Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #99
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This thread is better'n watching the Republican debates..

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #100
Excellent!. Thanks for a well-reasoned response.

Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
What a joke, or at least I'm hoping you are. There are no right or wrong answers to this question, only what is the right choice for whomever is purchasing the MH. But some of these posts put out information that is either not factual, or really shouldn't make a difference in your decision of what to buy.

Think about the guy who is trying to do his research and relies on the "experienced" in their comments being reliable and not just based on ego. A lot of people read these forum as part of their research. Unfortunately someone may be able to afford a Gas MH , but not do so because they feel that they are "junk" and will fall apart like mentioned, or they may want a diesel but do not have the ability or knowledge to maintain them. They may just forget the whole MH experience to begin with.

Mileage-how many people really put over 100,000 miles on their MH's let alone the 300,000 plus miles a diesel should last. Once mine gets up to 100,000 miles I will probably want a new one just for the newer technology. You see numerous people on this forum buying new MH's every few years, and their "old" MH miles are far less than 100,000.

Ride- sure the diesel is a nice ride, just not sure it's worth the cost. They all do the same thing once you get to a CG. And like the OP asked has anyone driven a newer gas MH and compared it to the diesel. Ours drives great, and has plenty of power to get us wherever we want. I have passed diesels, just like diesels have passed me on grades. We have traveled thru the Rockies and the Sierras extensively and never had an issue getting there or back.

Amenities- you can get a nice gas model MH with pretty much the same amenities as the diesel models. It all depends on the brand you buy, you get what you pay for. Ours has a bath and a half, three flat screen TV's, large shower, a fireplace, a 10 gallon water heater that can handle multiple showers, heat pumps, AC's, 4 door fridge, and a bunch more stuff, how much do you really need in a MH to go "camping". If you need more I guess you would be staying in a high class Hotel.

Costs- you mentioned paying $200-300K for a new Gas MH, not true at least when we bought ours, for considerably less than $200K. The Newmar Ventanna diesel pusher, with basically the same amenities as ours was $100,000 dollars more than ours was. Is it worth it, probably so, but that wasn't really why we went with the Gas MH. But $100,000 more for the same thing when you are parked is a lot of money to consider.

Resale Value- a diesel should bring more money when you sell it, you paid a lot more for it to begin with. Do the math the percentage loss based on the actual price you paid for the MH is when you sell it is about the same either way. A lot also depends on how well you negotiated the deal on your MH to begin with.

Durability- sure it is said a diesel engine will last for several hundred thousand miles, but then again who is going to put that many miles on a MH. Read some of the diesel owners who come on this forum and have had to either have a minor thing fixed on a diesel for several thousand dollars, or have a total rebuild for thousands of dollars, and their mileage is far less than 100,000 miles. You don't really read too much about the gas engines failing or needed rebuilds, in the same time frame as some of these diesel MH's. You can put in a new gas engine a lot cheaper than you can a diesel, and contrary to popular opinion they are not bullet proof, nothing is.

Maintenance- a diesel is going to be more expensive any way you figure. The gas engine is just as simple as doing it on your car. Sure the diesel can go more miles between oil changes, but if I do two a year that covers me for 10,000 miles and only cost me $40 to do it myself each time. A diesel oil change is much more expensive, there are additional things that need regular service, and no matter what the mileage a lot of these maintenance items should be done at least once a year.

Gas MH's are "junk" and "fall apart"- just not true ours is built on the same assembly line as all the diesel Newmar MH's are, by the same people, with the same experience and the same attention to detail. Our fit and finish is right up there with the diesel models. Read the threads, things break on the diesel MH's just like the gas MH's. When it comes to the MH house body, they pretty much all need the same care and attention to detail. Brands may change with quality, but Quality Manufactures don't change the quality just based on gas vs diesel.

So at the end of the day there are a lot of reasons to go with a diesel, or go with a gas. It is really a matter of preference, and ability. If you put both down on a piece of paper, neither one is 100% better than the other, nor does everyone want to own a diesel. For me the choice really had to do with my ability to maintain it the way I like. I can work on a gas engine, have for years on boats and on the RV's we have owned. I hate to take any of my cars, boats, RV's into a shop for anything let alone something I can do myself. None of my cars, boats, or MH's have ever been washed by anybody but me, so that will tell you something. As to the House components,either gas or diesel, the maintance/repair issues are pretty much the same, as they use the same components for the most parts. And I would rather have a brand new MH, that I know everything that has been done with it and made my wife happy, than a several year old diesel MH.

So no matter what you buy, buy what fits your needs, and just enjoy using it as that is what it is really all about. Whether they are gas or diesel, they both have pros/cons, and neither is better than the other.

George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
Old 05-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
This thread is better'n watching the Republican debates..
Make Motorhomes great again!!
2001 Monaco Windsor 40 PBD
Old 05-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #102
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Make Motorhomes great again!!

There ya go! Too funny. And somebody on this thread said I had less than 100k miles before my gasser would wear out.
I guess the the clock is ticking on my piece of junk Ford. Sighhhh.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:37 PM   #103
I started this post with an attempt at humor describing the origin of the term "Diesel Pusher"!. Like so many things it has taken on a life of its own with over 100 replies and 5,500 views.

Some here are like me, looking for a first coach, while others are old hands and have been around motorhomes for a long time. I for one have learned a lot of information here on this thread as I have from many of you on other threads here on the forum. I will keep reading, learning and asking questions as long as all of you willing to share.

Thank you
Old 05-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #104
Ford Super Duty Owner
The last post by Mike and Cha is perfect and should pretty much put the issue to rest!!!!!

2011 Winnebago Adventurer 35P
Towing a 2014 Jeep Rubicon 4 Door with a Can Am Maverick XRS 1000 SXS behind the Jeep.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #105
Talking about asking question I have one for you.

I was watching a video, what coach I have no idea, but it was a diesel pusher and they were showing how you can push a button and a floor goes over the entry stairs. Whereby allowing the passenger to have a place to rest their feet and I assume is beefed up enough that they can stand on it?

I never thought about the front stair well before. Do all DP's have the floor that slides out?
Old 05-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #106

Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post

I was watching a video, what coach I have no idea, but it was a diesel pusher and they were showing how you can push a button and a floor goes over the entry stairs. Whereby allowing the passenger to have a place to rest their feet and I assume is beefed up enough that they can stand on it?

I never thought about the front stair well before. Do all DP's have the floor that slides out?
I am going to yes, to your question.........On the left side of this picture of ours , you can see it there on a angle. It has a electric cylinder on it to make it go up and down. I can stand right on it when down, solid.
You also can see that big piece of finished wood on the door, it rests solid on all 4 sides when down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07375.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	126784  
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
Old 05-11-2016, 06:08 PM   #107
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post

Our present one has one that slides out, covered in tile like the rest of the floor, just push a button. The two Dutch Stars before that the floor folded up and locked into place, also with a push button like palehorse's above.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Old 05-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #108
Fascinating stuff, I'm a little flabbergasted in all the looking I've done I never saw that before. Wow!

How can you tell which coach has what?
Old 05-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #109
Start with where the door is located. If the door is on the side but back from the front, like in a gas coach, the entry will be stairs with no cover just like a gas coach. If the door is in the very front, like a bus, it will likely have a cover of some type that could be manual or powered....this is mostly a safety concern.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #110

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Do all DP's have the floor that slides out?

No, some have the door mid-side.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:15 PM   #111
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by LeRoi2 View Post
There is a lively string about problems with the new Alison 6 speed transmissions in the newer F53's. Seems that quite a few of them are not working, and Ford is not helping.
those transmissions in fords are fords not allisons
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on Workhorse W20 chassis 2009 Smart car cabrio toad
Old 05-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #112

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
You should have kept it shut because what you wrote is plain wrong. I am sure your 2016 gasser is very nice, but no way does it pull as well or ride and handle as nice as a big-engine DP. I don't care how many diesel motors you have owned. A DP is not a diesel motor, it is a diesel COACH with all that that entails. Quieter powertrain, better ride, better handling. How much CCC does your coach have (mine is over 6000 pounds). How many gallons are your fuel, water and waste tanks? (Mine are 150, 100, 100) How many house batteries do you have (I have 8). How many inverters? (I have two). How many KW does your generator put out? (Mine is 12.5KW). How much is your tow hitch rated for? (Mine is 15,000 pounds). Do you have an exhaust brake? Air brakes? Air suspension? Air leveling?

You will never match all these numbers and features in any gasser. It can't happen. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that a DP is is a big step up from even the nicest gasser.

I am NOT trying to say I am better than you, or to belittle your coach or say it is wrong for you. It may be a great coach and be the best coach for your circumstances and for many others. But it is NOT the equal of a DP.

A gasser may be the best coach for the money. That is certainly debatable, and for many it will be true. But the DP is the better coach overall, and anyone who says otherwise is blowing smoke.

There, I've said it. Now excuse me while I go put on my bulletproof vest.

I usually agree with most of your posts, but to compare your Anthem against a gasser is apples and basketballs. Compare a entry level DP to a higher end gasser. Some of the entry level DP's leave a whole lot to be desired on their quality both inside and out.

Working at a dealership affords me the ability to compare them all the time. The price point between a higher end gasser and a entry level DP isn't that great. Yep, you get the diesel engine and chassis, but that low price comes at a cost, and from my experience it's on the interior/exterior quality, and handling. The higher end gassers cost is due to the quality of the interior/exterior and handling upgrades. I get to drive them both all the time, and the difference isn't as big as it's being made out to be.

Yeah, once you start moving into the higher end DP's the difference is very noticeable, as it should be based on the cost. As someone who owns a gasser, and is moving up to a DP next year they both have their pluses and minuses. There are certain things I want that a gasser just can't provide like towing capacity, HP/torque, and the ride quality of a tag axle.

My favorite comment so far in this thread is someone said something to the effect of driver across the country in a gasser and you'll never do it again. Quite funny as people do it all the time, and are happy.

To each their own, and whatever makes you happy is all that matters.

Brian and Tammy
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Blue Ox Baseplate, Blue Ox Tow Bar, Patriot Braking
Closed Thread