Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
The valve stem extenders

Any pros or cons and brand of valve stem extenders for rear inside wheels

scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
Any pros or cons and brand of valve stem extenders for rear inside wheels
I just went to NAPA and bought a set. I like the extenders because they make it easier to check the tire pressure and air the inside dual from the outside.

There were several lengths available so I purchased the length I thougt would work well for me. They are OK but I will buy longer ones next time.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my last motor home a set of the airless braided metal covered extensions cost me two tires. My current motor home came with a set of air versus airless extensions that worked okay for seven years as far as I had no air loss due their use. They were still difficult to use - I needed one more hand when adding air - and were hard to secure properly with the Pressure Pro sensors installed. I had to use cable ties and wiring loom to keep the extenders from rubbing on the metal wire clips that held the extenders in place where they came through the wheel cover. When I had new tires installed I bought a set of DuallyValves from Borg Tire Supply and had them installed at the same time. Very easy to add air and the sensors don't bounce at all. Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis
Old 06-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #4

Just get a 14" long air chuck. And a truckers tire pressure gauge that has a straight end.

JohnnyB
Old 06-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
So for my 6 inch braided extenders have cost me two inside tires. I think as they go down the road and vibrate it causes them to loosen up and then have air loss. Thinking about having 6 inch brass valve stems installed in the Rims.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post
Just get a 14" long air chuck. And a truckers tire pressure gauge that has a straight end.

JohnnyB

And how do you put the valve caps on ?
Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
And how do you put the valve caps on ?
With a tool like THIS. Others are available, but this one is inexpensive and it works fine for me. There is a valve core remover on one end, and a cap remover on the other. The cap remover is a stiff rubber sleeve that slips over the cap to enable you to unscrew and re-install the valve cap. As has been suggested, get a trucker's dual foot air gauge and a dual foot chuck for your compressor.

The advantage to extensions is they obviously make it easy to check the air. The big disadvantage is they can leak. It's usually a slow leak that you don't detect until it's too late.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had the braided extenders on my rear inners for two years now with no problems, no leakage. I have the outer end properly secured near the inner hub, so there's no wobbling or flailing around. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1391.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	65731  
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The flexible extensions MUST be fastened securely, similar to JFXG's photo. If done properly, there should never be an issue. Some coaches and trucks come with factory installed flex extensions. But solid extensions can work well too, if the openings in the tire permit their use. There are straight and angled types available.

Another solution is to simply have the valve reversed on the tire. The only draw back to that is it would have to be changed again if you wanted to rotate that tire to a different position. Since there is rarely a need to rotate RV tires, this is pretty much a non-consideration.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #10

Tires are important

Recommend leaving your valve stems stock. The above posts outline how to do this for little money with the proper tools. There are many threads on how to make a tire inflation rig yourself.

Or go to ValvePal.com and they are already built for you.

JohnnyB
Old 06-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have/had the same problem as Scooterbob. Lots of info and suggestions from folks that have other rigs with larger tires or different wheel covers but there is a specific issue with the Fleetwood's (maybe others too) with 19.5 inch wheels and the Chinese wheel covers they put on them. And NO, you cannot use a truckers style chuck with straight/angled head on the stock stems. Fleetwood actually made a cutout in the front wheel cover so you can get to the front stems without removing the wheel covers.

I had the braided stem extenders for about 5 years attached just like those in JFXGs photo. When put new tires on 18 months ago, the braid was frayed and cut down to the rubber inner liner on all 4 of them. I put solid extensions on the valve stems in 2 configurations.. a long extender for the inner tire and a almost 180degree on the outer. I'm still not pleased and continue to look for another solution. I did look earlier at the DUALLYVALVE website mentioned above, and will revisit that.

And lots of folks will tell you "go to a tire shop that does trucks only". Well been there and done that.. they scratched their heads and said they had never seen wheel covers like that...sorry.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I guess if you would install TMPS sensors on the flexible extensions it might cause viberation and they could work loose.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed the hose extenders on ours.
Pro: Now I can put air in the inside tires.
Con: I think I got a stick or something between the tires on one side cuz inside tire started loosing air after about a month and discovered that the hose had been part way out of the crimp connector on the valve stem side. Had to remove that hose and put on a short 30 degree bend metal extender. Now have to remove wheel cover to check inside tire on that side. Will be having longer metal stems put on cuz now I'm Leary of the hoses.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #14

This is a cheap fix. The braided extensions get damaged from the sharp edges of the rim. Just insert a rubber grommet over the sharp edges of the rim. It's not that noticeable, but does the trick.