Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #239

Use the holes in steps for lock pin, or make holes to allow a pin to be placed such that the steps will not retract when someone misses the light switch and turns the steps back on and has them retract, then turns them off with the lights...

Makes for nasty first step in the dark when one knows the steps are there...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #240

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
They never include the big box store brands. That dissolve even sooner,

Put some TP in a mayonnaise jar with water, shake a few seconds if it shreds it is OK to use.

Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #241

Never let a stranger guide you into a space. Especially at night!!!!!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER...
Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #242

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Never let a stranger guide you into a space. Especially at night!!!!!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER...
That just doesn't sound good.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #243
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do not leave your muddy shoes sitting on the steps. Husbands have been known to start the engine, causing those steps to retract.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:39 AM   #244
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Don't Ignore Previous Advice!

Ok, so today was PDI day. The day went fairly well until my 2006 turned into an 04. Long story, when we signed initial deal Super! Friendly sales guy keeps calling it an 06. Damn, trusting ol me and not noticing it on the paperwork, I believe him. When I find out at the sales office while we are still waiting for it to show up at the Local RV Clearance show with it. I'm am absolutely beating myself up about it. Particularly after spending months researching MH's and the last two weeks studying the hell out of the Freightliner and Cat to end up with a Workhorse and Cummins. Guess I can now talk about both rigs once I stop being a newbie. Anyway, lesson learned and the wife is probably thinking of a way to publicly humiliate me about it, that will be fun. In the end the dealer made it right. After their input and further reflection I new I was still getting a good deal backed by a solid national company.

Next lesson starts when I get ready to drive my new baby home. The wife walks away to get in her car and leave. I am standing in the coach and realize the door is still open. I hop down to close it, my foot slips and I end up sliding out of the coach ending up with one foot on the ground and the other still in the stairwell. No, I am not a gymnast and I still hurt. After getting home with it safely, the wife is cleaning out the rig and getting it ready to roll. I have to keep getting tools out of the front left basement compartment for her in the dark wearing my baseball hat (normal) bill forward. After 30 plus years working around aircraft and other trucks you think I would know better. Well, I now have a dime size red angry mark on my forehead.

.........and this is just the first day of getting it. I still have to depart on a 3 night shakedown tomorrow morning with my "D" Wife and her step mother.

Oh boy, this is gonna be fun.........
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #245

Take a tape reorder that only you know about.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #246

Monaco Owners Club
Don't forget the lower half of the ladder, even after your walk around. It looks like it belongs there for the ride.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #247

I got one for ya. But I did not do it. DON'T let the black tank sit 5 months full in the summer time. Bought a use class A that had this happen. RV dealer is 2 miles from my house and could smell it for 2 days. Thanks the smell was not inside the coach.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #248

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's another one ...

When you're rolling into an unfamiliar campground after hours, and after dark, it's a GREAT idea to either walk or drive your toad from the checkin "house" to your campsite.

On our first "real" trip with the motorhome, we pulled into a campground in update NY after hours, in the dark with the office closed. I got a first hand lesson on backing up the motorhome, with the car trailer attached, in the dark - on our first trip away ....

The First “Real” Trip Away | Our RV Journey

We pulled in after hours – at about 9:40, and the office was closed. Heck, if I hadn’t missed Magellan telling me to get off the exit, we would not have gone 2 exits too far and would have checked in before the office staff left .

That would have been a great help, since we had never been here before, the campground was really dark and it was difficult to tell where the roads were, versus campsites. We looked at the map to see where our spot was and headed off in what I thought was the right direction … all I can say is DOH! because I missed the turn for the road that heads to our spot and ended up driving right down a dead end street in the campground. DOH!

Now to figure out where we are, if we can back up without detaching the car trailer and where our campsite really is. So I took the long walk back to the check-in cabin, reviewed the site map and walked from there to our campsite. At least I knew where we were *supposed* to be.

Now to head back to the RV, where we were idling in the street and gathering a small crowd wondering why we were in their street, and how we were going to get out. There was no turn around there, so we had to back it up about the distance of 12 campsites and were lucky enough to find a level spot where I could back in the trailer to turn us around.

We got some help from some of the campers in that area, helping to guide us and moving a couple of picnic tables … that was great – and we were on our way to our campsite.

A few minutes later we were in our spot, leveled up, plugged in and ready to have some dinner. Brody and Maya got to get out and sniff around the campsite and we got ourselves all settled in for the night.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #249

Fleetwood Owners Club
This one is not mine, but my buddies, His lady put his laptop in a nice little spot that just seemed so right for it and all was good while they was traveling, they get to destination and he starts setting up, puts done the levelers then out comes the slides.... as he is putting out his DS main slide he hears a crushing sound. He stops the slide looks but doesn't seen anything so back to putting it out same sound again, pulls the slide back in only to find his new laptop broken. lLsson learned, them just right looking spots when the slides are in are BAD.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #250
KAS

Cool glad we have no slides

This just makes me all the happier that the Rexhall we are working on has NO slides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesinRockies View Post
This one is not mine, but my buddies, His lady put his laptop in a nice little spot that just seemed so right for it and all was good while they was traveling, they get to destination and he starts setting up, puts done the levelers then out comes the slides.... as he is putting out his DS main slide he hears a crushing sound. He stops the slide looks but doesn't seen anything so back to putting it out same sound again, pulls the slide back in only to find his new laptop broken. lLsson learned, them just right looking spots when the slides are in are BAD.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #251

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesinRockies View Post
BTDT! My wife stashed her laptop (in the carry bag) behind the driver's seat. I was standing outside chatting with a new neighbor between setup chores when I heard/saw the slide start to come out. Suddenly I hear this strange grinding noise so I began banging on the side of the coach. I went inside to find that the slide was crushing the case, the trim was ripped off the slide frame, and the slide overload was tripped.

I wish I could say "Lesson learned," but I kind of doubt it ...
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 AM   #252

Same thing, but with a cabinet door.

2013 Newmar Ventana 3634
gmpartsvet is offline   Reply With Quote