Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #141

also, just a preferance and opinion..i wouldn't want a gasser over 30' as you can get the 32'r in diesel...

with the new 6 speed and ford putting 6:17 gears, i'm sure that the power is there...but wouldn't wanna pull my trailer with one
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #142

I'd like to move beyond the diesel vs gas for a moment if we can. Knowing all the different coaches companies out there lets stay on the two gas motorhomes that started this thread. Newmar Canyon Star and Tiffin Allegro.

We know whats on the ground gets us to where we're going which we've discussed. What about when we get where we're going?

• What about outside: The hookups, the inverter, the batteries, the fuses. Are the diesel and gas coaches comparable or is one more prone to fail?
• What about inside: The refrigerator, driver and passenger seats, couches, toilet, shower, windows, cook top, slides, floor material etc.
Again, is one prone to fail, ware out and require replacement sooner than the other?

This is information I'd like to know about now that we've covered the engines. If you think I should start another thread with this question please let me know?
Old 05-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #143

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
My wife and I are quite disenchanted with the V10. She really wanted a Brave 31 from Winnebago. We test drove using cruise control at 60 mph and on an overpass it would downshift to second or third gear and be SCREAMING!

In 2002 we bought a 2001 32' Fleetwood Southwind with a V10 on the Ford chassis, we had a great time traveling around the New England area. I was transferred to San Francisco in 2005. We made the trip from Boston to SF in the Southwind. The trip over the Rockies was very noisy. We both swore that we would NEVER go through that again. In 2006 we purchased a new 38' DP with the engine in the rear. We have since gone cross country 3 times, including a trip to Alaska and have been in 49 of the 50'states, and 4 Canadian provinces. With the engine 36' behind us it is MUCH quieter, with the Southwind the engine is right at your feet. No matter how much sound insulation you put in or custom shifting you do, you cannot over come the physics.

As I said in my original posting, we all must make our own decision on what RV we want to have. It is a personal decision based upon YOUR preferences. Research the options and make a decision based upon YOUR requirements.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #144

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I'd like to move beyond the diesel vs gas for a moment if we can. Knowing all the different coaches companies out there lets stay on the two gas motorhomes that started this thread. Newmar Canyon Star and Tiffin Allegro.
What I can't figure out is why the V10 in the 2016 Canyon Star is listed in the specs as 320 Hp.

The three valve 6.8 ltr was 362Hp. Did they reduce top rpm?

I've looked, can't put my finger on it.

Edit: Looks like lower rpm...

Not clear on whether they actually limited rpm, or just chose to advertise lower hp at lower rpm.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #145

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:

We know whats on the ground gets us to where we're going which we've discussed. What about when we get where we're going?

• What about outside: The hookups, the inverter, the batteries, the fuses. Are the diesel and gas coaches comparable or is one more prone to fail?
• What about inside: The refrigerator, driver and passenger seats, couches, toilet, shower, windows, cook top, slides, floor material etc.
Again, is one prone to fail, ware out and require replacement sooner than the other?

This is information I'd like to know about now that we've covered the engines. If you think I should start another thread with this question please let me know?

I think your doing nothing more than throwing bait into an arena full of diesel pride and gasoline pride for your own enjoyment. If you have your Moho decision boiled down to 2 coaches you should probably choose on your own which one suits you.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #146

Hi JJ, I should have explained that better. My meaning is there are all kinds shapes and styles of Motorhomes. My meaning is to use a high end gasser for the discussions on interiors etc. I hope that clears it up.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
In 2002 we bought a 2001 32' Fleetwood Southwind with a V10 on the Ford chassis, we had a great time traveling around the New England area. I was transferred to San Francisco in 2005. We made the trip from Boston to SF in the Southwind. The trip over the Rockies was very noisy. We both swore that we would NEVER go through that again. In 2006 we purchased a new 38' DP with the engine in the rear. We have since gone cross country 3 times, including a trip to Alaska and have been in 49 of the 50'states, and 4 Canadian provinces. With the engine 36' behind us it is MUCH quieter, with the Southwind the engine is right at your feet. No matter how much sound insulation you put in or custom shifting you do, you cannot over come the physics.

As I said in my original posting, we all must make our own decision on what RV we want to have. It is a personal decision based upon YOUR preferences. Research the options and make a decision based upon YOUR requirements.
I have agree with you on the south wind.. we had a 2001 32v worst motorhome we everhad.. no power. road like crap.. hated it... it had an in dash cd player.. road so ruff the cd's would skip
Old 05-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #148

more justifying...... sort of funny, especially the former DP owner... geez
Old 05-12-2016, 11:40 PM   #149

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
2016???
Yep.

Winnebago has done a nice job. Bringing back some of the original ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016Brave27B.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	126872  
Old 05-13-2016, 01:05 AM   #150

Quote:

WyoFree, you'll really have to go look at them to see the difference. The Diesel models are definitely going to have some fancier stuff and décor in them, but is it better, that's up to interpretation. When we bought ours we went back/forth between the Ventanna and the Canyon Star so I did compare the interior's too. I thought the Ventanna was a little too much glitz for what we consider "camping". At the time we bought ours they both were built(or could be ordered) with the same quality cabinets, flexsteel furniture, front seats, dinette ect. A lot of the components are the same, fridge, fireplace, shower, stove top, counter tops, micro wave ect. Ours had the same toilets(porcelain) and sinks as well as faucets. Slides are the same type build, and operate the same.

One difference in the interior for example the AC's on ours are central air with ducts through out the MH. On the Ventanna, it is a fancier interior ceiling design where you don't see the ducts, as there is a wood facia that they are under. I may not be explaining it right, but that is why you have to look for yourself. I felt the air circulated better in ours, but that may have just been the Ventanna we looked at.

I think that you will get a bigger inverter if you buy one with the residential type fridge, but inverters/solar panels ect, can all be ordered to your liking. On the diesel models there are obviously things you can get that you can't order in the gas MH(at least not when we bought ours). Of course the Ventanna has the Comfort Drive Steering, which is great.

As to the hook ups they are similar, but the Ventanna will have a little more room and some added features in the storage bays that the Canyon Star doesn't. The generator was also a little bigger in the Ventanna, but ours powers the MH just fine and I see no reason for a bigger one. As to the fuse box, I think they were the same, both mounted in the half bath.

As far as prone to fail, I don't think either one has an edge up in that area. Just because it's a gas MH doesn't mean it was built with inferior components(many are the same) or any less quality in attention to detail when being built.

Yes the Ventanna is very nice inside and out, and is definitely a step above the Canyon Star. But to me ours is pretty fancy inside and out for something we say we are "camping" in. The Canyon Star body was changed in 2014, and the front end looks much like the Dutch Star. When most people look at ours they think it is a diesel, until they look at the back and see there is no engine there.

I'm sure things may have changed a little from the 2014 models to the 2016 models, but both can be ordered how you want them and both are quality built. It all comes down to what works best for you, and how you plan to use it. We have taken several long distance trips, for a month or more at a time, in both hot and cold weather and have been very comfortable. We don't full time in it nor do we ever plan on doing that, so we do not need some of the things that others might.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:25 AM   #151

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
DP's are an age thing. When in one's 20's to 50's we still have enough sense not to spend $200k on a vehicle. But suddenly when we turn 60 and the end is in sight, we think "why not buy the best, I worked for it! Most folks who buy DP's don't work on them at all. They have no clue how much work it is to change a fan clutch in a DP vs. a Gasser. Of course there is the myth about how a DP will last longer between repairs than a gasser. Not true.

I've noticed that most folk that buy DP's have them for 10 years to 15 years. I see the DP's as status symbols, well, if we have to be trailer trash, we'll be it in style and have the best money can buy and we want all the neighbors to know it each morning when we fire that sucker up! BRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHH

A good friend of mine paid $108k for a 4 year old unit, then proceeded to put $20k into it. You think he will get $128k out of it? Not a chance, but he does have every convenience known to man on that thing and it does fire up his krueig each morning. Think he will keep for the rest of his life????
I am turning 60 the 27th of this month. You mean the end is in sight?
Old 05-13-2016, 05:28 AM   #152

Quote:

if you wait long enough I'm sure LVRVLUVR will have a video of him going down the road at 75 using all the amenities in each
Old 05-13-2016, 05:58 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
if you wait long enough I'm sure LVRVLUVR will have a video of him going down the road at 75 using all the amenities in each
with no hands on the steering wheel....ever see me drive my boat??

Old 05-13-2016, 05:59 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I am turning 60 the 27th of this month. You mean the end is in sight?
i'll be 63 this year...hope I make it..
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel