Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #519

back up camera

This is not my first post to this thread. Last winter squirrels of some other form of wildlife chewed through the cable between the back-up camera and the display in the coach. The problem was somewhere near the center of the coach. After searching for info on the camera I discovered several of you posters said that the replacement of the whole back-up system was simple, "did it myself in 2 or 3 hours," no biggy just crawl under the coach and pull the new cable". So I thought I can do this myself and save the $700.00 that the repair shop wanted. My thinking I'll just call CW and get a new cable and pull it myself, you know a couple of hours. I know I'm almost 70 yrs old but hey, how tough can it be, you know a couple of hours lying on my back in the shade under the coach. The cable came in and armed with a new cable some electrical tape under the coach I went. No first get out the extension ladder and shimmy up the back of the coach to disconnect the old cable, how to unhook the cable from the back of the camera? Well first you got to remove the camera from the bracket so I can figure out how to disconnect the cable, Ok 4 little screws appear to hold the cover where the cable goes into the camera, disassembled the camera while balancing on the extension letter 12 feet above mother earth. The camera was hardwired, no unplugging, down off the ladder into the house phoned the camera manufacturer nice man said no! do not take the back off of the camera there should be a connector about 3 feet from the camera, just pull it out and hook the new cable to it. Another scary trip up on mount everest and pulled the cable, first had to remove a pound of water proofing from around the cable where it went into a hole drilled into the motor home back cap. I found the connector, then reassembled the camera and remounted it back into the bracket. Now, back on my back and under the coach, where i found the end of the chewed cable, cut the wire ties loose from the coach, taped the end of the new cable to old cable, crawled out from under the MH, back up the ladder 1/2 way to heaven, grabe the end of the old cable and started pulling it through the hole drilled in the end cap. Not as easy as they said, but lo and behold I got it up there after a couple of trips down off Gabriel's ladder to get on my back and shimmy under the mh to feed the wire through the various tight spots that the original installer had routed it through. Oh and I quickly figured out that my belly will not pass under the rear axle, requiring me to wriggle out from under there and go around the rear tires to continue routing the cable from the back of the mh to the front. I am now about 5 hours into this 2 hour project. A fist full of zip ties and I slowly work my way towards the front of the coach. As I go I continue to cut the old zip ties and retie with new cable and zip ties about every 2 feet. As I approach the forward section of the coach I start thinking about how I will get up through the front engine compartment and immediately realize that I'll need to repeat the process of tying the new cable to the old cable and feed it through the same route as the old cable. Inside the coach to study the apparent challenge of gettin behind the dashboard to pull the old and new cables, I'll stop for the day, an 8 hour day I might mention. I want to meet that skinny little 12 year old jerk that told me it was a simple 2 or 3 hour job. Day 2, 8 am back at it, I'll simply remove the panel on the dash board and pull the monitor out unconnect the cable and attach the new cable! Oops the power cord to the monitor came loose and dropped into the abyss of the place behind the dashboard. Simple, just remove the lower panal of the dashboard, find the missing wire fish it out through the hole and plug it back into the monitor, and low and behold there is the old cable from the camera, grasp it securely and start pulling it through the engine compartment, It stops 2 1/2 feet short of the monitor. Back under the coach cut all the zip ties loose and reroute the cable for a shorter run. Retie all of the zip ties cut. Now it will reach, and we are another 4 hours into the project, Just an hour to reassemble the dashboard, turn on the monitor and I got zip, no picture just a white snowy screen. Maybe I screwed up the camera, out and up Jacobs ladder take the back off of the camera can't see any problems reassemble camera down off ladder get sillicone caulk seal around cable going into back of coach. I contacted camera system company and ordered new system, after waiting a week it comes in, looks simple enough, I should be able to stick the new camera up there in an hour or 2.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #520

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Things Not To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom076 View Post
This is not my first post to this thread. Last winter squirrels of some other form of wildlife chewed through the cable between the back-up camera and the display in the coach. The problem was somewhere near the center of the coach. After searching for info on the camera I discovered several of you posters said that the replacement of the whole back-up system was simple, "did it myself in 2 or 3 hours," no biggy just crawl under the coach and pull the new cable". So I thought I can do this myself and save the $700.00 that the repair shop wanted. My thinking I'll just call CW and get a new cable and pull it myself, you know a couple of hours. I know I'm almost 70 yrs old but hey, how tough can it be, you know a couple of hours lying on my back in the shade under the coach. The cable came in and armed with a new cable some electrical tape under the coach I went. No first get out the extension ladder and shimmy up the back of the coach to disconnect the old cable, how to unhook the cable from the back of the camera? Well first you got to remove the camera from the bracket so I can figure out how to disconnect the cable, Ok 4 little screws appear to hold the cover where the cable goes into the camera, disassembled the camera while balancing on the extension letter 12 feet above mother earth. The camera was hardwired, no unplugging, down off the ladder into the house phoned the camera manufacturer nice man said no! do not take the back off of the camera there should be a connector about 3 feet from the camera, just pull it out and hook the new cable to it. Another scary trip up on mount everest and pulled the cable, first had to remove a pound of water proofing from around the cable where it went into a hole drilled into the motor home back cap. I found the connector, then reassembled the camera and remounted it back into the bracket. Now, back on my back and under the coach, where i found the end of the chewed cable, cut the wire ties loose from the coach, taped the end of the new cable to old cable, crawled out from under the MH, back up the ladder 1/2 way to heaven, grabe the end of the old cable and started pulling it through the hole drilled in the end cap. Not as easy as they said, but lo and behold I got it up there after a couple of trips down off Gabriel's ladder to get on my back and shimmy under the mh to feed the wire through the various tight spots that the original installer had routed it through. Oh and I quickly figured out that my belly will not pass under the rear axle, requiring me to wriggle out from under there and go around the rear tires to continue routing the cable from the back of the mh to the front. I am now about 5 hours into this 2 hour project. A fist full of zip ties and I slowly work my way towards the front of the coach. As I go I continue to cut the old zip ties and retie with new cable and zip ties about every 2 feet. As I approach the forward section of the coach I start thinking about how I will get up through the front engine compartment and immediately realize that I'll need to repeat the process of tying the new cable to the old cable and feed it through the same route as the old cable. Inside the coach to study the apparent challenge of gettin behind the dashboard to pull the old and new cables, I'll stop for the day, an 8 hour day I might mention. I want to meet that skinny little 12 year old jerk that told me it was a simple 2 or 3 hour job. Day 2, 8 am back at it, I'll simply remove the panel on the dash board and pull the monitor out unconnect the cable and attach the new cable! Oops the power cord to the monitor came loose and dropped into the abyss of the place behind the dashboard. Simple, just remove the lower panal of the dashboard, find the missing wire fish it out through the hole and plug it back into the monitor, and low and behold there is the old cable from the camera, grasp it securely and start pulling it through the engine compartment, It stops 2 1/2 feet short of the monitor. Back under the coach cut all the zip ties loose and reroute the cable for a shorter run. Retie all of the zip ties cut. Now it will reach, and we are another 4 hours into the project, Just an hour to reassemble the dashboard, turn on the monitor and I got zip, no picture just a white snowy screen. Maybe I screwed up the camera, out and up Jacobs ladder take the back off of the camera can't see any problems reassemble camera down off ladder get sillicone caulk seal around cable going into back of coach. I contacted camera system company and ordered new system, after waiting a week it comes in, looks simple enough, I should be able to stick the new camera up there in an hour or 2.

Tom, this story is familiar and hilarious and my experience as well! It seems every time I am told "It's a simple job. All you gotta do is ....... and you'll be done in about an hour unless you have to pull in new wire'. They forget you don't have all the testers, tools, impacts, jacks that they are working with. I am also learning that I am not as young as I once was and the eyesight, well, I can see good enough to pass the eye test for the DOT. OMG, I just realized my drivers license expired almost a month ago!!

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD

Old 10-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #521

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, I finally made it through this thread, and am still laughing! OK, my first MH was a 1974 Shasta Class A, 25', P-30, 454! It was a beast! I mean it would hump up and go! So after a weekend of fixing all the things, and getting her ready, the next weekend, we load up 3 teen age boys, the DW and me, and take off for a long weekend. Well, with us all using the toilet, it was getting pretty full, I was thinking, surely the black water tank is not full already? Being this is my first MH, and just tent camped before, I was unsure, but we went to the dump station, hooked up the hose, pulled the valve, Nothing? huh? the toilet is full, WTH?, Went ahead and dumped the grey water, and it dumped just fine. Well, I thought, we will just have to use the Rest room by our camp site, and not spoil our weekend. So we load up to go home, the toilet is getting pretty ripe, we just turned on the fan and drove to the DW's brothers house. He has a MH, surely he will know what to do? He says huh? We open the valve, nothing, we bang on the black water tank, sounds empty? Ok, so in the MH we go, he is fumbling around the bottom on the toilet, low and behold, a little hidden compartment door comes off, there is a handle? he grabs it and pulls, the toilet dumps into the holding tank, but wait, did we close the valve outside? We hear a scream, guess not? Dumped the toilet out on the driveway! Come to find out we had a recirculating toilet? and you charge it with the potty stuff, and when it gets full, dump it in the holding tank, and do it all over again! So I spent the next hour or so washing the driveway down! Who knew?
Old 10-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #522

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't forget to release the parking break on your toad before starting off. I put the toad on the dolly the night before departing and didn't release it when we started out. A mile later at a stop sigh someone told me I had a problem. I left a black stripe a mile long right back to my house. I now have a visual reminder every time I start out!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #523
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Sounds like my experience I had with replacing the black water gate valve with a long cable on our HR Vacationer. Apparently, when they replaced the valve and cable, there was a kink in the cable and it didn't quite close. After 3 days of travel we arrived at our site, I took the sewer cap off and.......I stripped down on the spot and went and had a shower and threw away my clothes!
Old 10-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #524

That's what you call a bad day Dog patch.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #525

I may have made this post before, but, if not, there are some things you should not attempt in the campground.

