Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
my dad left when I was 10 left my mom and 4 kids to starve...

I have worked and been on my own since I was fifteen

in the last 53 years my dad has never bought me anything..
not even a birthday card
And I could pay cash for a DP. So I guess we don't know as much about each other as we thought
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 05:01 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
And I could pay cash for a DP. So I guess we don't know as much about each other as we thought
you are a good steward, because you don't is why you can..

those that can't do and thats not good...
Old 05-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #213

Quote:
you are a good steward, because you don't is why you can..

those that can't do and thats not good...

Wow, I understand and totally agree with that! . . . . . kinda scary
Old 05-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #214

Alpine Owners Club
I have seen RVer's move from rig to rig over the years, mostly going larger and from gasser to DP, I do not know of any going from dp to gasser, I know there will be someone to chime in here that they have done it, but I have not met/spoken to anyone, going that way, while I have met many going from gasser to DP. Maybe someone that has made the DP to gasser move can post why they did it. The only things that come to my mind are:

Wanted smaller coach
Wanted newer coach
Cost of coach or maintenance
Some combination of above

What have I missed?
Old 05-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #215

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges, so your post is meaningless. Smaller over weight Class C with a smaller engine is no comparison to a 26k chassis Class A MH.
The MH chassis and the C class chassis share the same drive train, check out the F53 site. I have ridden in his MH so this is my personal experience, too. I don't know why you thought it had a smaller engine, it appears as if you are under informed. That was my point. Your experienced opinion is yours alone.

My other point was that there is a difference both driving and parked. I'm definitely not trying to make your choice wrong or my choice right, it's your money spend it any way you like. I also understand that a diesel isn't the right choice for everyone, however, neither is a gas MH. Cost is a personal decision, too. For those wondering I can pay cash for what I want, I also do most of the maintenance.

Inferring that those who have a different opinion than yours aren't educated or informed does not carry your point well. There are some MH's whose only difference, amenity wise, is the fuel you put in them. I would agree that if that's the case, a gas MH is better value. It's one of the lovely things about RV's, there is a price and amenity level for everyone.

Another nice thing is that, if you buy the used hay (older diesel), you can have the best of both worlds. Affordable cost and maximum amenities.

I hope your travels are safe and enjoyable!
Old 05-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #216

A number of posts back "Mike & Cha" said;

"A lot of people read these forum as part of their research."

That's me! I'm the guy who started this thread and I'm exactly the guy Mike and Cha, are talking about. Many of you have posted information that is both informative and thoughtful. I thank each of you for it!

Snarky is neither informative, thoughtful or helps us research! You guys know so much I want to know and I thank each of you for the consideration you have given me and others in this thread!

Thanks one and all
Old 05-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #217

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
I have seen RVer's move from rig to rig over the years, mostly going larger and from gasser to DP, I do not know of any going from dp to gasser, I know there will be someone to chime in here that they have done it, but I have not met/spoken to anyone, going that way, while I have met many going from gasser to DP. Maybe someone that has made the DP to gasser move can post why they did it. The only things that come to my mind are:

Wanted smaller coach
Wanted newer coach

What have I missed?

Not trying to be "that guy", but we do see it our dealership. If I get a chance, I ask them their reasons. Seems like your options are dead on. Most common I here is they want to downsize, and they want something simpler. Don't recall any of them saying anything about the maintenance, of course simpler could mean less maintenance. I can only remember 1 or 2 saying anything about cost.

There was one that was quite funny. The wife wanted to downsize from a 45' to a class "C", the husband did not. He didn't look to happy as he was driving the new class "C" off the lot.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #218

Quote:

Wanted smaller coach
Wanted newer coach

What have I missed?
I've stayed out of this thread, since it is the gas / diesel sos over and over, but this note was something new.......

In our first year on the road, we met 2 couples that had just purchased new Tiffin 31/32SA gassers after owning DPs for years.

They did it for all of the reasons you mentioned........

Oh, and I thought a diesel pusher was an RV salesman convincing people that a 40'+ Motorhome is what they need
Old 05-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #219

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
A number of posts back "Mike & Cha" said;

"A lot of people read these forum as part of their research."

That's me! I'm the guy who started this thread and I'm exactly the guy Mike and Cha, are talking about. Many of you have posted information that is both informative and thoughtful. I thank each of you for it!

Snarky is neither informative, thoughtful or helps us research! You guys know so much I want to know and I thank each of you for the consideration you have given me and others in this thread!

Thanks one and all
https://www.helpscout.net/75-custome...es-statistics/

Here is some research about your research. Those with bad experience are much more likely to express it than those wth good. The Internet is where they go. Opinions without references are much more likely to reflect a poor experience. Finding an unbiased opinion is difficult. Until you can verify it and what it means to you, I wouldn't bank it. That includes me, too. FWIW
Old 05-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
The MH chassis and the C class chassis share the same drive train, check out the F53 site. I have ridden in his MH so this is my personal experience, too. I don't know why you thought it had a smaller engine, it appears as if you are under informed. That was my point. Your experienced opinion is yours alone.

My other point was that there is a difference both driving and parked. I'm definitely not trying to make your choice wrong or my choice right, it's your money spend it any way you like. I also understand that a diesel isn't the right choice for everyone, however, neither is a gas MH. Cost is a personal decision, too. For those wondering I can pay cash for what I want, I also do most of the maintenance.

Inferring that those who have a different opinion than yours aren't educated or informed does not carry your point well. There are some MH's whose only difference, amenity wise, is the fuel you put in them. I would agree that if that's the case, a gas MH is better value. It's one of the lovely things about RV's, there is a price and amenity level for everyone.

Another nice thing is that, if you buy the used hay (older diesel), you can have the best of both worlds. Affordable cost and maximum amenities.

I hope your travels are safe and enjoyable!
You missed my point, which was you have never ridden in my MH so you can't make any assumptions as to how it handles, rides or sounds...which is basically what you were doing in your response. As to the chassis, they are much different, start with wheelbase, tire size, and weight to begin with between a Class C, and Class A F53 chassis. Anybody doing their research needs to know those things make a big difference in the ride and handling of any MH.

As to your comment "Inferring that those who have a different opinion than yours aren't educated or informed does not carry your point well". That is the last thing I would ever think and I'm not sure where you get that idea. Read my posts on this thread, I just give my experience, and let others decide what is best for them. In fact most of my posts on any debate such as this start with the comment that there is no right or wrong, or better, it is all about what works best for the purchaser.

Have many safe and happy travels in whatever MH you choose, it's all about getting out on the road and having fun exploring this great Country of ours.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I am thinking of going to a MH - Jeep combo but want to keep the MH at close to 30 ft. Wondering why there are no "short" DP MH's or ones with a diesel up front like a gasser?
I have a 33' DP
Old 05-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #222

Quote:
my dad left when I was 10 left my mom and 4 kids to starve...

I have worked and been on my own since I was fifteen

in the last 53 years my dad has never bought me anything..
not even a birthday card
I remember reading this in another one of your posts, how does this all come together?

My father doesn't believe in paying interest so he gave me the cash to buy it..
as with most things in my life, when every it's a problem.... it gets handled best when I turn the problem over to him...

for some reason he doesn't want me to drive it right now or it would be fixed....maybe I ask for too much...he has more than enough to buy me a new prevost,... yet I only asked for a 26' winnabago..
my father is very rich....gives me everything I have...
Old 05-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #223

Quote:

Wanted smaller coach
Wanted newer coach

What have I missed?
You could ask LVRVLVR since he has had at least 2 DP that I know of and got rid of those for more than 1 gasser that he at this moment is driving.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I remember reading this in another one of your posts, how does this all come together?

My father doesn't believe in paying interest so he gave me the cash to buy it..
as with most things in my life, when every it's a problem.... it gets handled best when I turn the problem over to him...

for some reason he doesn't want me to drive it right now or it would be fixed....maybe I ask for too much...he has more than enough to buy me a new prevost,... yet I only asked for a 26' winnabago..
my father is very rich....gives me everything I have...
some day you too will know the answer...
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel