Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2016, 12:03 AM   #169
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The factory offered gas chassis will only improve when there is some competition...that is NOT what we have now.

There was a day before the recession when you could pick the Workhorse option...albeit a $5,000 option (8.1L and 6speed Allison...more than 8 years before Ford finally gave-in to offer their new 6speed). And even now NADA gives identical RV's a $3,500 price perk if they have the Workhorse chassis.

Well, Workhorse is now making commercial/delivery chassis with electric drives...not so good for RV's.
So...everyone out there in the InterWeb needs to send good vibrations toward Spartan to build the Extol and Revel:
See: Spartan Chassis
The big one...8.8L PSI gas V8! And possibly an airbag front suspension (and why not?!).

I believe there's room in the market for it...but that's just my opinion.

In the mean time, owners can tune the ECM, add a performance intake and exhaust, and even get an air-ride in the aftermarket...and with all these things, still cheaper than a Diesel (plus no DEF/DPF furnace hanging under the rig ) That's what we are doing...Keldermann air ride for the front end is on my wish list

Safe gas powered travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 12:38 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The factory offered gas chassis will only improve when there is some competition...that is NOT what we have now.

There was a day before the recession when you could pick the Workhorse option...albeit a $5,000 option (8.1L and 6speed Allison...more than 8 years before Ford finally gave-in to offer their new 6speed). And even now NADA gives identical RV's a $3,500 price perk if they have the Workhorse chassis.

Well, Workhorse is now making commercial/delivery chassis with electric drives...not so good for RV's.
So...everyone out there in the InterWeb needs to send good vibrations toward Spartan to build the Extol and Revel:
The big one...8.8L PSI gas V8! And possibly an airbag front suspension (and why not?!).

In the mean time, owners can tune the ECM, add a performance intake and exhaust, and even get an air-ride in the aftermarket...and with all these things, still cheaper than a Diesel (plus no DEF/DPF furnace hanging under the rig ) That's what we are doing...Keldermann air ride for the front end is on my wish list

Safe gas powered travels
I still think the smaller coach with the p30 independent front suspension would be a great bring back for the smaller coaches... I remember the 29'rs no slide out.. vortec motors road nice and were quiet...

I never have liked the fords over the chevy and workhorse chassis

when workhorse first took over I got one of the first ones where the widened the front suspension ... loved that coach...

I never have liked any of the chassis 's with the straight axel front... to me they all are under or over sprung

Old 06-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #171
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
lol... i'll be with you when I get the tow bar thing figured out

with sue following me in the jeep I can't hear a word she say's

Towbar = ReadyBrute Elite.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post

Towbar = ReadyBrute Elite.
I have the demco bar off my hhr... just need to get the mount done
Old 06-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #173

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Maybe next you could post a test drive with a "G" meter. That would be informative and scientific. You know "iron versus air". Forget what you think you feel, but have a "meter" tell you how smooth it is. Whole new area for your
"measurement of the proper instrument is used..as personal descriptions are meaningless".
"Air bag suspension truth and facts..."

You actually did it..good for you. They need all the input they can get !
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #174

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Could you provide some reading while the coach is climbing a 6% grade and the tach pushing about 5K RPM?
I believe there is only a mild difference between a gas coach and a DP at 62 MPH on level ground. The real difference is ascending steep grades.
our old bounder 1997 didn't take 5k rpm to climb a 6% hill, and even at the steepest part of those rare climbs for our 460 V8 was at times no more than 3500 and we could still talk and laugh about who should get out and walk.

life is a LOAD, also didn't see what a baby rated when crying at 2am
Old 08-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #175

I currently have both!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
it's just advanced communication ...being able to give a reference to your statement...

I don't need a thermometer to know it's colder in Alaska than California
makes for a better weather report for those that have never been to Alaska

she's gonna get cold tonight. but not as cold as Alaska...but warmer than Kansas..

this thread isn't for the know it alls, it's more for those that have never driv'n a gas motor home..
Liked the real data vs. opinion. I have a V10 Damon Intruder and bought a Safari Cheeta with the Cat C7. I drove the Damon from Phoenix to AR towing an Escape and drove the Safari to TX and back. The gasser was totally acceptable as far as sound. I does not handle as well as the diesel. Air bags, heavier wt. make a difference. So does oil change $600 for C7 vs. $150 for gaser. Both get about 8mpg. First cost: Safari a couple of yrs. newer, 3ft. longer, 4 slids vs. 2, almost 3 times the cost! Prestige? Maybe. Rational? probably not. Leave the money to the kids? They don't really need it. But, that's the curse of an engineers education.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by philand View Post
?... oil change $600 for C7 vs. $150 for gaser.

Sounds like you are paying very high prices for oil changes.

Speedco will change oil and filter plus lube chassis for $199.99 on a DIESEL

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470603296.008770.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	135206
Old 08-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #177

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post

Attachment 135206
Maybe that came with a rv wash and hand wax?
Old 08-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #178

Alpine Owners Club
And how often do you change a Dap vs a gasser?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:39 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
And how often do you change a Dap vs a gasser?

Most diesels specify 15,000 miles or one year oil changes (whichever comes first)
Old 08-07-2016, 09:31 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Safe gas powered travels
I had a Keldermann air ride system put on a F350 (both front and rear) when I was pulling 5th wheels. Keldermann puts together a great system and Mr Keldermann is a fellow RVer. They do have full hook ups at their factory in Iowa and they treated me great.

I miss my old F350 that was all tricked out...... but my Entegra rides better
dave&ginny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:11 AM   #181

My RV history:

1996 Winny class C gas
2000 Journey DP
2015 ACE 29.3 gas

For me the diesel was quieter than the gas rigs. I think primarily due to the rear vs front placement.

I added a layer of Dynamat and a layer of Dynamat Hood liner to the engine side of the cockpit deck and the doghouse on the 2015 ACE. Material about $350.

DB readings now are about the same in the RV @65 MPH as my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee @70 MPH. Engine heat transfer greatly reduced also.

Based on the one DP I have owned, i would probably not purchase another diesel:

1. Acceleration was terrible with the DP
2. Had a couple of engine issues that required going to service center with DP.
3. Diesel not available in 30' and under class A
4. Fueling was more of a hassle with the DP.
5. I can repair most gas engine issues myself, although have not had any yet.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:25 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post

Attachment 135206
Sounds great! I have no idea where a Speedco is. If I have to travel 2-300 miles to get to one, my $600 local truck shop doesn't sound too bad. PS. I'm in Mountain Home, AR

Tags
rvs, gas, noise