Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Soooo in the interest of scientific audiology research, whats the db level in the bedroom when going up a 6% grade in reverse...with a Ford V10 Eco-what ever...pushin a 22 ft trailer at 62 mph? jus wonderin
solo or with the wife

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #58

believe it or not, I do this for the feed back,... the thanks I get from others that find what I post helpfull.... the people that see that they can make their motor home drivable .. and see that they can tow a fair amount... the ones that thank me for showing what and why their coach shakes and viberates

diesel and gas coaches,...

sure there are hecklers,... but should I not post to make them happy..or post and help the others...

it seems easy to me if a thread is not for me to just move on..

Old 05-23-2016, 03:14 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
believe it or not, I do this for the feed back,... the thanks I get from others that find what I post helpfull.... the people that see that they can make their motor home drivable .. and see that they can tow a fair amount... the ones that thank me for showing what and why their coach shakes and viberates

diesel and gas coaches,...

sure there are hecklers,... but should I not post to make them happy..or post and help the others...

it seems easy to me if a thread is not for me to just move on..
On the serious side I feel your thread was very informative and humorous as well. Good on you mate !
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
On the serious side I feel your thread was very informative and humorous as well. Good on you mate !
thanks for the kind words... keep it real and keep it fun
Old 05-23-2016, 07:19 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Noise level discussion

I also find this very informative, this takes a lot of work, I appreciate the effort! I bought a DP. Mainly for 1 reason, the gas rigs didn't have the weight rating to tow my boat. I have to say I'm extremely happy with the ride and quiet ride, but I'm sure in the nod I'm paying a premium price for that luxury! Regards Marc
Old 05-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is amazing how many people complain about how loud or how bad their new coach drives. They must be like this guy who never test drove his new coach on the highway and apparently never drove any other coach.
Death Trap
Hay they don't drive and handle like your luxury SUV and may be noisier.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:57 PM   #63

I truly miss my winnebago gas with the chevy 454. While driving it I was in a peaceful bliss listening to the fan run, but now with our current coach I have to listen to my wife yak all day long while I'm trying to enjoy myself....

Which ever you decide, gas or diesel, its hard to beat the view and comfort from a class "A"
Old 05-24-2016, 12:08 AM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the point is as a couple others have said, gas coaches are nowhere near as loud as some folks make them out to be. I have a 5 star tune and even on steep grades it no longer screams. We can carry on normal conversations even while climbing 6 degrees with a 20 foot enclosed trailer behind our bounder and pass most trucks and a lot of DP's. Now, that being said, I will be upgrading to a DP as it will be quieter and ride better, period, end of story. My personal opinion is that if price were not an issue, gas coaches would be left sitting on the lot.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:28 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
It takes time do this stuff with a video record and it really gives me a data point to reference. From here it's says my Honda generator ES6500 is 74db. Honda measure at 3 meters, so at ~9 feet my generator and your measurement of 73.8db are within the accuracy of your equipment of being the same. That Extech is +- 1.5 db.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I think the point is as a couple others have said, gas coaches are nowhere near as loud as some folks make them out to be. I have a 5 star tune and even on steep grades it no longer screams. We can carry on normal conversations even while climbing 6 degrees with a 20 foot enclosed trailer behind our bounder and pass most trucks and a lot of DP's. Now, that being said, I will be upgrading to a DP as it will be quieter and ride better, period, end of story. My personal opinion is that if price were not an issue, gas coaches would be left sitting on the lot.
not only price but size...but that's a hole different story...
my 26'r is compact and does the job..
wife want bigger,,,she calls it a cramper
as history repetes, we will probley be getting a bigger diesel pusher

but as the thread is about measuring and comparing sounds,.. and that the gas front engines is what it is ..I measured at idle with the wind blowing and sitting at a stop light..53db
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2699.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	128072  
Old 05-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #67

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
not only price but size...but that's a hole different story...

my 26'r is compact and does the job..

wife want bigger,,,she calls it a cramper

as history repetes, we will probley be getting a bigger diesel pusher

but as the thread is about measuring and comparing sounds,.. and that the gas front engines is what it is ..I measured at idle with the wind blowing and sitting at a stop light..53db

You did a good Job of giving us measurement of the noise levels in one gasser, but I have missed the measurements in a DP so a comparison can be made. I also agree manufacturers have made advances in sound deadening over the last few years, a side issue I see is that there are a lot of older coaches out there that are being considered for purchase.

There is a niche for both gasser and DP's, when considering a purchase, folks need to determine their priorities and your thread will help them research their purchase. Keep up the good work, I look forward to some DP data as well as other gasser information.
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:06 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
You did a good Job of giving us measurement of the noise levels in one gasser, but I have missed the measurements in a DP so a comparison can be made. I also agree manufacturers have made advances in sound deadening over the last few years, a side issue I see is that there are a lot of older coaches out there that are being considered for purchase.

There is a niche for both gasser and DP's, when considering a purchase, folks need to determine their priorities and your thread will help them research their purchase. Keep up the good work, I look forward to some DP data as well as other gasser information.
Along with what you said the main thing is go test drive (on the highway/freeway) several different coaches so you have some idea what you are getting.

I could be hired as a consultant as I have quieted down at least 6 gas coaches, I have made at least one diesel louder.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post

looks like you have a DP... is it quieter than my gas coach?..
Old 05-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #70

Tags
rvs, gas, noise