Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 02:50 AM   #85

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
what i'm say'n is if you say it's loud... people have to amagine...if you say its 60-70-80 db people can relate...

saying you have to scream at each other with out a comparison of the noise level... leaves a open field....

maybe it's time for you two to get that 2 for1 discount on hearing aids

lol jk'n with ya...thanks for adding to the thread

will you be going to havasu?

Unfortunately you are 11 years too late with the sound measurements, I had added insulation to the dog house, but going across the Rockies was so bad we thought about buying a motorcycle intercom, but instead we fixed the problem by purchasing a quiet coach.

Yes, we will be in Havasu for Winter Blast

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 06:43 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Unfortunately you are 11 years too late with the sound measurements, I had added insulation to the dog house, but going across the Rockies was so bad we thought about buying a motorcycle intercom, but instead we fixed the problem by purchasing a quiet coach.

Yes, we will be in Havasu for Winter Blast
where do you stay...??
I have an idea about the noise... I for one think the ford noise is excessive and I think it comes from the air in take ... I own a muffler shop and cars come in that you can't hear them run...
I 'm gonna take a shot at re designing the air in take

I think I have some good base metered measurements to see if and when I can make a major improvement... and no doubt .. most think they need it..

we'll see

Old 05-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #87

well. some more trival info.....

I went and insulated the dog house, and I put phat mat on the intake and runners,,,I extended the intake snorkel..it's now ram air

here's the new numbers..6th gear @ 55 mph =67 db...

6th gear @ 65 mph =72 db...

pulling grade..in 4th @ 65= 71 db...

also... I wondered how much of the noise was actually from the motor

so I got going 65 mph,, put it in neutral and shut off the motor

going with the wind...63 db.... going against the wind.... 67 db...

Old 05-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #88

Pulling a 6-7% grade at 4000+ rpm with the fan clutch engaged, wife and I converse in a normal tone of voice. No shouting needed.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBRVing View Post
Pulling a 6-7% grade at 4000+ rpm with the fan clutch engaged, wife and I converse in a normal tone of voice. No shouting needed.
X2...I don't know where some of these people think you have to scream at each other ,let alone even speak in a higher tone to communicate when driving in a Gas MH. They either drove really old ones, or brands that didn't engineer the MH to the Chassis correctly. Since reading these threads I've even paid more attention and the engine noise is not noticeable on level roads/freeways, and only gets a little louder on the grades, but certainly not enough to make it so you can't have a normal conversation. Engine noise shouldn't even be a consideration on which MH to buy gas or diesel, even if it bothers you on the grades, that is so seldom in compared to the bulk of your travel.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
X2...I don't know where some of these people think you have to scream at each other ,let alone even speak in a higher tone to communicate when driving in a Gas MH. They either drove really old ones, or brands that didn't engineer the MH to the Chassis correctly. Since reading these threads I've even paid more attention and the engine noise is not noticeable on level roads/freeways, and only gets a little louder on the grades, but certainly not enough to make it so you can't have a normal conversation. Engine noise shouldn't even be a consideration on which MH to buy gas or diesel, even if it bothers you on the grades, that is so seldom in compared to the bulk of your travel.
i keep reading all that here so it promted my to do an actuall test...

my motor home is 3 db louder when the engine is on
Old 05-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
We drove a 2015 (is that new enough for ya?) Winnebago Brave and it was horrendously loud.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #92

1996 Bounder , Ford 460 with headers . Carry normal conversation .
Old 05-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
We drove a 2015 (is that new enough for ya?) Winnebago Brave and it was horrendously loud.
Maybe it depends on your definition of "loud".
Compared to a Caddy, then yes, it is loud. Compared to the 2012 Civic I commute 150 mi a day in, about the same overall.
I didn't buy a gas coach based on engine noise. I bought a gas coach because I can perform all the required services on it.
We also owned a 30ft 1978 Pace Arrow with a Dodge 440 4bbl (our first RV). It wasn't loud either. Normal conversation voice.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #94

Quote:
New enough....just the wrong brand/model...I don't really care what you drove unless you drive a higher end Winnebago, or higher end brand model you will not get the nice quiet engine noise. The higher end MH's manufacturers have found a way to deaden the noise, looking at the reproduction of the first MH Winnebago made is comparing apples to oranges when comparing drive and ride. Buy what you want but don't exaggerate, it doesn't do anybody trying to decide what to buy when the facts aren't accurate. (Is that good enough for ya?)
Old 05-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBRVing View Post
Maybe it depends on your definition of "loud".
Compared to a Caddy, then yes, it is loud. Compared to the 2012 Civic I commute 150 mi a day in, about the same overall.
I didn't buy a gas coach based on engine noise. I bought a gas coach because I can perform all the required services on it.
We also owned a 30ft 1978 Pace Arrow with a Dodge 440 4bbl (our first RV). It wasn't loud either. Normal conversation voice.
Must be some feel a need to justify the extra expense, but like you engine noise wasn't a factor with us, but being able to do all my own maintenance and repairs was priceless.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #96

Quote:
so horrendously loud is 67 db???

well. some more trival info.....

I went and insulated the dog house, and I put phat mat on the intake and runners,,,I extended the intake snorkel..it's now ram air

here's the new numbers..6th gear @ 55 mph =67 db...

6th gear @ 65 mph =72 db...

pulling grade..in 4th @ 65= 71 db...

also... I wondered how much of the noise was actually from the motor

so I got going 65 mph,, put it in neutral and shut off the motor

going with the wind...63 db.... going against the wind.... 67 db...
Old 05-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #97

I still say it is easy for every one to understand the measurement if the proper insterment is used...

personal discriptions are meaningless..

67 db can be compared....

Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart
Here are some interesting numbers, collected from a variety of sources, that help one to understand the volume levels of various sources and how they can affect our hearing.

Environmental Noise

Weakest sound heard 0dB
Whisper Quiet Library at 6' 30dB
Normal conversation at 3' 60-65dB
Telephone dial tone 80dB
City Traffic (inside car) 85dB
Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic 90dB
Jackhammer at 50' 95dB
Subway train at 200' 95dB
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB
Hand Drill 98dB
Power mower at 3' 107dB
Snowmobile, Motorcycle 100dB
Power saw at 3' 110dB
Sandblasting, Loud Rock Concert 115dB
Pain begins 125dB
Pneumatic riveter at 4' 125dB
Even short term exposure can cause permanent damage - Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection 140dB
Jet engine at 100' 140dB
12 Gauge Shotgun Blast 165dB
Death of hearing tissue 180dB
Loudest sound possible 194dB

OSHA Daily Permissible Noise Level Exposure
Hours per day Sound level
8 90dB
6 92dB
4 95dB
3 97dB
2 100dB
1.5 102dB