RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #575

Don't squat with your spurs on!

luqutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #576

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqutus View Post
Don't squat with your spurs on!
Do not try to teach a pig to sing.

It wastes your time, and, annoys the pig.

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #577

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of incidents with tow vehicles and I will add mine here.

We pulled into a nice RV park outside San Antonio on a Sunday afternoon. I picked up my papers for my site in the mailbox outside office/clubhouse, as no park staff were working. I decided to unhooked the Honda CRV there in the driveway. Unhooked the car and turned my back to it, while putting my vinyl cover on the tow bar. Turning around I see to my amazement, the car is gone. Looking up I see the car rolling down the driveway that had a slight downslope. I tried running after it, but quickly concluded I am too old for that. I thought it would hit the large brick column at the entrance and stopping it, but it just missed it. It continued out the driveway across a two lane highway and on the flat shoulder, then hitting a high chain link fence that stopped it.

Almost no damage luckily. Thank God no cars were on that road, as I later noticed they go 50 mph on that road. I never told my wife who was inside the coach on your phone, and completely unaware of the entire event. It sure scared the **** out of me. It wont happen again.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #578

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You now have 300,000 witness, anyone know his wife?
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:00 PM   #579

Do not close the sliding door on the rear closet when you are inside the closet to adjust the door. The lock is only accessible from the outside
randyr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:44 PM   #580
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
The same goes for the sliding tray underneath. I crawled in one day to run a wire across the coach when the door closed behind me. Just like the morg shots on TV. I managed to finally get the door unlocked but it was a fight.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:13 PM   #581
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's like not keeping the exit door latch lubed and having to crawl out a window when it wont open.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #582

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaZzeledSue View Post
I'm sure many or all of you did something you should not have ... Right? Wouldn't it be nice to have a list of things not to do before you do the same thing...come on all and share with me so I can learn from your mistakes. I'm sure will will make many myself and will share them also, so we can all learn.

Dont leave with the satellite dish up. Someone caught me before we actually got on the road. Halfhimers
Samuise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:18 PM   #583

Shortly after retiring, we bought our first RV. We didn't mess around. We bought a 37' Class A gasser. Go big or go home, right? I test drove it, once, before purchase, & have never driven something that big, before. I got a storage space & nervously drove it straight there (about 15 miles). All the other RVs were backed in but I wasn't ready to back this thing.

A few weeks later, I get a call, that I have a new, next door neighbor, a 40' goose neck trailer (off road racer) & he had a heck of a time parking it. I told them to give him my number & I would move it, to be helpful. I get a call, from the guy, a couple weeks later, & would like to get it out. This is the 3rd time I've driven it, ever. I start backing it out of the diagonal space / /. His truck was to my right & I wasn't sure if I'd hit it, if I backed to the left, so I cranked it to the right. I lost site of his son, who was guiding me, looked at the back up cam. & all I saw was the ground, so I gave it a little gas... BAM!!! Right into the eave of the garage type storage, behind me. I crushed the rain gutter, on the building, crushed the ladder, on the back of the rig, & put a ding in the rear cap.

To add insult to injury, we find out, it's super easy for him to pull his trailer out, only tough to back it in. This is what I get for being helpful. As my Mom used to say, "no good deed goes unpunished".
Old 05-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #584

Getting ready for our 1st camping trip, in our 1st RV, with a group of people we know. The CG have NO hookups. I know, bold move for newbies to dry camp (first & last, btw). I fill the fresh water tank, go inside, flip on the water pump, & turn on the kitchen faucet. No water. I call the dealer (4:30 Friday afternoon). They transfer me to a tech & he talks me through, switching the valves to normal. I test it with the outdoor shower & water comes out. Disaster diverted, right? Walk around to the entry door & can hear the kitchen faucet running, Yes! Look in & see a waterfall coming from the counter top, NOOOOOOOOO!!!

I had put the covers back on the sink & didn't turn off the faucet. Only damage was my pride.

We've had it 3 years now & camp every month, with a different group, that only camp with full hookups. We've even driven it from So. Cal. to Santa Fe, NM. This summer we're going from So. Cal. to U.P. Mi., with a toad. I'm going to reread all 42 pages of this thread, to refresh my memory. Hopefully I won't post again, to this thread. Pray for me, please.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiscoord View Post
Oh gosh yea! Have even driving around the block several times just because just around the corner to DW "Did we lower the garage?"
Around the block, HECK, we have gone back 15 miles to check before
waterjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #586

I've seen a couple of mine on here already, like driving away with the 30 amp cord still plugged in.

However.... I haven't seen this one. When we bought our preowned 87 Suncruiser, I already knew we were probably going to get a new engine under warranty. From reading Motorhome magazine, I knew that the stamped steel torque converters in that era Chevy P30 chassis would inflate like a balloon when stalled (like climbing a curb, or, duh, leveling with blocks), and push forward on the crank, destroying seals and bearings.

And we did. I paid for a cast iron Allison converter to forestall (see what I did there?) it happening again out of warranty.

So, a short time later, prepping for a trip, I opened the little hood and checked the various fluids. I opened the little metal radiator cap thingy and didn't see any coolant.

So I stuck the garden hose in the hole to top it off. It was taking a loooong time to add what should have been a little water.

EXCEPT... the little radiator cap thingy which looked just like a small radiator cap was... the crankcase oil fill.

Yup, I ran a gallon or so of water right into my brand new warranty engine's crankcase.

Luckily, I hadn't started the engine. A little thinking and consultation with a couple of friends, and I drained the crankcase of the oil and water, refilled to with oil, and all was well for > 25 years, until we gave it away 2 Christmases ago to a homeless vet and family.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #587

Don't walk out to talk to your buddy as your wife gets in the shower. The shower door travel lock may swing down and not let her out of the shower. Oh ya did I say I was gone for about 45 minutes drinking coffee with my buddy wondering what was taking her so long. She was not a happy camper that morning!
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #588

Winnebago Owners Club
It was second year of RVing in our class A diesel push, we were taking a long vacation with our grandkids heading out to NC. Needed to stop for fuel, so exited off the HW for pulled in a small gas station, put the transmission in "N" walked out to pay first as I was waiting to pay looked over, OMG my RV is rolling away, ran out jumped in driver seat slammed on the brake stopped just a few feet away from a parked pickup truck in. Scared the crap out me and the wife.
Yes I forgot to pull the parking brake, yes my wife chowed my out pretty bad and yes still reminds of it ever time I stop. Luckley this was a small station and the door was only about 20 feet away.

Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote