Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #85

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't pull out of the garage with the slide out makes a big mess out of the garage. Luckily no damages to the MH
garyclegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #86

National RV Owners Club
Never walk backwards around the back of the MH pulling the landline with the side rear compartment door open and then turn and walk at the same time right into it, OUCH.

Done the slides many times, have a badge for one from the bedroom slide on my nose bridge.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Done the slides many times, have a badge for one from the bedroom slide on my nose bridge.
Ditto. Usually I'm sweeping the driveway, looking down and POW! You'd think I would finally learn.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #88

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For those who have not yet seen the Lucille Ball movie The Long Long Trailer it is available from Netflix. It will give you some laughs as well as things to think about.
There was one scene where I fully expected the wheels to go over the edge of the cliff.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
So... no one else has ever walked around the corner of the RV and straight into the extended slide?

I have heard of this happening.
Noooooo! That's why I have pieces of bright green foam things on the corners so that won't happen to me like all you other fools.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:41 AM   #90

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
Be too cheap and instruct your GPS to 'avoid tolls' while enroute. It routed me through downtown DC before I could see the entire routing and thus not take its recommendations. A lot of narrow streets and traffic circles. a 33' TT doesn't do well in traffic circles.

Know your route limitations before starting. On the same trip, it was too late to see that I could not use the Baltimore tunnel as I had Hazmat (propane). I ended up at the inner harbor surface streets well over their posted weight restrictions.
Ouch! I don't like driving in DC in a car.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #91

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
So... no one else has ever walked around the corner of the RV and straight into the extended slide?

I have heard of this happening.
I won't say that I walked under the front of the 5er one time with no problem and the next I grew taller.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #92

Ok, i can't believe i'm the only one this happend to, but...Make sure the air bag suspension inflates before attempting to drive. i pulled out of my driveway which is a slight slope to the flat road and the right front scraped the ground at the same time the left rear scraped the driveway...torqued the chassis and broke/popped out both windshields. The rig was stuck across both lanes of the road (wheels would spin) so i frantically ran up the driveway, got my little Dodge Dakota and a chain, put the wife in RV drivers seat and told her to steer and put the dakota in 4 low. The Dakota at 4700lbs with all 4 wheels chirping pulled my 28,000lb coach into the roadway, but i still didn't know why the airbags didn't inflate and i couldn't get it back into the driveway so i drove it 2 miles to my office at 5mph because any faster and it wanted to bounce off the ground. Lucky the only damage was the windshields, and i learned to go around and touch the airbags before departure to make sure they inflate properly.
Apoccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #93

So why didn't they inflate? I have to remember to flip the switch!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #94

Freightliner Owners Club
Used to be 6ft2inches tall after hitting my head on the slide out numerous times probably bout 6ft by now .wife says maybe you will start thinking where's the compassion at .ill tell ya.
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #95

Here's another

I have endless stories to share but here's my second:
Get out of work early cause we're heading out to Florida some 1300 miles away for easter break. We pull onto the highway just 15 minutes from home. Only minutes later dead stop traffic. Fatal accident on freeway and the police tell each vehicle that you'll be sitting for at least 6 hours because when there is a fatal accident and has to be investigated. The police want all vehicles to first back up and cross over the median. You know what happens next. We should have backed up to the level police cross over. Sure enough our tow bar on the MH gets dug into the ground and we cannot go forward or back even with the toad removed. So we're stuck until we get towed out. All part of the RV experience. Within 15 minutes helicopters are over us from the news station filming. Shortly after that we are approached by news casters on foot. Traffic was halted in both directions, so the scene was rather quiet on this well know freeway. The news reporter approached us for an interview first consoling us if we had the fatality. It really looked like we were in the accident which was only less then 1/10th mile away. Shortly after her arrival another reporter walked down for an interview. They didn't seem to understand that we were not in the accident. My kids felt quite embarrassed being in this situation. They were teens and just refused to leave the MH. Later that evening we watched the local news to see what happened, yes we were able to see our MH on TV filmed from overhead. Hours later we were towed out before traffic continued, thank god for that. Thank god we were 1/10th miles behind. So don't try to get out of work early to get a head start.
jmarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #96
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had a long weekend planned so I too left work early to try to beat the pending rain. Well the DW was not read so the rain started down. Heading out the back road and up the hill and started to spin the tires in the mud. Slid off the driveway going up the last hill. Had to get out the trackhoe to pull it out. Put the DW in the drivers seat for the first time and she was nervous as heck. Told her to drive it out easy while I pulled. I got it to move a few feet and heard her reving the engine. After moving it only a couple of feed I noticed I was dragging the back tires. Got off the trackhoe and asked her if she took the parking brake off. She was so nervous she was just flustered and screamed at me how the heck should she know where the heck the parking brake was. I calmly told her it was the large yellow knob marked parking brake. At this point she is ready to kill me and ready to call off the trip. Once the brake was off it was easy to pull it up the hill. We did get it up the hill and on the road in time to beat the traffic. I now turn the rig around in the driveway and no longer go out the back road anymore.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #97
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
Had a long weekend planned so I too left work early to try to beat the pending rain. Well the DW was not read so the rain started down. Heading out the back road and up the hill and started to spin the tires in the mud. Slid off the driveway going up the last hill. Had to get out the trackhoe to pull it out. Put the DW in the drivers seat for the first time and she was nervous as heck. Told her to drive it out easy while I pulled. I got it to move a few feet and heard her reving the engine. After moving it only a couple of feed I noticed I was dragging the back tires. Got off the trackhoe and asked her if she took the parking brake off. She was so nervous she was just flustered and screamed at me how the heck should she know where the heck the parking brake was. I calmly told her it was the large yellow knob marked parking brake. At this point she is ready to kill me and ready to call off the trip. Once the brake was off it was easy to pull it up the hill. We did get it up the hill and on the road in time to beat the traffic. I now turn the rig around in the driveway and no longer go out the back road anymore.
Different story, but same outcome with DW. Mine doesn't take anything like that very well and usually just walks and leaves me to figure it out. After an earful of course. gotta love her. LOL
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
So why didn't they inflate? I have to remember to flip the switch!
Apparently there is a "well known" bug in the auto leveling system. It turns out all you have to do is push extend on the jacks then retract and it will reset and close the valve allowing them to inflate. My friend experiences the same thing on his 2011 berkshire but he lucked out his driveway is level with the street
Apoccia is offline   Reply With Quote