Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #351

Tiffin Owners Club
I was sitting in a Holiday Inn with my two brothers when a State Trooper came in and told us one of our tractor trailers was wedged under an overpass. It had a large rubber tired front end loader on it. Lesson learned, or so we thought. A few months later the same thing happened, the same driver but this time he was coming from the other direction. The loader was in the street on its side. Luckily neither incident damaged the overpass enough to shut the roads down. Just lots of confusion and embarrassment. These incidents have left a real impression on me. I always check twice, three or maybe more.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #352
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsong3 View Post
I was sitting in a Holiday Inn with my two brothers when a State Trooper came in and told us one of our tractor trailers was wedged under an overpass. It had a large rubber tired front end loader on it. Lesson learned, or so we thought. A few months later the same thing happened, the same driver but this time he was coming from the other direction. The loader was in the street on its side. Luckily neither incident damaged the overpass enough to shut the roads down. Just lots of confusion and embarrassment. These incidents have left a real impression on me. I always check twice, three or maybe more.
That guy's a slow learner!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #353

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

That guy's a slow learner!
Come to think of it, our new Driver Trainer, was for many years a truck driver had an incident with a truck mounted crane he had not folded away between deliveries (10yrs ago). Those railway bridges are built seriously strong.
Needless to say "stow crane" before releasing park brake is part of our procedure.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #354
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Setting up camp last night. I got these pretty red led lights to mark bottom of curb slide so no one hits head. While untangling string I popped up cracked my head on slide. Just a little blood.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
Setting up camp last night. I got these pretty red led lights to mark bottom of curb slide so no one hits head. While untangling string I popped up cracked my head on slide. Just a little blood.
Funny that I read this (not funny you hit your head).....One of my friends was telling me a story about him hitting his head on one of the slides. Told me to watch out and might want to think about getting some PVC pipe insolators (foam ones).
Our first trip to campground and setting up our new MH. Well......I heard what he was saying but I guess I didn't listen. While connecting the black hose, I smacked my head against the slide...guess who won? Blood and a 1in cut top of my head. It almost laid me out.
I guess I had to learn the hard way. Heading to Lowes when I get back and getting some foam pipe warmers
TJPro351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #356

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPro351 View Post
Funny that I read this (not funny you hit your head).....One of my friends was telling me a story about him hitting his head on one of the slides. Told me to watch out and might want to think about getting some PVC pipe insolators (foam ones).
Our first trip to campground and setting up our new MH. Well......I heard what he was saying but I guess I didn't listen. While connecting the black hose, I smacked my head against the slide...guess who won? Blood and a 1in cut top of my head. It almost laid me out.
I guess I had to learn the hard way. Heading to Lowes when I get back and getting some foam pipe warmers
A more "cushy" option is to use swimming pool noodles. They look just like the pipe insulators, but are thicker and more dense - more padding for the 'noggin!
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #357

Never move your coach without your standard walk-around. You may have forgot to bring in the slide, even when only moving the coach a few feet into the barn.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
A more "cushy" option is to use swimming pool noodles. They look just like the pipe insulators, but are thicker and more dense - more padding for the 'noggin!

Even better idea...thanks!
TJPro351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #359

Country Coach Owners Club
1. some MH will drive with slides open
2. don't store your breifcase behind drivers seat with ipad in it and pulling slide in
3. Look down to make sure step it indeed out
4. don't stand too close to slides after a rain and retracting them
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #360
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Decide to get in a little extra sleep this morning. DW, being the dear that she is decides to pack up everything to save me some time. First thing she packs is the coffee pot. First thing I wanted when I did get up was the coffee pot. DW also wanting to be a big help goes ahead and loads up the basement. Just like she puts my tools away. Nothing where I put it and not where I intended to put it and without a lick of common sense all of it shoved into the right side compartments. Left side basements are now empty and she wonders why I am a little "tizzy" (her word), my term would be much more complex, artistic and in keeping with my nautical upbringing. It would also require a precautionary rating of TV-MA, AL, NSFM.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:14 AM   #361

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #362
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jeff, that is revers psychology. She now knows you will never ask her to help load up.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #363

Don't forget to close both black and grey valves after emptying. If you forget, you have to be really, really fast hooking up the stinky slinky next time.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #364
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Jeff, that is revers psychology. She now knows you will never ask her to help load up.
It works!

Early in our marriage, I once washed my red sweat pants with my wife's white lingerie.

Haven't done a load of laundry in 18 years!