Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
They say you make your own good luck...

I may have just made myself some good luck, by rolling my butt out of bed early on a Saturday morning, (I'm still working) and being in the right place at the right time.

I was in the market for new tires, even though my old ones still looked fine except for some minimal sidewall cracking, the date code said April 2010, and since these were the original tires on my 2011 rig, I figured they probably didn't sit unused too long after they were born. Too much riding on 9 year old tires just because they look good.

The last new tires I bought for a previous coach were Toyo M154, and they were the best tires in terms of ride that I ever had. Can't say how long they would have lasted, I traded the coach about a year later. While I've also had good luck with Continentals, I prefer the Toyos. Won't consider Michelein, due to bad experiences with the brand when they were on rigs when I bought them.

None of the local shops carry Toyos in my locality. I did find these, and called my local Walmart super center, and they told me they could install them for me.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toyo-M154...28-N/653892673

So, Saturday morning rolls around, and I'm there, Johnny on the spot at 7am. Of course this was the "listed" opening time for the auto service department. As the young lady explained, they have to punch in, and mosey back to their area of the store, after about a 15 minute wait. No problem. Except that this "manager" was watching some kind of online show on her phone, and wasn't willing to turn it off, or even put the phone down while we spoke. I give her my printed email with the bar code, and she sends me to the service desk, in the front of the store. They scanned my sheet, and said the tires are back in automotive, and I explained that this is where I cam from, so the lady walks back with me to automotive, where she finds my tires.

Ok, back to the "manager" who's online show must have ended. She tells me that oh, we can't install these, that motor home is too big. Meanwhile, I had noticed one of the mechanics behind her, and he had Semper fi tattooed on the under side of his forearm. So I took a shot.

I rolled my tires out to my RV, and the mechanic told me that he could change the tires, but he could not lift the RV. I said how about if I lift the RV, and bring the tires to you? He said that'll work. The "manager" had no idea what was going on, and by the time she found out, it was too late to stop it.

So, now for the good luck part. I had ordered Dyna Beads for each tire, and these dually valve stems.

DL3FCFR Chrome Duallyvalve Kit w/Front Stems

I really had no idea how in the world I was going to explain to the person putting on my tires what these items were, and how to install them. Also, I didn't exactly want just anyone doing it without being able to make sure they did right, or at all. The ex Marine hands me a pair of safety glasses, and says you have to wear these, in case my manager comes back here. He hands me a bottle of cold water, and says bring me a tire.

The script couldn't have gone better if I had written it myself. I lifted the RV up in the parking lot, pulled off the tires, and we both figured out how to install the beads, and the stems. He dropped a couple of beads on one tire only, and actually picked them up and put them in. I think he took mercy on me, and actually helped me reinstall the tires. He actually asked me if I would look up the spec to torque the wheels, and torqued them all too spec.

After it was all done, I waved him around behind the RV so his manager couldn't see, and slipped him a $20. He didn't want to take it, but I asked him to please take it. I said can you imagine where I would be had you not stepped up?

The bill ended up only being $45 if you can believe that, because I did buy the tires from Walmart online. I told the manager that she had a good worker, and when my wife needs tires on her car, I know where I can send her.

I've drove it just a bit, and it has never rode so well. Just thought there might be some folks here you would enjoy hearing the rather unusual story, and some good luck for a change.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #2

It's nice to read of good things happening in this day and age! There are still good people out there! Thanks for posting. Oooorah!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #3

Great to hear nice stories like that. Good on the worker who helped you.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I use a Good Old Boy mechanic for a lot of my vehicle work. He's helped me out a jam in several cases. My Class C transmission started to leak, first a little and then a lot. I called him and asked if he could tackle it. A bit hesitant at first but then said "Bring it on" 2 days later it was fixed, he had to replace a seal and bushing, charged me ~$200>>> I gave him more (which I usually do). This is just one of many times he's helped me out.

Pays to have friends in the Right Places!
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:10 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I use a Good Old Boy mechanic for a lot of my vehicle work. He's helped me out a jam in several cases. My Class C transmission started to leak, first a little and then a lot. I called him and asked if he could tackle it. A bit hesitant at first but then said "Bring it on" 2 days later it was fixed, he had to replace a seal and bushing, charged me ~$200>>> I gave him more (which I usually do). This is just one of many times he's helped me out.

Pays to have friends in the Right Places!
There's nothing better than a Good Old Boy mechanic, especially an ex Marine. Those guys never quit, and you can trust the work they do.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #6

Marines. Best friends I ever had. And I am USAF. (-:
SteveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:24 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMc View Post
Marines. Best friends I ever had. And I am USAF. (-:
I used to work in a capacity for a company where I provided service on the medical imaging equipment for the military hospitals and clinics that were customers of that company. Pretty much a contractor.

I will say, without exception, the military people I worked with, of all branches, were some of the finest people I've ever worked with, anytime, anywhere. And I've been working in my field of servicing medical imaging equipment for nearly 40 years.

They show up, they pay attention, and they do what they are asked to do. They are dedicated, quick learners, and they do honest work. I could always trust that when they told me something was done, that it was done correctly, or if there was an issue, they would report it, as opposed to trying to cover it up.

They are the finest among us. So when I saw the Semper fi tattoo, it was a no brainer on my part. I try to show my appreciation to our military every chance I get. We owe them that, and so much more.