Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #491
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
We have arrived at Caplillano RV Park in Vancouver. At registering, the desk clerk warned us about a pack of ferocious cedar trees on the loose in the campground. She said "Avoid them at all costs"!

While backing into our site, I saw one of them running up to the rear bumper. I slammed on my brakes and thought I had avoided them knowing how vicious they are. They still managed to take a bite at the Fiberglas bumper.
Thankfully, the previous owner had a run in with a relative of the same species before. There was already a scar there and I guess I opened the wound a bit. I had already planned on going to the RV Doctor for diagnosis of the affected area. The surgery is operable so it will likely be a few days in the hospital with recovery. Not sure if Medi-care will cover this.
Attachment 72605
I hope you reported the wild cedar to the Department of Botany. One of their primary tasks is to trap and remove offending cedars and release them deep in the woods where they will do no more damage to RV's.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 11:25 PM   #492
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I hope you reported the wild cedar to the Department of Botany. One of their primary tasks is to trap and remove offending cedars and release them deep in the woods where they will do no more damage to RV's.
I thought of that but there were too many of them and they all looked the same.

I felt I couldn't pick them out in a line-up. LOL

Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #493

Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Rmiscoord View Post
Ok, this one did not cost any money but almost an heart attach. Taking the MH to a mechanic for some upgrades I arrived a little early so I had to park it across from the bays were several MH's already parked, backed in. So I skillfully approached and turned away, lining up perfectly to back in. Checking the mirrors and back camera, all was ok. I backed in between two other large MH's and all was going fine. As I was about 10 feet from the trees along the back according to the camera I applied the brakes slightly to come to a halt just right. But as I checked my right mirror I sensed I was moving way to fast so I mashed the brake, check the camera which seemed to show still about 5 feet but I could tell by looking to the right I was still moving. In a near panic now, I checked my foot was not on the gas and brake and really mashed the brake again. Now my mind was really in a panic mode as the camera still showed no imminent collision but my eyes were telling I was moving even faster. As I turned my head just a little bit more to the front I finally figured out the MH to my right was pulling out giving the allusion I was moving backwards. Life's lession, not all is what it seems!.
LOL! nice
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #494
Originally Posted by Rmiscoord View Post
As I turned my head just a little bit more to the front I finally figured out the MH to my right was pulling out giving the allusion I was moving backwards. Life's lession, not all is what it seems!.
I was dieing laughing at about this point in the story - same Dam&*^%#$! happened to me at a tight back in KOA a few years ago!
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A + Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes | RVM 091

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #495
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Don't ever forget to un hook a 30 AMP cord from shore power when leaving the camp site. Because about 3 miles down the road someone in a car will motion for you to stop and get that 25' cord following you.

Then about a year later don't forget to do that a 2nd time. Or a lady in the campground will be waving her arms at you.

Did half that... Do empty your mouth of all food and liquid then click on the link below:

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #496
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Did half that... Do empty your mouth of all food and liquid then click on the link below:

Where IS Mom??
Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #497
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #498
Newmar Owners Club

A few years ago I needed new house batteries while on the road, stopped at a Auto Zone (they did my car batteries) the man said he knew all about RV batteries. I asked him to take picture of the connections with his phone. I purchased 4, he installed 4 new 12v batteries. Had all kinds of problems with arcing. After a while i suggested he just put the old batteries back in. He gave it one more try and sais everything was fine. As I drove off my wife turned on a docking light WOW was it bright (for 4 seconds before it burned out). Bottom line, he had replaced 6volt with 12 volt making the voltage 24V. I pulled over disconnected the house batteries, found a Wallmart, spent the night found a mobile RV repair service who rewired the connections for a 12 v set up. NEVER take an RV to a car place!

Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
Oh, I am good at this Don't replace all your batteries without making a detailed chart of how they are connected...... before you take out the old batteries.
tmcmillanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #499
Newmar Owners Club
My fresh water would not work after the tank ran dry. After two weeks of living out of water bottles the RV repair guy came out and flipped the switch from coach to shore, boy did I feel stupid. Too make matters worse my buddy was there watching now everyone knows.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #500
Newmar Owners Club
I had that problem. First of all start the engine and let it run for a while 4-5 minutes, then raise the jacks. If you don't have enough air in the tank the jacks will not fully retract and this prevents the coach from raising. Since I started this I have not had a problem. The key here is to make sure the jacks are fully raised, if you need to, shut the coach off and start over again, the jack storage cycle takes awhile buy let it run completely through the cycle. 2007 Travel Supreme Envoy
Old 09-05-2014, 12:23 AM   #501
Winnebago Owners Club
Back in the early 70's we had built a camper out of a 48 pas school bus. When we built it, we lived on the prairie so length and overhang were not a problem. We moved to B.C. and decided to try some fishing at a small lake near Princeton. Now access to this small lake was over hill and dale in the mountains and up a narrow logging road, the switchbacks required back and forthing to get around. We finally climbed over a ridge and below us sat the lake with many campers (fish derby). We came down the hill and there was a good sized whoopdee at the bottom. The school bus had an extended front bumper upon which was mounted a spare 24" tire, the rear had a 3' extended bumper where we had installed twin 100lb propane tanks. Coming off the hill with speed we hit the whoopdee and bang- the front and rear bumpers hung up and the wheels were barely touching the ground. It was a source of humour for some-I spent 2 days gathering logs and jacking axles. Part B of this story was- I had not installed the toilet yet and so in consideration of two daughters a wife and partner's wife- I bought a portable stool type toilet apparatus that had a substantial baggy that snapped onto the rim of the seat. I didn't know 4 women could piddle that much in one long night- by morning they had filled the thing and there was a meniscus above the rim of the seat. I of course was nominated to empty it. We can chuckle now. Moral- finish toilets for women-always and B.-Don't take long wheelbase campers where everyone else has a truck and camper.
2002 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD, Avalanche toad, Glastron MX175 , X5 BMW, Almost enough toys, 3 dogs. 1 longtime wife(48 yrs)
POPPASMURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #502
Using your emergence break.

This story isn’t too funny, but it turned out ok. A couple of months ago I was in my 31’ pace cleaning, etc. My seven year old son was in the RV with me, he loves to listen to the radio and play in the RV. All of a sudden I hear him screaming “Help Me” I drop what I was doing and approach him, and he just keeps screaming “Help ME”. I ask him “what’s wrong?” And he won’t tell me, he just keeps yelling “Help Me”. Finely I make him sit on the couch, and ask over again “What’s Wrong?” He still won’t tell me, so I ask him to show me so I can fix it. He finely, reluctantly points to the steering wheel. I look and notice the shifter is in neutral. I look up and notice the RV has moved about eight feet, I put it back in park, and walk to the back of the RV, and look out the back window, and see that the RV has backed into my jeep! I pull the RV foward and go outside to inspect the damage, luckily there was none? I hate to think what if, my jeep hadn’t been there where my RV would have ended up! I now use the emergence break.
cmon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #503

I can relate. During our AK trip this summer we were 3 coaches traveling together. We pulled into a rest stop for a bathroom break. I was at the back of the pack behind the middle coach about 20' when the coach in front of me started to roll back. I laid on the air horn to no avail until he rolled into us leaving a hole in our front end from the bolt on his folded up tow bar.
He had jumped up to go to the bathroom and didn't have it all the way into park.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #504
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Back in the early '70s (when I was but a wee lad) our family of 6 (plus a dog and cat) traveled the country in a 36' Class C with a 16' TT behind. At 13 I was often charged with doing the fueling while dad did other checks around the coach. Of course, this was during the first gas crisis and the twin fuel tanks had a steady stream of new locking gas caps as I never seemed to grasp the "put the darn cap back on" part of a fill up. The ones that were the most fun were the two times I grabbed the wrong locking caps (from somebody fueling on the opposite side of the pump). Off we'd go with a perfectly good locking cap and no key to open it.

Somewhere in the mid-west (pretty sure it was in Iowa) our TT started weaving behind us with a shower of sparks lighting up the late afternoon. Dad got the rig to the shoulder and we found that the bumper mounted hitch had failed (no surprise in retrospect). The square bumper was on the ground, the trailer hitch was too low to use the hand crank, and with darkening skies and a family trapped on the side of the road, dad overcame his fear of the CB radio and called for help. About five minutes later a van full of burly road workers pulled up, first lifted the trailer off the hitch (who needs a jack) and then teamed up to bend the bumper up enough to get us enough clearance to travel the short distance to a welding shop. About two hours later, working into their time with their own families, we had a completely rebuilt hitch set up (well designed rather than an afterthought) and a mere $10 bill. I'll never forget that one.

That trip, which was almost six months long and put 18,000 miles on the odometer, changed our lives and our family. It also sold me on the RV lifestyle. And now, with our 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD soon to be home, we're looking forward to many more "Things Not To Do!"

Lyman & Deb; Chip & Charlie (Portugueses Water Dogs); Portland, Oregon
2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD
2015 Jeep Wrangler JK
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote