Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #1

These mirrors S....options?

These mirrors are on my 2000 Country Coach. They are about useless when towing something. There isn't a brand name on the mirror, but I am guessing that there is an extension that I could install or change out the mirrors for something totally new and chrome. I looked at the Velvac website and the price of mirrors is on the high side of expensive.

Has anyone bought some aftermarket mirrors that helped with better visibility?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4160.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	132014  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Our coach has Velvac mirrors, but they look very similar to those. What kind of problems are you having?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Our coach has Velvac mirrors, but they look very similar to those. What kind of problems are you having?
The extensions are short which makes it harder to see when navigating in a small area with trees etc. I think if the mirror was out further from the coach my visibility would be better?
Old 07-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Are you towing something wider than the MH? I set my mirrors to where I can just barely see the side of the MH, giving me the widest view, then the wide-angle mirror on the bottom gives me complete coverage of anything coming up beside me.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
f you can see down the side of the rig, the extensions are ok.
Nothing wrong with using the mirror control switch to adjust the mirror when parking.

I leave my selector set to PS mirror, and Afton tilt it down when backing next to a curb.

Dan
Old 07-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
These mirrors S....options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
The extensions are short which makes it harder to see when navigating in a small area with trees etc. I think if the mirror was out further from the coach my visibility would be better?

1). Unless your trailer is very long and/or very wide it will track inside the coach wheels. This means you don't need to see it. If the coach rear clears the turn, the trailer/toad will clear also.

BTW, do you not have a rear view camera?

2) The length of your coach is such that you would need about a 3 ft extension to appreciably enhance your view of the trailer which, as I said, is unnecessary. If you extend your mirrors outward that much the greatest effect will be to make the coach wider and illegal.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
1). Unless your trailer is very long and/or very wide it will track inside the coach wheels. This means you don't need to see it. If the coach rear clears the turn, the trailer/toad will clear also.

BTW, do you not have a rear view camera?

2) The length of your coach is such that you would need about a 3 ft extension to appreciably enhance your view of the trailer which, as I said, is unnecessary. If you extend your mirrors outward that much the greatest effect will be to make the coach wider and illegal.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103

Good answer John!

Old 07-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #8

My trailer is 24' and it does seem to track with the motorhome. I can see down the side fairly well but I have trouble seeing the top of the coach when navigating through tree branches etc. I will keep moving my mirrors as someone suggested. I just thought that the longer extensions would help with more of an overview of the whole package.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
My trailer is 24' and it does seem to track with the motorhome. I can see down the side fairly well but I have trouble seeing the top of the coach when navigating through tree branches etc. I will keep moving my mirrors as someone suggested. I just thought that the longer extensions would help with more of an overview of the whole package.

I don't think any mirrors are gonna help you with that! You just need a spotter!

Old 07-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I don't think any mirrors are gonna help you with that! You just need a spotter!
Haha, I had her out there watching on our last trip. She was not smiling as she disappeared into the dust from my side radiator.

Thats my next project, make a shroud for the fan.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:27 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
The only thing longer arms will get you is a better chance on getting them ripped off.

As far as your dust cloud, you have a problem with your fan controller.

Another cause for the dust cloud is if you have your climate control set to AC or to vent. Either of these settings will cause the fan to run in high mode causing the "dust cloud"
Old 07-04-2016, 10:43 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Side view cameras, had them on my Bounder turn on the turn signal and I could see every thing. I just ordered a new system for the CC because I liked them so much.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
The only thing longer arms will get you is a better chance on getting them ripped off.

As far as your dust cloud, you have a problem with your fan controller.

Another cause for the dust cloud is if you have your climate control set to AC or to vent. Either of these settings will cause the fan to run in high mode causing the "dust cloud"
Thanks Don, I will be looking into the fan this week, we don't use the dash air so I figure it has to be the fan controller, I was also reading about a shroud that people have built since the fan blades extend beyond the original housing.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:53 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
John....A lot of coaches came with that smaller mirror, but many had a secondary mirror on top. When I had my Class C, I added convex mirrors to the top. They were chrome and I made some nice brackets to make them look factory.

You might look for a nice convex mirror that is mounted in a casing and attach it to the top of your current mirrors.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote