Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #463

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Things Not To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obh View Post
I have a Rand McNally RV GPS. It has pre installed checklists, or you can create your own. Works great. Plus you can carry it around with you and check things of when you do them.

As many of you are likely aware, there are also Apps available (but of course ) for smartphones and tablets providing quite functional editable pre-installed and create-your-own checklists, such as "RV Checklist" and "RV Ready". I have been using "RV Checklist" for the past few years on my iPhone and iPad, which appears to work similarly to the version on the RM RV GPS. I find the App very helpful and easy to use and to customize to my specific requirements and preferences. Data can be transferred between compatible devices, as well as your computer for editing, organizing, etc.
May help us avoid some of our "things not to do"!

BTW, be careful if you have to park your toad real close across the front of your MH. The roof rack on the toad might be higher than the extended arms on your rear view mirrors! Fortunately, I dodged a bullet this time...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #464
Obh

Doc Thanks. I'll check them out

Old 08-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #465

Fleetwood Owners Club
Things Not To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hugh View Post
As many of you are likely aware, there are also Apps available (but of course ) for smartphones and tablets providing quite functional editable pre-installed and create-your-own checklists, such as "RV Checklist" and "RV Ready". I have been using "RV Checklist" for the past few years on my iPhone and iPad, which appears to work similarly to the version on the RM RV GPS. I find the App very helpful and easy to use and to customize to my specific requirements and preferences. Data can be transferred between compatible devices, as well as your computer for editing, organizing, etc.
May help us avoid some of our "things not to do"!

BTW, be careful if you have to park your toad real close across the front of your MH. The roof rack on the toad might be higher than the extended arms on your rear view mirrors! Fortunately, I dodged a bullet this time...

Thanks Doc!

I chose RV Check list. Now just need the time to take her out.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:37 AM   #466

Monaco Owners Club
This happened in the early 70's. My mother thought of this when we got our m/h.
My mother & dad were invited to take a short trip with with my dads business partner in there new Pace Arrow , well they went on 3 day fishing trip on the river. On the way back my dads business partner said they needed to dump the tanks.They saw a gas station that had a dump station so they pulled in and were told to go over to side of building and they would see the hook up to dump.You have to remember this was a new m/h and my dads bushiness partner had only gone several times to camp grounds that had hook-ups,never been dry camping.
Well they hooked up the the valve and started dumping there black water tank when the owner came out and asked what the #*! they were doing.You guessed it they had hooked up to the valve were the gas goes. Back then they did not keep locks on the lid for the gas bulk tanks. The tanks had just been filled the day before and my dad and his business partner had just dumped 40 gal of black water is there gas bulk tank.
It was a very good thing the business partner owned a chain of grocery stores in Texas and had money. By the time the tanks had to be pumped ,cleaned and re filled it cost him around $11,000 .That is a lot of money even today, in the 70's that was a whole LOT of money.
Well you would think that would sour him on owing a m/h. it did not,matter of fact tell the day he died he always had a m/h(never dumped in a gas tank again)The business partner ended up with a Provost. Was just sold 3 years ago They remained partners for 40 years built one of the largest flea markets in the U.S.(Traders Village in Grand Prairie,Tx) even put in a" Good Sams park) They made sure the dump station was a long way from the gas.
They are both gone that was Tag Taggart & JC Pace some of you may stayed at that park,we will when we go visit my Mother in Tx in November.J C Pace was the business partner.I hope some of the family do not see this post? But think this is near the top of the list of things not to do.
tagcat
Old 08-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post

It was a very good thing the business partner owned a chain of grocery stores in Texas and had money. By the time the tanks had to be pumped ,cleaned and re filled it cost him around $11,000 .That is a lot of money even today, in the 70's that was a whole LOT of money.

tagcat

That's a pretty high "stupid tax"!
Old 08-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
Do not forget to put the Toad in to neutral prior to driving off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk52 View Post
Don't forget to release the parking brake on the toad before hitting the road. Bad for MH mpg and it really smells bad.
And especially, don't do these two things at the same time! The engine will fly apart and spread oil all over the hot brakes, and we all know what hot oil and hot metal can do. The flames may be pretty but it can for make for a really bad day. Then when you see people flagging you down, don't pull too close to the guard rail that you can't open the door, that's really not good! Someone told me that once... maybe it was the CP.

And... when you go back to the same campground and request the same site, and they say they are working on it because someone really messed up the gravel by dragging something through it... do not say anything other than "I'll wait."http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh.gif

That was a bad start to full timing with a new rig and a new CP, and her toad!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #469

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't close your electric awning without keeping the coach door closed or partially closed. On my Vista 27n an open coach door can catch the torsion arm of the umbrella and do considerable damage to it if not noticed right away so you can stop the process. I'll find out soon how many dollars are involved in fixing this mistake of mine. On the positive side, my coach door always had to be slammed a couple times before it closed tight, but after this mishap it must have been adjusted by the pressure on it from the torsion bar and it now closes better!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #470

IM brand new to the life. I'm laughing my butt off but I know mine is coming!!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
Got to love checklists. I did not use it this weekend when pulling out of the campsite so that I could move to an area to put the toad on the dolly. All hooked up and sat down behind the wheel and then I thought about this thread. Out came the checklists on my phone and almost skipped over "release the park brake on the toad". Wonder how far I would have gotten?
Oh, about 100 miles and $1500 bucks later.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #472

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sask66 View Post
Don't close your electric awning without keeping the coach door closed or partially closed. On my Vista 27n an open coach door can catch the torsion arm of the umbrella and do considerable damage to it if not noticed right away so you can stop the process. I'll find out soon how many dollars are involved in fixing this mistake of mine. On the positive side, my coach door always had to be slammed a couple times before it closed tight, but after this mishap it must have been adjusted by the pressure on it from the torsion bar and it now closes better!
Okay, I forgot about that one. Been there done it, luckily only bent the door edge a wee bit. No major damage to either. The really dumb thing is, I've done it twice.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #473

Ok here is one of mine.

If you have a drainage ditch on each side of your driveway and you know you must be going north to turn into driveway. Never ever try to turn in headed south. Front end no problem the rt rear wheels that another story. They have no traction when hanging in the ditch. Also when this happens the lf front wheel may also be off the ground. The wrecker driver gives you funny looks and comments like "let me think about how to get out or you got any ideas" . Coach net paid some but I still had to pay $300 on the recovery portion. The body manger. asked "you did what " That and another booboo involing that pesky pole at the fuel pump made sure the body shop had work and I had good insurance.
hturner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #474
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't back towards a cliff without a spotter. The back up camera won't show you that ground on 1 side is a soft gravel edge leading toward the drop-off.

If you DO make this blunder like I did, it's nice to have a tree that the towbar can straddle, keeping the MH from going over. Good Sam towing insurance sent a winch truck that pulled us back up and the driver acted as spotter so I safely got into position
Old 08-31-2014, 01:57 AM   #475
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never, never do this.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oops.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	72479  

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote