Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 06:35 AM   #449
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
This happened with a previous coach but while we're all "fessin up" to our many OOOPS! that happen, I may as well bare myself in the company of my my comrades.

This is an excerpt from one of my many stories:

I think Trouble follows me!

Took the RV out to wash it today because I'm going to put it up for sale and the first thing I notice is what I thought to be leaves flying around was actually one of my thicker pin stripes. Yup! Pealed her off like a banana skin. Good luck matching that mister "I want a Monaco product that’s no longer available".

Now, the "Biggy".

You'd think that for all the times I've washed my RV that I would remember not to spray up into the outside fridge access?
NOOOOOO. Not Me!

Didn't realize it was an issue till I plugged the RV in at home and didn't hear the fridge cut in. No lights. Looked outside at the electronic fridge control switch board. Little red light is on, tested and have 12v in but no 12v out. Power to the plug is good. Can't find a fuse, but given that I have 12v to the control switch, I don't think it's a fuse.

Wait.....I know what it is......it's money flying out of my back pocket!!!! Ya That’s it!!!

Oh....and of course....like any of the other crappy things that tend to happen, it's always on a weekend when no one is available and no RV shops are open.

Hey what's that swirling up in the sky??? Is that a Locust????

Na...couldn't be.

Stay tuned to the continuing saga of "I Wanna Own an RV"!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #450

Monaco Owners Club
Always remember to shut the gray and black water valves before you disconnect the sewer hose and put the cap on the outlet connection. If you don't, you set you self up for a real surprise the next time you remove the cap to dump. You'd be surprised how fast and how nasty the backwater tank contents are when it empties around your feet.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #451

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
Always remember to shut the gray and black water valves before you disconnect the sewer hose and put the cap on the outlet connection. If you don't, you set you self up for a real surprise the next time you remove the cap to dump. You'd be surprised how fast and how nasty the backwater tank contents are when it empties around your feet.

You wasn't at a Colorado rest area dump last weekend was you?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #452

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My son stepped out of the mh moments after my dw and I heard a loud bang. Asked him what the noise was and he replied what noise. Well I found out today what it was while I was cleaning up the rig today. I went to lift the bed and no strut! Apparently when my son couldn't figure out how to put the bed down he used a wwf wrestling move and body slammed it into the down position. In my day, that strut would have made a nice spanking instrument for my father to exact his revenge
Old 08-07-2014, 05:32 AM   #453

Never walk away from a black water tank with the valve closed and the agitator on. It will fill up and if it don't come out the roof vent it will brake the black water tank like mine on the top. Cost a lot to fix. And never drive off with steps down now the DW must look out her window to make sure they went up.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:35 AM   #454

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just because a ditch is only 6" deep doesn't mean you can drive through it. It will break door latches and bend trim in front of and behind rear wheels.
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #455

Winnebago Owners Club
My turn:
First time towing my Ford Escape with tow-dolly:
1) I pulled the car on the tow-dolly and made sure straps were nice and tight (I thought I did). Took a test drive around the parking lot when everyone heard a squeaking sound looked at my rear view camera, something didn’t look right, stopped to check out the sound and the source. Well, apparently I either didn’t have the strap tight enough or on right enough, left front wheel had rolled off the dolly and the only way to get it off was to call for a tow-truck. The result of all this, damaged to front bumper on Ford Escape, bent tow-dolly wheel fender and 2 hour delay leaving for vacation. The only thing we all agreed to was, “thank god it didn’t happen on the freeway”
2) After what happened at start of our trip, I was too nervous and cautious so to make sure it didn’t any other surprises I stopped every 100-150 miles to do walk around and check the straps. Until when we stopped for fuel (after about 400 miles). When I did my walk around, I noticed that the nut on the hitch ball is missing and the ball was partially out on an angle. I just about had a heart attack, just one more bump on the road tow-dolly would have been completely off the hitch and who knows what? I was afraid to move the MH one more foot. Very carefully took the car off the dolly, a trip to AutoZone, this time picked up another ball and boxed wrench. This time I made sure the nut is on nice and tight also checked it again when I did my walk around at each stop. This time made sure the bolt is on nice and tight after couple hours back on the road. Lucky again “thank god it didn’t happen on the freeway” Somebody was watching over us.
3) This is not all, we all made home safe, back home back in the storage lot, backed into the our spot with wife guiding me, put in neutral, got up stared walking out the door. I see my wife waving and screaming stop stop stop, when I nice crap I didn’t put in park. I wasn’t fast enough to jump back in the driver seat to pull the parking brake, ended up bumping the pop-up camper in front. Thank god minor damage to the font of our MH no damage to the pop-up.
4) By the way also found out during one of those stops and inspection I had left parking brake on the escape while towing which ended up costing us a few dollars, and of course the deductible on our car insurance for repair and body work on the Ford escape.
5) This was our first major trip, scary experience, thank god we all made home safe and “thank god it didn’t happened on the freeway”
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #456

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
This happened with a previous coach but while we're all "fessin up" to our many OOOPS! that happen, I may as well bare myself in the company of my my comrades.

This is an excerpt from one of my many stories:

I think Trouble follows me!

Took the RV out to wash it today because I'm going to put it up for sale and the first thing I notice is what I thought to be leaves flying around was actually one of my thicker pin stripes. Yup! Pealed her off like a banana skin. Good luck matching that mister "I want a Monaco product that’s no longer available".

Now, the "Biggy".

You'd think that for all the times I've washed my RV that I would remember not to spray up into the outside fridge access?
NOOOOOO. Not Me!

Didn't realize it was an issue till I plugged the RV in at home and didn't hear the fridge cut in. No lights. Looked outside at the electronic fridge control switch board. Little red light is on, tested and have 12v in but no 12v out. Power to the plug is good. Can't find a fuse, but given that I have 12v to the control switch, I don't think it's a fuse.

Wait.....I know what it is......it's money flying out of my back pocket!!!! Ya That’s it!!!

Oh....and of course....like any of the other crappy things that tend to happen, it's always on a weekend when no one is available and no RV shops are open.

Hey what's that swirling up in the sky??? Is that a Locust????

Na...couldn't be.

Stay tuned to the continuing saga of "I Wanna Own an RV"!
Les..
If you still have this issue.. Google Magnet reset on Norcold! Pretty easy fix.. Ask How I know..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #457

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have a brand new rock guard for my car. Hubby just completed all the hook up for the new Cadillac.

I wanted to drive the motorhome, hasn't been for awhile, and fill it up with diesel before we leave in the morning. I decided not to take the rock guard off as he had it tied up ok and its work for me to do it by myself.

Note to self, remember to pull the right side away from the tailpipe if you drive it or it will melt. No issue now as that section is gone. Sigh, it had never been used and now has a section gone.

Also yesterday I'm trying to lower the jacks and the alarm is beeping and the air doesn't exhaust. I'm thinking oh rats my control board must be going bad and good luck on finding one for a 1992. Note to self even with the brake on, the jacks won't deploy when its still in reverse.

There is so many things to check. I also have to remember about the steps, I didn't do anything to them but sure need to remember to check they are in.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #458

For fifth wheel owners;
When bent over and busily putting items in or taking items out of the outside storage compartments in the front under the fiver overhang ALWAYS exit to the side. NEVER turn around and walk into the king pin! It will not move and your head will bleed alot!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #459

This is my second post to this thread, I can go on and on. My first attempt at winterization, after having it done by service provider, I decided that I should be able to do it myself. Got the manual out and purchased the correct amount of antifreeze, could not get suction to syphon it into the coach system, of course we were headed into several nights of unseasonable cold. My imagination took over and I decided to put a light in the basement to protect against freezing, well not really a light actually 2 lights, one in the manifold area and one under the black and grey water tanks. This was a 60 watt drop light from my shop. Result manifold froze, and drop light under tanks melted a hole in the black water tank requiring a new tak and water manifold. Also discovered that water pump was inoperative.
tom076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #460

Yes, we have run into the antenna-eating trees and the steel poles that pop out of the ground when you're backing up. But no way am I going to tell the stupidest thing I've done motorhoming!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #461

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Yes, we have run into the antenna-eating trees and the steel poles that pop out of the ground when you're backing up. But no way am I going to tell the stupidest thing I've done motorhoming!

Oh come on! Let us be the judge on how bad it was!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #462
Obh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Checklists - check - check.
Am I the only one with an onboard computer with a built in checklist that allows me to add personal items to it. Adding them is a little like texting on an old cell phone but once you get them in there - viola - done. It pops up when I start the engine. I push the little button on the dash and it checks them off. It may be a Freightliner thing - I don't know - but I love it. If there is an aftermarket version I would recommend it. Annie in the passenger seat - I read down the list and check - check - check - off we go.
I have a Rand McNally RV GPS. It has pre installed checklists, or you can create your own. Works great. Plus you can carry it around with you and check things of when you do them.
Obh is offline   Reply With Quote