Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 06:29 AM   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by philand View Post
Sounds great! I have no idea where a Speedco is. If I have to travel 2-300 miles to get to one, my $600 local truck shop doesn't sound too bad. PS. I'm in Mountain Home, AR
Jiffy lube will do it for about the same as Speedco. Take your own filter.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 07:24 AM   #184

Quote:
Sounds great! I have no idea where a Speedco is. If I have to travel 2-300 miles to get to one, my $600 local truck shop doesn't sound too bad. PS. I'm in Mountain Home, AR

There is one in W. Memphis and one in N. Little Rock.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #185

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

Here is the Speedco web site https://www.speedco.com/en-us/locations
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmasters View Post
our old bounder 1997 didn't take 5k rpm to climb a 6% hill, and even at the steepest part of those rare climbs for our 460 V8 was at times no more than 3500
The Winnebago Brave we drove for a while would hit 5000 rpm just to go over an overpass. And it sounded like it was going to explode.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #187

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a gas coach. There is some noise on a steep incline but we can carry on a normal conversation.

It all depends on your coach.
CS PuraVida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #188

2016 F53 changed the game completely. 6 speed transmission and retuned engine.

I bet the reason that 5 Star is taking so long to release something for 2016s is that they really can't improve anything.

BUT

The real story is that LRVR bought a diesel rig. Care to repeat the test with your new rig?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #189

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripo View Post

The real story is that LRVR bought a diesel rig. Care to repeat the test with your new rig?

About an hour ago in another thread, I asked if LVRVLUVR would share what the comparison was and why he choose a 2004 34' DP. It definitely would be interesting to hear the same recording, on the same road in his, new to him, DP. He certainly should be able to produce a comparison on a gasser and DP of about the same age, that in a sample of 1 will show the "truth and facts".
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:40 AM   #190

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Philand,
What "truck Shop" in MH are you referring too ?
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:22 AM   #191

Quote:
2016 F53 changed the game completely. 6 speed transmission and retuned engine.

I bet the reason that 5 Star is taking so long to release something for 2016s is that they really can't improve anything.

BUT

Skripo,

I've been using a 5-star tune on my 2016 32SA for several months now. It has improved the shifting on my rig both for uphills when feathering the gas to get a down shift when I start a climb and on the downhills in tow haul when I push the brake to get the 6 to 5 shift (stock tune would really not downshift for that 6-5 shift readily). It feels like I gained a little power when towing as well.

I'm pretty sure The tune is available if you want it.

Best,

Dave
Old 08-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Skripo,

I've been using a 5-star tune on my 2016 32SA for several months now. It has improved the shifting on my rig both for uphills when feathering the gas to get a down shift when I start a climb and on the downhills in tow haul when I push the brake to get the 6 to 5 shift (stock tune would really not downshift for that 6-5 shift readily). It feels like I gained a little power when towing as well.

I'm pretty sure The tune is available if you want it.

Best,

Dave
I don't doubt any of your observations except for one. You may have a 2016 but are you sure it's not on a 2015 chassis? When you look at the gear display in the dash, is the last number 3 or 4?

I am asking because I just checked with 5 star again and they still don't have a version for 2016.

If you do have a 2016: The smaller chassis, up to 18K I believe, have an issue with tow haul mode, which the 5 star fixes. Mine is a 22K, shifts perfectly and tow haul works as designed.

Until they release a 2016 version and the performance claims are validated, I'm out.
Skripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:30 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Philand,
What "truck Shop" in MH are you referring too ?
I've been going to American Truck, on 201N. They seem to be competent on the mechanical stuff, chassis/engine etc. Why do you ask? Electronics, house, RV stuff, not so much.
philand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #194

A wooden stake perhaps?

Will no one rid us of this meddlesome thread?

Apologies to Henry II
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:11 AM   #195

Quote:
I don't doubt any of your observations except for one. You may have a 2016 but are you sure it's not on a 2015 chassis? When you look at the gear display in the dash, is the last number 3 or 4?

I am asking because I just checked with 5 star again and they still don't have a version for 2016.

If you do have a 2016: The smaller chassis, up to 18K I believe, have an issue with tow haul mode, which the 5 star fixes. Mine is a 22K, shifts perfectly and tow haul works as designed.

Until they release a 2016 version and the performance claims are validated, I'm out.
I guess I'm one of the beta testers, then. I have the 24k lb chassis and I do have the six speed, they did send me an update when I got rid of the 5 speed and traded for the six, and they did tweak the tune after I gave them feedback.

It will be worth waiting for when they're ready to release the final product, then.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
I guess I'm one of the beta testers, then. I have the 24k lb chassis and I do have the six speed, they did send me an update when I got rid of the 5 speed and traded for the six, and they did tweak the tune after I gave them feedback.

It will be worth waiting for when they're ready to release the final product, then.
Now thats interesting! As I said before, I think the stock tranny shifts fine, never heard anyone complain BUT if it makes real power I'm in.

Keep us posted.

Tags
rvs, gas, noise