Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Thetford Smart Drain

I have arthritis in my hands and my husband is 90 y.o. and doesn't have the strength in his hands that he used to. Neither of us can tighten the bayonet type sewer hoses. I was excited to get the Thetford Smart Drain. It seemed like such a good idea! However, today was the first time we used it and we could not stop it from leaking at both ends. We reattached the hose several times using the Sure Lock tabs and it still leaked. Fortunately we were at a dump site that had a concrete apron around the hole so we could rinse the mess down. I had put a absorbent "potty" pad under the connection from the coach so we were able to contain the mess there. I am so disappointed! I really need this to work. Does anyone have this system and could offer some suggestion. I did read some reviews and comments were made to be certain you got the hose seated squarely--I really thought I had done that. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!! Donna

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 10:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNVGolden View Post
I have arthritis in my hands and my husband is 90 y.o. and doesn't have the strength in his hands that he used to. Neither of us can tighten the bayonet type sewer hoses. I was excited to get the Thetford Smart Drain. It seemed like such a good idea! However, today was the first time we used it and we could not stop it from leaking at both ends. We reattached the hose several times using the Sure Lock tabs and it still leaked. Fortunately we were at a dump site that had a concrete apron around the hole so we could rinse the mess down. I had put a absorbent "potty" pad under the connection from the coach so we were able to contain the mess there. I am so disappointed! I really need this to work. Does anyone have this system and could offer some suggestion. I did read some reviews and comments were made to be certain you got the hose seated squarely--I really thought I had done that. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!! Donna
I am so sorry that they have not fixed this ongoing problem. I purchased one and it leaked at the coach end almost immediately. When I took the fitting off to see what was wrong, the gasket was out of place and not sealing correctly. I fiddled with it to try to get it to stay in place but it finally got sucked down the hose and into never never land. The company sent me a complete new kit saying that the adapter had been improved. NOT! Same thing happened. They sent me another complete kit.() Exactly the same problem with it. I managed to silicone the soft gasket in place and it lasted for a few months. But, then, the other day I had a leak at the coach fitting... again. I removed the adapter and the gasket was pulled partially into the goesouter!

I was at a Ace Hardware getting some electrical stuff. I noticed a $1.49 package with a couple of electrical cover gaskets. I bought it.

With bad hands this may be a problem to do. Get some help. Push the black gasket holder out of the grey adapter ring. Place the gasket ring end on the new gasket, trace and cut as accurately as you can. I did this with both gaskets in the package. I used water proof wood glue on the gasket and glued it int the (cleaned) ring grove. I glued the second gasket to the first one. I carefully place a box of Kleenex on the gaskets and left it over night. Then I cut the excess gasket away on the inside of the fitting. I pressed the assembly back together (with a pair of good helper hands) and put it on the coach drain. Pulled up tight and does not leak. Will know more in a couple of months of use.

Now, the dog ear fittings... These work very well but... You MUST get the fitting to stay aligned when closing the ears. If it is not latched properly it will leak. With practice I can get it to go on correctly with a try or two. Look very closely at the fittings alignment when you connect them. They must look perfect in alignment all around. If one person pushes the hosed together and the other closed the dogs it might work easier.

I hope this helps. Please let us here know if you have success with doing the above.

Happy trails,

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:01 AM   #3

Do you still have the old bayonet sewer hose?

There is a 'wrench' that makes tightening them up easier

JR Products 04154 Kwikturn Drain Hose Wrench Camper Trailer RV
Old 03-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Thank you Rick & Old Biscuit for your replies. My husband is pretty clever at fixing things and I'll give him your message Rick. And yes, we do still have all of the bayonet fittings and hoses. I put them in a big box and they reside in our "toad." We tried the wrench but I think the one we had didn't fit the system we had so that didn't work. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted! Donna
Old 03-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Thetford Smart Drain

I just talked with Thetford Customer Service. They have had multiple complaints about the Smart Drain system leaking and have developed a new system called the "Titan." It uses bayonet fittings but there is a extended "sleeve" that will be easy to grasp with 2 hands if needed to tighten. They are sending me the new system to replace the Smart Drain system that I just purchased a couple of months ago. Fingers crossed that I can tighten this without difficulty--it looks like it should be easier. Thanks to all--I'll keep you posted. Donna
Old 03-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNVGolden View Post
I just talked with Thetford Customer Service. They have had multiple complaints about the Smart Drain system leaking and have developed a new system called the "Titan." It uses bayonet fittings but there is a extended "sleeve" that will be easy to grasp with 2 hands if needed to tighten. They are sending me the new system to replace the Smart Drain system that I just purchased a couple of months ago. Fingers crossed that I can tighten this without difficulty--it looks like it should be easier. Thanks to all--I'll keep you posted. Donna
Just for chuckles I should contact them to see if they are willing to replace my hose that I purchased around a year ago and that I have fought leaking issues at the bayonet from day one.

I don't have the other hoses any more. Getting the bayonet fitting on was never an issue with me on any of the hose systems. Keeping the Thetford one from leaking has been a consistent battle. I am hoping this last try will be my last needed try to correct the leaking. The dog ears were a good idea. If they had been a bit longer they might have worked better. I noticed that the new system has a ridge on the inside of the fitting to help keep the gasket from dislodging and the gasket material looks more sturdy.

Titan users, keep us posted.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford