Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #71

Alpine Owners Club
The truth and facts about noise level in gas RV's vs DP's..

Yes, I have a DP, as I mentioned in earlier postings we moved from a gasser to the DP. I did not do a measured study on the noise levels, but both my wife and I, after driving from Boston to San Francisco in 2005, because of the noise (we did have to scream at each other to be heard) swore we would never travel cross country in a gasser again. In 2006 we traded to our DP and have been able to have discussions since then (that may or may nor be good). I will not change coaches again, first because after 10 years with this coach I know every sound it makes and can recognize something that is not right very early. If I did trade I would stay with a DP because I like the comfort and quiet of a 40' coach. That does not mean a DP is better for everyone, it means it is better for us. I recognize that some of the manufacturers are building the gassers quieter and with a ride better, but feel that overall most of the DP's manufactured today are quieter and ride better, probably because they in the most part have a longer wheelbase, have the engine 40' behind the driver/passenger positions instead of right at your feet, have more wall, floor and ceiling insulation than the gassers and are generally priced higher. This does not make the DP better or the gasser less, it is simply a statement of what I believe to be the state of the universe today. All my evidence is empirical data, your method of gathering scientific data will help people better understand the choices. Thank you for getting this thread started.

Incidentally we will e doing our 5th cross country trip since 2005 this winter and will be in Quartzsite in mid January for a month. I would be happy to meet with you, drive the same road as you did in the above test with our DP so you can get scientific measurements for a sample of one 10 year old DP. Just PM me if you want to set it up.

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #72

The truth and facts about noise level in gas RV's vs DP's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Yes, I have a DP, as I mentioned in earlier postings we moved from a gasser to the DP. I did not do a measured study on the noise levels, but both my wife and I, after driving from Boston to San Francisco in 2005, because of the noise (we did have to scream at each other to be heard) swore we would never travel cross country in a gasser again. In 2006 we traded to our DP and have been able to have discussions since then (that may or may nor be good). I will not change coaches again, first because after 10 years with this coach I know every sound it makes and can recognize something that is not right very early. If I did trade I would stay with a DP because I like the comfort and quiet of a 40' coach. That does not mean a DP is better for everyone, it means it is better for us. I recognize that some of the manufacturers are building the gassers quieter and with a ride better, but feel that overall most of the DP's manufactured today are quieter and ride better, probably because they in the most part have a longer wheelbase, have the engine 40' behind the driver/passenger positions instead of right at your feet, have more wall, floor and ceiling insulation than the gassers and are generally priced higher. This does not make the DP better or the gasser less, it is simply a statement of what I believe to be the state of the universe today. All my evidence is empirical data, your method of gathering scientific data will help people better understand the choices. Thank you for getting this thread started.

Incidentally we will e doing our 5th cross country trip since 2005 this winter and will be in Quartzsite in mid January for a month. I would be happy to meet with you, drive the same road as you did in the above test with our DP so you can get scientific measurements for a sample of one 10 year old DP. Just PM me if you want to set it up.

Really ? You have to scream at each other ? We honestly have never had to do that.
& we have louder than stock exhaust with headers & free flo muffler

Old 05-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #73

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I have a w24 8.1 it is pretty darn quiet. Never come close to needing to talk louder to communicate.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-24-2016, 07:51 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
At about three minutes in I noticed you are in the passing lane and you are being passed by traffic in the inside lanes. Just saying.......maybe get out of the left lane.
kind off a miss conception... if you watch, there is a over pass I go under..
on the other side there is 2 merg lanes and a group of cars trying to merg...

being the nice guy I am, I moved over a lane to let every one out.. also if you notice that the black suv that I passed at the on ramp passes me, after that group of cars merges, you see me get over...then the next on ramp you see the chevy truck merging
Old 05-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #75

Quote:

what i'm say'n is if you say it's loud... people have to amagine...if you say its 60-70-80 db people can relate...

saying you have to scream at each other with out a comparison of the noise level... leaves a open field....

maybe it's time for you two to get that 2 for1 discount on hearing aids

lol jk'n with ya...thanks for adding to the thread

will you be going to havasu?
Old 05-24-2016, 07:59 PM   #76

Quote:
You did a good Job of giving us measurement of the noise levels in one gasser, but I have missed the measurements in a DP so a comparison can be made. I also agree manufacturers have made advances in sound deadening over the last few years, a side issue I see is that there are a lot of older coaches out there that are being considered for purchase.

There is a niche for both gasser and DP's, when considering a purchase, folks need to determine their priorities and your thread will help them research their purchase. Keep up the good work, I look forward to some DP data as well as other gasser information.
I test drove a dp today... ran like a mouse in slippers
Old 05-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #77
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I have a w24 8.1 it is pretty darn quiet. Never come close to needing to talk louder to communicate.

Same here with my W24 and towing 4500+ lbs.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:39 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrr View Post
same here with my w24 and towing 4500+ lbs.
could you speak up please...:d
Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #79

ok FOLKS,,,, HERE YOU GO...GOT THE FULL SCREAM'N UP THE HILL VIDEO WITH THE DB METER

Old 05-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
kind off a miss conception... if you watch, there is a over pass I go under..
on the other side there is 2 merg lanes and a group of cars trying to merg...

being the nice guy I am, I moved over a lane to let every one out.. also if you notice that the black suv that I passed at the on ramp passes me, after that group of cars merges, you see me get over...then the next on ramp you see the chevy truck merging
I don't run in the slow lane when there are frequent, busy on-ramps either. Invariably there is some A-hole who merges in front of you then slows down Very aggravating when climbing a grade.
To level the hill climbing speeds statement, please compare the actual weights of your DP and gas MH's and engine torque/HP stats.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
At about three minutes in I noticed you are in the passing lane and you are being passed by traffic in the inside lanes. Just saying.......maybe get out of the left lane.
WATCH THIS VIDEO AND YOU WILL GET A BETTER IDEA OF WHAT I'm SAY'N

Old 05-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I don't run in the slow lane when there are frequent, busy on-ramps either. Invariably there is some A-hole who merges in front of you then slows down Very aggravating when climbing a grade.
To level the hill climbing speeds statement, please compare the actual weights of your DP and gas MH's and engine torque/HP stats.
THAT WASN'T THE STATEMENT,,,,THE TASK at hand was ....I asked , "what would pull this trailer up the hills faster?"

I was told that to pull the trailer up the hill faster I needed adiesel ... so I bought the smallest I could find... with the biggest motor.. 34' journey 350 hp..went 20 mph slower

but..the v-10 pulling the trailer. up the hill or on flat ground.. out ran the 350hp diesel with out a trailer
Old 05-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #83
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Same here with my W24 and towing 4500+ lbs.
Yep... x3. Our W24 has the smooth as silk Allison 6 speed that always keeps the 8.1 in a very good point on the power band.

Plus we must have very good dog house insulation.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:50 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Yep... x3. Our W24 has the smooth as silk Allison 6 speed that always keeps the 8.1 in a very good point on the power band.

Plus we must have very good dog house insulation.

Safe travels
my next project, if I keep it long enough, is to figure out a way to quiet down the air intake on the ford... it reminds me of when we used to flip the air cleaner lids over to hear the secoundarys kick in

I've got an Idea to try... if it works... it'll be great...if not...just a dumb idea

Tags
rvs, gas, noise