it is NOT the equal of a DP.

A gasser may be the best coach for the money. That is certainly debatable, and for many it will be true. But the DP is the better coach overall, and anyone who says otherwise is blowing smoke.

There, I've said it. Now excuse me while I go put on my bulletproof vest.

Yea your right you got more air than me. Fo sho
__________________
Janice & John
2016 Coachmen Concord 33' DS300
2010 JK Sahara 2.5 lift
jjSpeedwagon is offline  
Old 05-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #91
Senior Member
 
Chinewalker's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Alberta
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
You have no idea what your talking about dear sir. I own 2016 gas operated and I know first hand how it operates and how the fit and finish is on inside along with the components inside and I'll put it up against any dp out there and my weight to power ratio will out do you up hills down hills and everything in between. There is nothing cheap about my rig and it floats across the Hwy just as nice as any dp. I also owned quite a few big trucks moving more than 150k at a time and my motors were always up front with me. I understand and have more experience with diesel motors than you ever will and they are not all that and a bag of chips Dang swore I'd keep my mouth shut
Of course your weight to power ratio will outdo me on the hills.

Maybe you even dump all your tanks and take on minimum fuel for even more improvement.

Speedwagon, indeed.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Journey 36G 330Cat
2004 Grand Cherokee BlueOx
Chinewalker is offline  
Old 05-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #92
Senior Member


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Satsop WA
Posts: 1,212
There are some good salesmen out there.
Real good.
The whole thing comes down we have all driven a gasser and a dp and we decided what's best for us.
I have never understood the "don't drive much get a gasser" theory though.
If I drive across town once a year I would rather do it in a Corvette than Kia.
But that's just me.
__________________
2007 Alpine Limited SE
TMan59 is online now  
Old 05-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #93
Senior Member
 
sam60's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 848
We all bought what we thought what would be best for us. Mine's old, but it was what I could afford. Gasser, DP, whatever...it is fun and life could be worse.

Can we call it good at that and offer each other a cold beverage at a campground near you?
__________________
sam60 is offline  
Old 05-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
Hit_the_Rhod's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salvisa, KY
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
Good grief. All these forums have about boiled down to same thing. Eather bragging showing off what you have or bad mouthing other people equipment. Totally worthless
yet you're here, and reading, and posting . . . . Just saying!
__________________
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline  
Old 05-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #95
Senior Member


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Satsop WA
Posts: 1,212
This is a good time for a story. This last winter while traveling through Arizona we met a couple from Minnesota that we became friends with. They came over and saw our Monaco. They were totally impressed with the satellite the washer dryer the bed situation everything about it. We went and visited what they were travelling in. They were in a pickup truck. With two chairs and an ice chest. The truck had a canopy on it and they slept in the bed on an air mattress. They had been on the road for 30 days. Later on we were chatting and he was telling me he was a little envious of my Monica. I told him I was a little envious of his ability to travel in a pickup truck and that we have both felt much the same. Would I trade him the Monaco for the pickup truck?
No
__________________
2007 Alpine Limited SE
TMan59 is online now  
Old 05-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Hit_the_Rhod's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salvisa, KY
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
where is all these dieselspushers with hundreds of thousands of miles on them???
one that get close to 100k are worthless and cost too much to keep on the road...
you have to remember that most the DP's running around have the little pick up truck motors and trans missions...
the one with the bigger motors are usally out dated junk that cost a fortune to keep running...
Here's my "worthless, and Junk" motor home . . . .

Dutch Star, 126,242 miles:
last 12 months drove a little over 11,000 miles
total maintenance costs $466.44
includes engine filters (two fuel, one oil) + two additional sets of filters
one water filter, + 2 spares
generator oil/fuel filters for the next 3 (three) oil changes
Minor repair parts (nothing much actually broke)
new Fumunto engine oil drain, still to be installed . . .

Yup, these things are EXPENSIVE!!! . . .Cost SO much to keep on the road! . . . not really.

I'd much rather pay for preventive maintenance instead of replacing/repairing a dusted engine!

Perfectly happy with my "Worthless" (your description, NOT mine) and "usally out dated junk" (once again, YOUR description, NOT mine, and your spelling as well!) Dutch Star!

Happy trails and drive safe!
__________________
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline  
Old 05-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #97
Member
 
jjSpeedwagon's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
yet you're here, and reading, and posting . . . . Just saying!
Yup. Your exactly right. I got my chain yanked about owning a gas powered moho and I foolishly bought into it and fired back. Just like you. Your a chain Yanker Funny all the false confidence people find in themselves with the cover of the Internet. Most of what is said on these threads would never take place face to face. Just saying.
__________________
Janice & John
2016 Coachmen Concord 33' DS300
2010 JK Sahara 2.5 lift
jjSpeedwagon is offline  
Old 05-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
This is a good time for a story. This last winter while traveling through Arizona we met a couple from Minnesota that we became friends with. They came over and saw our Monaco. They were totally impressed with the satellite the washer dryer the bed situation everything about it. We went and visited what they were travelling in. They were in a pickup truck. With two chairs and an ice chest. The truck had a canopy on it and they slept in the bed on an air mattress. They had been on the road for 30 days. Later on we were chatting and he was telling me he was a little envious of my Monica. I told him I was a little envious of his ability to travel in a pickup truck and that we have both felt much the same. Would I trade him the Monaco for the pickup truck?
No
That's so true, we were out in A CG a few weeks ago and camped next to a young couple in a Tent with a truck. We got to talking with them and they looked at our MH and thought it must be nice to "camp" that way. Afterwards I was talking to my wife and said those days were fun when we used to camp like that, and It would be fun to do again. My wife quickly replied "no way am I ever going to camp that way again, but feel free to take the grandkids out for a tent camping experience any time you want, and I'll just stay in the MH". Like you we would never trade the MH for the truck as we are really blessed to have all the conveniences of home while on the road, but those tent camping days are fond memories.
__________________

__________________
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now  
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diesel Pushers & Stackers Fabman iRV2.com General Discussion 63 05-08-2015 04:09 PM
Airstream Flat Front Diesel Pushers adonh Thor Industries Owner's Forum 5 07-21-2013 05:49 PM
Palazzo Diesel Pushers Get New Floorplan Duo DriVer RV Industry Press 0 07-18-2012 11:40 AM
Does the wind effect the diesel pushers? ncylee Class A Motorhome Discussions 27 06-20-2012 09:11 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.