On the way home from Alaska this summer we spent a few days in Kamloops to meet up and visit with my son and his family. They were on a BC Tour showing the InLaws the beautiful sights of BC.
So, the Alternator had failed during our trip. I got the OEM part number with a phone call to Spartan and managed to source a new assembly at a good price from an auto electric store in Kamloops.
Now both my son and I are licensed mechanics so changing an alternator is a simple task that will only take a few minutes.
So while he was next door, we proceeded to make the change. It went somewhat bad when the bolts for the terminals on the back of the alternator were seized such that they twisted off during removal. No big deal, we have a new alternator.
Now we get it out onto the picnic table and proceed to remove the old pulley to install onto the new alternator. That is when things went South.
The pulley was seized onto the shaft so tight it was nearly impossible to remove. Now, had we had a bearing spreader and puller, which both of us have at home, the problem would have been an easy fix. But armed with only a Hatchet (no big hammer in the arsenal), a large pair of water pump pliers, a propane torch and a six pack of beer, (all the essentials) two hours later, in the dark, we finally got the pulley off with minimal damage, and installed the new alternator.
Tried to start the engine to check out the alternator. Engine would crank but not start. Another hour trying to figure this one out. In the dark of course.
Come to find that I had missed one Negative connection to the chassis battery that controls power to the fuel pump. Installed the wire and Bruuummmm,,, we have lift of at about 11PM at night.
This is another one of those things that are easy. IF You Have The Right Tools and not working on a picnic table in a campground. Arrrrgh!!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #526

Besure to close the windows before you bring in the slides after a rain, got a bunch of water behind the sofa now:( Found that out today.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:25 AM   #527

NEVER I say NEVER lock the rear axle on a twin screw tractor when the RV is dragging the ground "high sided in the middle" while trying to back into the campsite. this may roll the tank brackets up into the fuel tank making a 6" gash in it that lets 80 gal of diesel drain out on the camp site. ask me how I know. the kicker is that months later my 6 year old found a switch that faintly reads "city ride" that when pressed ads extra air the bags and gives you 4" extra ride high. that may of saved me a couple grand and a real mess at that campground
Old 10-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #528

Winnebago Owners Club
Tom076 - well written. Great descriptors. Could picture each and every move you made.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #529

I did take pics of my mess just in case the insurance had to get involved... but the owner of the campground was very very nice and called someone and got a backhoe and dump truck on site in 30 min and they dug all the oil soaked dirt up and replaced it with new asphalt millings that night. he even had the crew stay late to help remove the fuel tank to have it repaired. he would not accept any $ from me he was more worried about the damage to my rig then his campsite
Old 10-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #530

Things not to do winners this year are:

This year's stupidity winners are:
First one was driving around campground in his class C with slides out and then parked as in pictures. I'm sure he will blame the tires for being faulty in the future as well as slides not working properly due to manufacturer's workmanship.
Second place goes to class A parked all weekend with rear end completely in air with not even chocking front wheels not that it should have even had rear wheels off the ground
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030249.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	76472   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030250.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	76473  

Name:	P1030251.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	76474   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030252.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	76475  

Name:	P1030299.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	574.7 KB
ID:	76476  
Old 10-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #531
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post
I did take pics of my mess just in case the insurance had to get involved... but the owner of the campground was very very nice and called someone and got a backhoe and dump truck on site in 30 min and they dug all the oil soaked dirt up and replaced it with new asphalt millings that night. he even had the crew stay late to help remove the fuel tank to have it repaired. he would not accept any $ from me he was more worried about the damage to my rig then his campsite
Now that's not a campground story you hear every day!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #532

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up The GPS made me do it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
The GPS made me do it.
Well the GPS did make me do it! 2011 moved the oldest boy to LA for a new life and career, towed a U-Haul trailer with his car and belongings behind our '08 Bounder 35H. In LA GPS kept yelling move left, I did right into the HOV lane, yes we had four of us in the MH BUT the HOV lane is not for Motorhomes towing 25' of trailer since they snake the HOV lanes up and over the main highway and make the overpasses very low and the bends very tight! Needless to say a Honda Civic or a VW Jetta can manage the curves and height BUT the Bounder all 12'6" and 60' combined did not fare as well. Made it out with a mangled AM/FM antenna whip and a scrape on the Bounder about 8" long, that was a close one. SO I purchased a GPS for large rig RV's and Semi's. Much better now!