Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2016, 06:29 AM   #183
Community Moderator
 
barmcd's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 3,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by philand View Post
Sounds great! I have no idea where a Speedco is. If I have to travel 2-300 miles to get to one, my $600 local truck shop doesn't sound too bad. PS. I'm in Mountain Home, AR
Jiffy lube will do it for about the same as Speedco. Take your own filter.
__________________

__________________
Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 07:24 AM   #184
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by philand View Post
Sounds great! I have no idea where a Speedco is. If I have to travel 2-300 miles to get to one, my $600 local truck shop doesn't sound too bad. PS. I'm in Mountain Home, AR

There is one in W. Memphis and one in N. Little Rock.
__________________

__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #185
Senior Member
 
DrDaveMA's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cotuit, MA
Posts: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by philand View Post
Sounds great! I have no idea where a Speedco is. If I have to travel 2-300 miles to get to one, my $600 local truck shop doesn't sound too bad. PS. I'm in Mountain Home, AR

Here is the Speedco web site https://www.speedco.com/en-us/locations
__________________
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #186
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmasters View Post
our old bounder 1997 didn't take 5k rpm to climb a 6% hill, and even at the steepest part of those rare climbs for our 460 V8 was at times no more than 3500
The Winnebago Brave we drove for a while would hit 5000 rpm just to go over an overpass. And it sounded like it was going to explode.
__________________
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #187
Junior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8
We have a gas coach. There is some noise on a steep incline but we can carry on a normal conversation.

It all depends on your coach.
__________________
Susan & Craig
2016 Tiffin Allegro 31SA
~early retirement, one weekend at a time~
CS PuraVida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 122
2016 F53 changed the game completely. 6 speed transmission and retuned engine.

I bet the reason that 5 Star is taking so long to release something for 2016s is that they really can't improve anything.

BUT

The real story is that LRVR bought a diesel rig. Care to repeat the test with your new rig?
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364 TSF
Skripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #189
Senior Member
 
DrDaveMA's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cotuit, MA
Posts: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripo View Post

The real story is that LRVR bought a diesel rig. Care to repeat the test with your new rig?

About an hour ago in another thread, I asked if LVRVLUVR would share what the comparison was and why he choose a 2004 34' DP. It definitely would be interesting to hear the same recording, on the same road in his, new to him, DP. He certainly should be able to produce a comparison on a gasser and DP of about the same age, that in a sample of 1 will show the "truth and facts".
__________________
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:40 AM   #190
Senior Member
 
skypilot_1's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Summer in The Ozarks
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by philand View Post
Sounds great! I have no idea where a Speedco is. If I have to travel 2-300 miles to get to one, my $600 local truck shop doesn't sound too bad. PS. I'm in Mountain Home, AR
Philand,
What "truck Shop" in MH are you referring too ?
__________________
Ret. Military/Corporate Pilot
Key West Snowbirds
"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter"
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:22 AM   #191
Senior Member
 
Dave-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripo View Post
2016 F53 changed the game completely. 6 speed transmission and retuned engine.

I bet the reason that 5 Star is taking so long to release something for 2016s is that they really can't improve anything.

BUT

The real story is that LRVR bought a diesel rig. Care to repeat the test with your new rig?
Skripo,

I've been using a 5-star tune on my 2016 32SA for several months now. It has improved the shifting on my rig both for uphills when feathering the gas to get a down shift when I start a climb and on the downhills in tow haul when I push the brake to get the 6 to 5 shift (stock tune would really not downshift for that 6-5 shift readily). It feels like I gained a little power when towing as well.

I'm pretty sure The tune is available if you want it.

Best,

Dave
__________________
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA
2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ Toad
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #192
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Skripo,

I've been using a 5-star tune on my 2016 32SA for several months now. It has improved the shifting on my rig both for uphills when feathering the gas to get a down shift when I start a climb and on the downhills in tow haul when I push the brake to get the 6 to 5 shift (stock tune would really not downshift for that 6-5 shift readily). It feels like I gained a little power when towing as well.

I'm pretty sure The tune is available if you want it.

Best,

Dave
I don't doubt any of your observations except for one. You may have a 2016 but are you sure it's not on a 2015 chassis? When you look at the gear display in the dash, is the last number 3 or 4?

I am asking because I just checked with 5 star again and they still don't have a version for 2016.

If you do have a 2016: The smaller chassis, up to 18K I believe, have an issue with tow haul mode, which the 5 star fixes. Mine is a 22K, shifts perfectly and tow haul works as designed.

Until they release a 2016 version and the performance claims are validated, I'm out.
__________________
Skripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:30 AM   #193
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Posts: 57
Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Philand,
What "truck Shop" in MH are you referring too ?
I've been going to American Truck, on 201N. They seem to be competent on the mechanical stuff, chassis/engine etc. Why do you ask? Electronics, house, RV stuff, not so much.
__________________
philand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #194
Senior Member
 
Sandy Swede's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 400
A wooden stake perhaps?

Will no one rid us of this meddlesome thread?

Apologies to Henry II
__________________
Sandy Swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:11 AM   #195
Senior Member
 
Dave-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripo View Post
I don't doubt any of your observations except for one. You may have a 2016 but are you sure it's not on a 2015 chassis? When you look at the gear display in the dash, is the last number 3 or 4?

I am asking because I just checked with 5 star again and they still don't have a version for 2016.

If you do have a 2016: The smaller chassis, up to 18K I believe, have an issue with tow haul mode, which the 5 star fixes. Mine is a 22K, shifts perfectly and tow haul works as designed.

Until they release a 2016 version and the performance claims are validated, I'm out.
I guess I'm one of the beta testers, then. I have the 24k lb chassis and I do have the six speed, they did send me an update when I got rid of the 5 speed and traded for the six, and they did tweak the tune after I gave them feedback.

It will be worth waiting for when they're ready to release the final product, then.
__________________
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA
2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ Toad
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #196
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
I guess I'm one of the beta testers, then. I have the 24k lb chassis and I do have the six speed, they did send me an update when I got rid of the 5 speed and traded for the six, and they did tweak the tune after I gave them feedback.

It will be worth waiting for when they're ready to release the final product, then.
Now thats interesting! As I said before, I think the stock tranny shifts fine, never heard anyone complain BUT if it makes real power I'm in.

Keep us posted.
__________________

__________________
2016 Georgetown 364 TSF
Skripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rvs, gas, noise



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noise level driving front end diesel vs gas. Keithmq MH-General Discussions & Problems 17 06-03-2014 07:51 PM
Ain't it the Truth John Harrelson RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories 7 02-08-2009 05:42 AM
XM - SIRIUS History and Current Facts Rich & Zara Just Conversation 1 11-13-2008 02:41 PM
Tropical Palms---The Truth GaryKD Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 2 11-13-2006 03:36 PM
The Truth About Workhorse and UFOs DriVer RV Industry Press 3 08-24-2006 12:22 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.