Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #421

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Things Not To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
That is the key before departing. Once around and look under then step back and look up top.

Absolutely agree! Saved me from possible grief a number of times! Even after reviewing my checklist...
And after I pull out of the site, I stop, get out of our MH and quickly survey the area for anything untoward such as potential drive train fluid leaks and belongings left behind.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #422

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
After reading all of these posts (but of course, never doing any of these things myself!) I wondered about setting up a little electronic panel with either sensors or switches, for things like the TV aerial, power cord, under the bus, etc. I chose these items at random, as I would never have problems with them (cough), but it could be linked to the ignition, so it was a final reminder that required me to flip the switches to say I had checked them. Anyone else thought of this, already done it? I was thinking of something like the jack warning light when they are not fully retracted.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:36 AM   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGracie View Post
After reading all of these posts (but of course, never doing any of these things myself!) I wondered about setting up a little electronic panel with either sensors or switches, for things like the TV aerial, power cord, under the bus, etc. I chose these items at random, as I would never have problems with them (cough), but it could be linked to the ignition, so it was a final reminder that required me to flip the switches to say I had checked them. Anyone else thought of this, already done it? I was thinking of something like the jack warning light when they are not fully retracted.

Most mid to high end motorhomes already have such a system.. Mine does. However, I still get out and walk around.

Randy W

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #424

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a peg board kinda like a cribbage board that I move pegs from the on/off/down/up/out/in side when done and they all have to be on the right side before leaving. The list changes over time and with experience. The one thing that never changes is human nature to cut corners with "I'll remember to do that. . ." Even if you forget to move the peg you will at least have read the list of common things that to be checked. But as has been said, nothing beats a could walk around too.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #425

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Got to love checklists. I did not use it this weekend when pulling out of the campsite so that I could move to an area to put the toad on the dolly. All hooked up and sat down behind the wheel and then I thought about this thread. Out came the checklists on my phone and almost skipped over "release the park brake on the toad". Wonder how far I would have gotten?
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #426

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
Got to love checklists. I did not use it this weekend when pulling out of the campsite so that I could move to an area to put the toad on the dolly. All hooked up and sat down behind the wheel and then I thought about this thread. Out came the checklists on my phone and almost skipped over "release the park brake on the toad". Wonder how far I would have gotten?
Upon leaving the house for AZ this past March I started out of our driveway and looked in the mirror and saw the back wheels on the Jeep were skidding on the gravel. Forgot to put it in neutral!!!! No, didn't forget. I thought it about for a really long time until I needed to think about it?
Old 07-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #427

No check list needed for dummies! Brought coach to the house, had to open the curbside slide for access to the closet to store clothes. Street is not level and slopes to the curb so I put the jacks down before extending the slide. At this point all is well. Retracted slide and then lowered jacks. Finished loading and off we go. However.....with the jacks down the steps went over the curb. When the jacks were lowered step bottomed out of curb. When I pulled off I heard this horrible scraping sound.....yep! Only moved about 1 ft but it bent the steps to .... and back. Finally got them straightened enough to get them almost to the store position. I'm going to have to heat the cross braces to see if I can get them straight again and then it should retract. Lesson learned. Look out the window to make sure the steps are retracted before you pull off.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #428

Fleetwood Owners Club
I wondered how long it would take for me to be able to post on this thread. We have owned our new to us 2010 Discovery 40x all of ten days. Had it in the driveway over the weekend working all the systems and pouring over manuals etc. Discover my hydraulic tank was low, so I topped it off. Jacks Down. Went to move the coach to storage, raised jacks, Fluid now all over driveway! Nothing broke but my pride!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #429

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The positive

Always look at the positives - Now your driveway beeds water nicely and has a rainbow color.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:27 AM   #430

Fleetwood Owners Club
Backing up your rig if you are towing with tow dolly, not good
Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #431

Country Coach Owners Club
Neither is backing with a toad 4 down
Old 07-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #432

Winnebago Owners Club
When you go out to move the coach a few feet just exercise the system, be careful of dragging the corner of the front bumper through the snow you have pushed off the driveway. There could just be a landscape boulder lurking under the snow.

Fiberglass makes an ungodly loud cracking sound at temps near freezing.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #433

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
When you are towing a vehicle, don't try a u-turn in Easter traffic only to find you can't quite complete it, and can't reverse because of the toad, so you block three and a half lanes of a four lane road at dusk on Easter Thursday night. Some people can get impatient, especially if the camber and the angle make the toad difficult to uncouple.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #434

Winnebago Owners Club
Working on the 5er roof. Replaced the sheeting, EPDM, added insulation as possible, resealed all vents. Added LED lights while the roof was off.

Getting ready to move it out of the shop. Did final walk around and spotted laying on the trusses of the shop . . . . . . . the on air TV antenna. Apparently I was not quite done.