Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #435

Here's a new one for me. Added enough water to the tank to get down the road when starting a new trip. Wife asks if there is water, I say yes, she turns on the pump and uses the bathroom. I think nothing of it. At the end of the day I notice that the pump is still running! Turns out that I had forgotten to put the plug in the water heater before we left and I pumped a whole tank of water out through the water heater as we drove down the road.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:27 PM   #436

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello All,
I've been laughing at everyones stories, because I really did not have a story........YET. WELL, today was my turn. The wife did 3 loads of laundry and showers and The Gray tank was saying 2/3 full or fuller(is that a word). We are leaving tomorrow and I will dump later today, not a problem. Well, the water faucet in the master bath was left on by accident and I'm doing my mandatory 3pm nap and I hear a yell, I get up and see water on the floor all the way to the front on the Coach. The kitchen sink was overflowing, found the running faucet. Now the floors are shiny clean. Fortunately is was the Gray tank.
Les
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #437

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am a former airline Captain and have 40' Fleetwood Revolution. Before take-off, walk around and make sure nothing looks out of place. Look under,around and above. Not good to take off with a visible problem.
Kenny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #438

Things Not To Do

I do the walk around too, after every rest or fuel stop.
Jhkayakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #439

Winnebago Owners Club
Please don't overload the refrigerator door on your Norcold 'fridge. We did that and the darn, cheap plastic bottom hinge broke!!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #440

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
I am a former airline Captain and have 40' Fleetwood Revolution. Before take-off, walk around and make sure nothing looks out of place. Look under,around and above. Not good to take off with a visible problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhkayakr View Post
I do the walk around too, after every rest or fuel stop.

I agree completely! Don't forget to conduct the walk around not only as a routine step in your pre-trip inspection but also during every rest/fuel stop. Additional benefit, it gets the ol' blood circulating and the brain and body exercising!
Old 07-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #441

Don't put your wedding ring in your pocket whild unhooking at a camp site only to discover 500 miles later that it was no longer in your pocket. Three cheers to the campground host who searched the campsite with a flashlight and found the ring. 1000 miles later DW will not let me forget the experience.
rmd230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #442
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
When spending a few days waxing the MH while in storage, don't forget to move your brand new 8' fiberglass step ladder that you stored underneath before moving the MH. Don't ask me how I know this one!

Don't forget the tail swing when you pull out of a storage barn. Luckily it just clipped the bedroom slide topper and bent the bracket. Those steel I-beams are not forgiving.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #443

parking brake on toad + more

1) after hooking up the toad and running thru the drill of shifting thru the gears to neutral, then idling for 4 minutes while hooking up rest of tow gear and shutting engine off, be certain to release parking brake. First real tow of the toad and I had to get the parking brake repaired - only $250.00? Only 8 miles but P brake was fried.
2) similar situation don't shut off engine to get other keys of ring, start engine again, run the 4 minutes don't leave the trans in park - it doesn't tow well - fortunately I discovered it almost instantly and had no damage.
3) when arriving at home be certain that power is hooked up and remains connected so that the almost full LPG tank doesn't run dry!

All the above in a little over 6 months.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #444

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Standing on a breaker bar with the hitch turned horizontal to loosen a hitch ball nut. Result was a gash in my leg that got severely infected, now going into my 5th week with a vacuum pump on my leg.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #445

That is one of the reasons I quit wearing one oh, about 35 years a go.
Had to have it cut off when I was farming. Last time I wore one, except when we
Go out for th evening.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #446

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I returned from a week long trip on saturday night. Sunday morning I decided to rinse the black tank and try out the sank-flush. Hooked up the hose and let it run. I figured I would fill the tank all the way and then pull the valve. I passed the time putzing around inside the motorhome while the tank was filling. I kept checking the tank monitors to know when it was filled. What I didn't realize was the motorhome was leaning to one side quite a bit. I suddenly noticed some water running off the roof and instantly realized that it was way more water than an air conditioner could produce and ran out the door. when I looked up their was a geyser coming from the roof vent! The tank had filled and backed up the plumbing vent exiting the stack on the roof! Due to the coach being on an angle it didn't read full on the monitor. I ran around and let the valve rip then shut the water off! Talk about a scene from the movie RV! Just as I got things under control the DW came out and asked what I was doing. I told her I was rinsing the tank……….and washing the roof
Old 08-06-2014, 04:06 AM   #447

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I returned from a week long trip on saturday night. Sunday morning I decided to rinse the black tank and try out the sank-flush. Hooked up the hose and let it run. I figured I would fill the tank all the way and then pull the valve. I passed the time putzing around inside the motorhome while the tank was filling. I kept checking the tank monitors to know when it was filled. What I didn't realize was the motorhome was leaning to one side quite a bit. I suddenly noticed some water running off the roof and instantly realized that it was way more water than an air conditioner could produce and ran out the door. when I looked up their was a geyser coming from the roof vent! The tank had filled and backed up the plumbing vent exiting the stack on the roof! Due to the coach being on an angle it didn't read full on the monitor. I ran around and let the valve rip then shut the water off! Talk about a scene from the movie RV! Just as I got things under control the DW came out and asked what I was doing. I told her I was rinsing the tank……….and washing the roof
Nice recovery!!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:21 AM   #448

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballard770 View Post
3) when arriving at home be certain that power is hooked up and remains connected so that the almost full LPG tank doesn't run dry!
Did almost the same thing. Our MH has two gas heaters. When parking it for a few months, forgetting the bedroom heat is on will certainly empty the LP tank. I guess turning the LP switch to the "off" position would work too.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote