Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #323

Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Don't forget to close your garage door when leaving for a weekend trip.
Oh gosh yea! Have even driving around the block several times just because just around the corner to DW "Did we lower the garage?"

2005 Itasca Meridian 34H w/350 Cat
plus 450 W solar power
2009 Jeep Wrangler
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #324
Always use an actual funnel when replacing transmission fluid (had a seal break over the weekend) in your Class A engine.

Poured some from the bottle and it spilled from the makeshift funnel onto the hot engine, sending up quite a lot of smoke...put the cover back on the engine so I wouldn't smoke/smell up the interior.

DW drives up from a grocery trip to see smoke pouring out of the cabin and the engine compartment....had some explaining to do and reassurance our future home was NOT indeed on fire.

In hindsight, it could have been one heck of a practical joke...

US Army Capt. // 2009 Gulf Stream
Pro Patria // Strike Hold //
Lo Que Sea, Donde Sea, Cuando Sea
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #325
This did not happen to me, but could. I was driving into Bandera, TX and saw a 42' DP straddeling a concrete drainage ditch. He had driven in to this parking lot using this ditch, not the parking lot driveway. The rear end huug up on the lip of the ditch and his rear wheels were hanging in the open ditch. It drew a crowd. What can I say?
USAF Ret. Sony Corp. Ret.
1999 Bounder 34J, Ford V10
Boerne, TX
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #326
Newmar Owners Club
Don't ever forget your sense of humor, ever!
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #327
I drove all the way from Tacoma to Kalaloch (150 miles) with my toads front wheels almost aligned straight forward. Yup, the key lock was just off one click. Well, it was almost time to buy new tires anyway. The tread was all gone from the left front tire. I could now see how they made the inside of the tire real well. Now I watch the front tires when I make the first turn to see that they are also turning. BTW, the toad does not tow easy with the tranny in park either.
dwaynedmonnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #328
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
A lesson learned is money spent!
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #329
American Coach Owners Club
This thread has made me laugh all day, so now time to pay it forward and share my story.
When you arrive at the dump station and get out to find you should really be closer, it might not be a good idea to stretch the stinky slinky to its limit! It could pop off the valve when your dumping a full black tank. I've heard of this happening.

2011 American Coach 42P Tradition
Pressure Pro
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Green D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #330
Things Not To Do. Non-Reader's Digest Version

Things Not to Do. Don't always trust your buddy. As I was pulling off the road to my normal camp spot, I failed to see the narrow end of the loading ramp for a high $, double staker. Per then owner, they had the ramp for sand rails raised to the top level and open, "so the kids could have an upper level viewing spot". They had a cone out, but it was partially under the ramp. You guessed it; I barely felt it, but it put a zipper slit down the side of my 5er, breaking the door glass, a side window, bending 1 awning support bar, cracking the sink top and cracking the wallboard inside my 5er. When I looked in my side view mirror, I could see some kids moving the cone out to where they should have been.

I found out from buddy #2 that said buddy #1 had thought about calling and warning me. But didn't. I suspect he didn't because... what fun would that be? Besides that, he wasn't even there when it happened. I don't remember the repair costs, but I only had to pay the deduct. Glad I had insurance. I got a partial credit for having the shop owner use a strip of seam cover to hide the crack.

Another thing to add to: "The many uses of duct tape". I used cardboard and duct tape to salvage the weekend and prevent excessive amounts of air from entering my toy hauler. Sure ruined the view out the door window. I had to actually go out to the camp fire to enjoy it. On the plus side, it did keep my beer cold longer.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #331
I was leaving to go camping for the weekend, and was towing my landscape trailer behing the coach with two atv's on it. As I started to leave the driveway I could hear this squeaking noise that sounded like it was coming from under the dash in the area of the front drivers tire. I stopped and did an inspection of the tire area. Nothing obvious so I pulled ahead several more times and each time the noise was heard again. Only having had the coach a few weeks I thought ,"great now theres something wrong with my new toy already". After a couple more searches I realized my back up camera was on, and the sound was the trailer and atv's , coming from the speaker on the dash. My coach has a rear microphone, which is real handy when you are getting guided back into a parking spot, but can make you feel real stupid when you waste half an hour laying on your back looking for loose steering components.Slapped forehead and went camping.
2000 winne 37g
winniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #332
Donít forget your plan.

Donít forget your plan. The plan was to remove the smoke detectors and carbon dioxide detectors I recently replaced and cover the LP detector. Then fumigate the MH with a bug bomb. Well I forgot to remove the detectors and set the foggers off, only to hear them on my way back to the car. Had to take a deep breath and go back in.
I really did not want to spray or fog the coach, but we had some odd looking bug, like a stink bug that kept showing back up. I would throw them out and they would show up the next week.
charliej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #333
Fleetwood Owners Club
I saw before and after photos of an outside access panel to the refer. The sun had yellowed the panel. He cleaned it with a product from Dollar Store. The cleaning restored it to the original silver white color.

My panel was yellowed. I bought the product and went to work. After an hour of scrubbing, no results. My wife walked by and asked "Sweetie what are you doing" I replied "Trying to get this yellow off." She replied "The plastic is Yellow. You can't change the color unless you paint it."
Tile Man
Tileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #334

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't store a jumbo sized assortment bag of zip wire ties in a plastic shoe box and expect the rubber bands to hold the individual bundles together indefinitely. As I'm beginning to organize things stored in the garage for full time storage in the motorhome, I'm grouping things by category, storage bay location and getting the right sized container for each grouping. Opened the box and found the rubber bands had all broken. Of course the shoe box would not hold my Fluke 77, fuses, end connectors, crimper, pencil soldering gun and other electrical stuff. The zips are all baggie tight now. Now to find the right container. Next up - water works. BTW - the container groupings will all be weighed prior to storage. If something seems too heavy or out of place - weed it out now our relocate some things before putting it in it's place and weighing the corners. Adjustments will likely be required once everything is in it's place but should cut down on the amount of juggling. Here's to theory. Cheers.
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #335
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Had several travel trailers so I was comfortable with Slinky operations. The MH came with a Sanicon system but the hoses were not with it. The dealer sent me the hoses and I hooked it up. After a good weekend and needing to dump the tanks, I was looking forward to trying the Sanicon. I stretched out the output hose and was able to thread on the endpiece into the site dump pipe. Since this was the first time I did not know if the macerator blades were intact so I opened the Grey tank valve first just in case there were leaks, problems, etc. The switched fired up the motor but the clear 45degree adapter showed that the contents were not moving. Great, now what? The 28" (3") intake hose is now full and I have to remove it to switch back to the old slinky method. I disconnected the endpiece from the site's pipe and noticed that I had forgot to remove the cap from the endpiece.
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ
Playtime IV
Holiday FL
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #336
That is a good one.

RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote