Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #15

just so everyone knows, I'm not crazy.... i'm not say'n the gas is quieter....

i'm say'n this is what it measures...

you can hear in this video how quiet the journey is..

I just say'n I measured it..

LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Lol!

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths which some people will go through to justify their opinion.

I've driven gas and diesel coaches. I have no doubt that on level ground they would be very similar, because all you're hearing is the wind noise.

On steep grades, there is absolutely no comparison. You can't hear yourself think a gas coach with the engine roaring away at 4000+ RPM just 12 inches from your feet. On the same grade you don't hear the engine at all in a diesel.

Case closed.
case re opened,... I totally agree with you.... I just was wanting a measurement... not, it screaming... way louder, way quitter.... I wanted to know how much
Old 05-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #17

We have a 36 ft ford 460 powered Bounder with headers & Flo tech muffler . Is it louder than a DP? Yes , of course . Can we carry on a normal conversation ? Yes , unless we're climbing a hill .
But we aren't spending most of our time climbing hills . It's not much of an issue for us .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
It sounds like the OP has an axe to grind. Every RV is different. Some have better sound insulation at the doghouse than others.

I can say from my own personal experience that you could not have a normal conversation with my Winnebago Adventurer on a Workhorse chassis. It wasn't too bad a lot of the time but on hot days when those twin cooling fans kicked in it was uncomfortably loud. Could we have improved that situation, probably so but other factors became more important than the noise factor. We decided to go FT and decided we wanted bigger and have more CCC and axle capability that what we had with the workhorse. In short, there is no comparison when it comes to noise in MY experience between OUR gasser and OUR DP.

So, for the OP I am very happy that their coach meets their needs and provides enjoyment. This isn't a belly bumping contest of trying to say mine is better than yours. OTOH, I am very happy with our choice and our experience is the opposite of the OP's.

YMMV!
no ax to grind here ... just measured with a meter..

every thing is measured to help people understand what they are getting....

so you go the store and say,... gimmie some milk,,,, they say do you want more than bob got or less that timmy

I for one like to go by facts ,.. not popular opinions...

if I get a DP next week I will post the same test results....

I'm looking for a under 34'r biggest diesel power I can find,..has to have a gas fridge

my self, personally.... I'd much rather have a diesel motor they tow better IMHO..
Old 05-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
I have a 2015 holiday scrambler vacationers with a v10, peak torque is at 3250 rpm. We pulled a Honda accord wagon on a dolly all through the mid west and never exceeded 3700 rpm, noise level was never such that we could not carry on a normal conversation, even on the steepest grade, with the engine generating peak torque at 3250 it's just a waste of fuel to rev any higher.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
I have a 2015 holiday scrambler vacationers with a v10, peak torque is at 3250 rpm. We pulled a Honda accord wagon on a dolly all through the mid west and never exceeded 3700 rpm, noise level was never such that we could not carry on a normal conversation, even on the steepest grade, with the engine generating peak torque at 3250 it's just a waste of fuel to rev any higher.
problem I have with that is the rear gears...I like to travel at 62 mph...my coach likes it better at 70 mph..

at 62 it shifts it self to death....

I'm gonna install the 5 star tune tomorrow... and probley the 4:88 gears some time this week

i'm with you on the rpms.... the only reason I go over 3500 is to pull to the next gear..

my coach right now goes 65 at 3200 rpms...in 4th gear..
Old 05-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #21

like I said , just wanted to measure it with a meter...

some people just plain ol can't hear....maybe it's time for that new hearing aid..
Old 05-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
like I said , just wanted to measure it with a meter...

some people just plain ol can't hear....maybe it's time for that new hearing aid..

There is another thread on noise levels and a plan to chart them. Perhaps you can join forces?
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/diese...ta-285116.html

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
The OP opened this thread with the title "The truth and facts about the noise level of gas RV's vs DP's..." So far I see data from 1 gas model and NOTHING from a DP. It does not seem the OP understands that gathering data from a sample of 1 does NOT constitute "truth and facts" but rather in this case a sample of 1 gas RV, and again in this case without comparison to a DP. This does not represent "truth or facts", it represents 1 set of data points, at one set of parameters (under 2,000 RPM, in order to get to the truth and facts a LOT more data needs to be gather from both gas RV's and DP's. Maybe someone that understands scientific methods could assist the OP? IMHO the title should be changed to "The measured noise level in one gas RV, under one set of circumstances". That way no one would mistakenly think there is a lot of data behind the "truths and facts". I will agree that this posting shows that this gas RV is quieter than a pneumatic riveter measured at 4', but then that may not constitute "truth" but rather "facts" as measured in a sample of 1. I know of one gas RV (32' 2002 Southwind, Ford v-10) that might not be quieter but I never measured the sound level, I just drove it from Boston to San Francisco and going over the Rockies my wife and I had to shout at each other to be heard.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #24

If the difference in noise level is important to you & if you feel you need the additional power. If you honestly feel the differance in ride quality, than by all means buy a DP.
For us those things haven't been enough of an issue to justify the additional purchase price not to mention repair costs . Everyone has they're own priorities.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Everyone must make a decision based upon their circumstances, based on the perceived "facts" they just need to understand the data so they can make an informed decision.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
problem I have with that is the rear gears...I like to travel at 62 mph...my coach likes it better at 70 mph..

at 62 it shifts it self to death....

I'm gonna install the 5 star tune tomorrow... and probley the 4:88 gears some time this week

i'm with you on the rpms.... the only reason I go over 3500 is to pull to the next gear..

my coach right now goes 65 at 3200 rpms...in 4th gear..
I have a 242" wheelbase 22,000 pound chassis with 5:38 gears and a 5 speed torque shift tranny, at 63 mph I'm running 2100 rpm on the level, climbing an 8 percent grade with car in tow 42mph at 3200 in third with the torque converter locked up.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This whole diesel vs gas is getting old.

I like cake.....yummmmmm
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #28

Agreed . It seems like so many people think that of something is perfect for them , it must be right for everyone else .
I have a friend who thinks it's pointless for anyone to own a truck with less than an 8 ft bed . If you don't get an 8 ft bed , you've made s mistake .

Tags
rvs, gas, noise