Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2016, 02:21 AM   #113

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Skipilot, all MH's are not built the same, hence why they do reviews such as the one you quoted. One persons opinion about one MH tested is hardly an honest review of how all F-53 Chassis would perform in all Class A MH's. You get what you pay for and some manufacturers do a much better job at engineering the MH to the chassis, add handling components, different wheelbase, chassis size, weight distribution, and sound deadening materials. I wouldn't base any decision off of reviews I've read in any magazine. The best critic would be the purchaser of the MH, and they should drive several brands of Gas MH's and they would be pleasantly surprised.
Very well said.
While aiding a friend research new class A gas rigs to purchase. I found what Im sure all of you nice folks here already know.....there's only one power plant available, no mater what size/weight rig your looking at. There can be 10k#'s difference in GVWR, but HP and torque are the same. At the low end your looking @ 50 lbs per HP, and the high end 81 lbs per HP. Not what Id call a satisfying selection. So if you want performance go small.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 05:49 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Very well said.
While aiding a friend research new class A gas rigs to purchase. I found what Im sure all of you nice folks here already know.....there's only one power plant available, no mater what size/weight rig your looking at. There can be 10k#'s difference in GVWR, but HP and torque are the same. At the low end your looking @ 50 lbs per HP, and the high end 81 lbs per HP. Not what Id call a satisfying selection. So if you want performance go small.
so what has more power per lb??? gas or diesel??
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:16 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
it's a simple question and simple answer... diesel..

6.8 diesel...660 ft lbs(the lower rated )

6.8 gas ...362 ft lbs ( the higest rated)
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #116

Couple things about taking sound level measurements.

First the position of the microphone should be as close the the listening position as possible. Having it down by the steering coulmn candy give a much different reading then near where your ears are.

Another important issue is the scale used. These are labeled A, B, C, D. The A scale is closest to the human ear so it's the best to use for these tests.

Many sound level meters allow you to unplug the microphone and add an extension cable so you can remotely place the microphone. This makes it easier to take readings and still see the meter.

Just some thoughts to consider.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #117

Quote:
it's a simple question and simple answer... diesel..

6.8 diesel...660 ft lbs(the lower rated )

6.8 gas ...362 ft lbs ( the higest rated)
6.8 gas...362 hp/457 ft lbs
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #118

Winnebago Owners Club
I've had both gas and diesel motorhomes, and that little sound level meter doesn't mean a thing when it comes to the actual experience of day-long drives over differing terrain. There just is really no comparison.

And although I only read 5 or 6 of the 9 pages, I don't remember seeing the OP telling everyone that a 3db decrease in level is actually cutting the volume IN HALF, while a 3 db increase, is DOUBLING the volume. Increase the noise by 3 db again, and what you're hearing is now twice as loud as it just was.

So the meter can fool people into thinking that, 'awww, is not much louder than that other coach... it's only 3 db higher'.

I know the readings in the photos were both of the gas coach, but that's not the point. The point is, a reading of 73 db is twice as load as a reading of 70. A sound level of 76 db, is 4 times louder than 70; etc. That's what you're hearing, and that's what matters.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabb E View Post
6.8 gas...362 hp/457 ft lbs
X2. That's what our gasser has.
The new 2017 V-10 has 460 ft-lbs of torque according to the Ford website.
I can have a normal voice convo with wifey, pulling a 6-7% grade at 4000+ rpms, with the fan clutch engaged.
I don't know where folks get the notion that gas RV's are overly loud. Our 1978 Pace Arrow Dodge 440 4bbl was fine also, normal voice.
Granted, they are louder than a DP, but I like to hear my engine. Makes it easier to detect a potential problem.
Just my 2c.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #120

Quote:
Depends on your definition of Power.
Diesel=more torque.
Gas=more horsepower.
The above are generalizations. I know there are 45' DPs with 500HP out there.........
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #121

I suppect how loud a coach will be much more dependent on how well the manufacture sound insulated the engine compartment. Some manufactures will be very quite and others very noisy however even a noisy one can be quieted down with additional insulation.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBRVing View Post
Depends on your definition of Power.
Diesel=more torque.
Gas=more horsepower.
The above are generalizations. I know there are 45' DPs with 500HP out there.........
Power is measured in horsepower PERIOD. A gas engine can have, for example, half the torque of a diesel and still produce the same horsepower as the diesel. The problem is that the gas engine has to turn at twice the RPMs as the diesel to make the same power. This is obvious when going up a steep hill in with a V10. Not good for noise, durability, or fuel mileage.

Power = Torque X RPM X constant
Old 05-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #123

Actually torque is measured ,
Horsepower is calculated .
TxR divided by 5252= horsepower
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
Power is measured in horsepower PERIOD. A gas engine can have, for example, half the torque of a diesel and still produce the same horsepower as the diesel. The problem is that the gas engine has to turn at twice the RPMs as the diesel to make the same power. This is obvious when going up a steep hill in with a V10. Not good for noise, durability, or fuel mileage.

Power = Torque X RPM X constant

This is correct, as is Stepside. If you look at the hp and torque curves of a Diesel engine, it's apparent why they are so good at seemingly moving weight effortlessly.

My diesel (Cummins ISM) reaches its max torque at 1200 rpm. It's torque is essentially flat up to 1600 rpm when it starts dropping off. At this rpm the engine is within 25 hp of its max which occurs at 1800 rpm. At 1800 rpm, the torque is still within 100 ft lbs of the max which occurred at 1200 rpm. This means, at 1425 rpm at 62 mph, I have 425 hp available and essentially max torque of 1550. This means full hp & torque are on tap at practically all highway speeds. Makes driving seem effortless.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #125

Monaco Owners Club
Torque= Force
Work= Force X Distance
Power= Work/Time

Back to the measurement of the sound level, the device used needs to be calibrated regularly. It's biggest drawback is the frequencies it samples. Good ears hear from about 20 Hz to 20000 Hz. We older folks probably have lost some high frequency, I know I have. The device, even if calibrated properly, measures ~30 to 8000 Hz. It measures less than half of the normally audible spectrum.

http://www.extech.com/instruments/re...7732_UM-en.pdf
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Torque= Force
Work= Force X Distance
Power= Work/Time

Back to the measurement of the sound level, the device used needs to be calibrated regularly. It's biggest drawback is the frequencies it samples. Good ears hear from about 20 Hz to 20000 Hz. We older folks probably have lost some high frequency, I know I have. The device, even if calibrated properly, measures ~30 to 8000 Hz. It measures less than half of the normally audible spectrum.

http://www.extech.com/instruments/re...7732_UM-en.pdf
Technically, Torque is not a force, but the result of a force acting perpendicularly at a given distance. Hence the units are in pound-feet. For example, 10 pounds acting at a distance of 1 foot would produce 10 pound-feet of torque.

Tags
rvs, gas, noise