Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #337

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
oooooooooh smelly smellyyyyyyyyy
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #338

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
ASSUME that just because your MH's 32" Sharp Aquos LCD TV (LC-32GA5U) and it has a HDMI jack that it is digital. I replaced the Winguard batwing with a Jack antenna but could not scan/program stations. I checked the manual and found it has a HDMI jack in the back but when I called customer service they said it could not scan/program Over-The-Air stations because the tuner is not digital. I need (park) cable, gov't box or Sat box to view TV stations.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
ASSUME that just because your MH's 32" Sharp Aquos LCD TV (LC-32GA5U) and it has a HDMI jack that it is digital. I replaced the Winguard batwing with a Jack antenna but could not scan/program stations. I checked the manual and found it has a HDMI jack in the back but when I called customer service they said it could not scan/program Over-The-Air stations because the tuner is not digital. I need (park) cable, gov't box or Sat box to view TV stations.
Wow, that's a bummer. You need a digital to analog convertor box -lol.

My turn, when you pull into a fast-food joint and just beat a truck driver into the last large parking space, open your black-tank drain cap real slowly when hooking up at the CG.

I know he did it to me. I could tell by the look he gave me. I just wish it would have clicked before I went to make my hookups at the campground.
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #340

I always park in the Cars only section especially in the wee hours. As a former commercial driver running coast to coast, it was very frustrating to have RVs spending the night when all I wanted was a few hours of shuteye. I've only been challenged one time in 15 years. After explaining my reasons to the security guy, he said OK.

BTW, where did he park long enough to do the deed, if indeed he did, and how did you make eye contact for the evil look he supposedly gave you?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #341

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very important...explain your height to your DW before the trip, so that if you don't see the sign that says "low bridge ahead" or "vehicles over 9'-0" must exit" she will know what it means.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
Very important...explain your height to your DW before the trip, so that if you don't see the sign that says "low bridge ahead" or "vehicles over 9'-0" must exit" she will know what it means.
Please tell me you did not actually hit a bridge with your RV? Was it bad or do you just remove your AC units? Not that that wouldn't be bad too.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #343

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't assume that the ground is frozen solidly enough to support a 25,000 lb RV just because there is snow on the ground and it has been below freezing for a week. After not doing that, also don't leave it for an hour and a half so it can fully settle in. And once you have not done that, don't sit and spin your tires digging deeper in.

Even if it is frozen it may be only a short depth and not adequate to support weight at least in northern Indiana in the winter. Maybe in Alaska it will work (after all they drive trucks over frozen lakes.) It may take time, a friend with a truck and and several pieces of flat plywood to get you out of the mud you have sunk into.

I'm not saying that happened to us, I wouldn't want to embarrass DH. But take my advice on this one.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post
I always park in the Cars only section especially in the wee hours. As a former commercial driver running coast to coast, it was very frustrating to have RVs spending the night when all I wanted was a few hours of shuteye. I've only been challenged one time in 15 years. After explaining my reasons to the security guy, he said OK.

BTW, where did he park long enough to do the deed, if indeed he did, and how did you make eye contact for the evil look he supposedly gave you?
We were at a McDonalds. He parked in the alley, blocked traffic. He lagged behind me, but we entered at about the same time. He would have walked right past my drains on the opposite side of the camper to get to the door. I was lugging a 4 year old so that tends to slow us down. My valves never leaked any liquid prior, haven't since then, either. I had just dumped them on a trip the week before and added a good bit of water for cleaning while in route on this trip.

After I was splashed with the liquid, I slapped the bayonet cap back on and grabbed a bucket, drained the rest from behind the cap. Guess what, the valves held everything else back. So, how did that bit of liquid get between the valves and cap? I'm convinced someone pulled the valve then shut it.

Was it him? Nobody knows but the person who did it. I've spent a career reading people. So I'll go with my gut. It's been right far more than wrong.

You believe what you want. I can read people pretty well. At the time, I thought he was giving me a look because I beat him to the parking spot. After getting splashed, I thought different.

No worries anyway. The moral of the story is, be careful when you crack that cap. You never know if somethings back there.
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #345

OOOoooh, that is a nasty trick. Think I will carry a plastic pail to be sure I don't get that treatment.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #346
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
OOOoooh, that is a nasty trick. Think I will carry a plastic pail to be sure I don't get that treatment.
Just a thought,

Pick up a clear plastic sewer pipe extension. You'll be able to see if anything is ahead of the cap.

I learned this after having a faulty gate valve.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #347

Make sure you black water valve hasn't rattled open on the bad gravel rd. especially don't remove the cap when you haven't noticed that valve. Like ye old faithful at the knees with black water!! DW wasn't kissing me that night
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #348

They sell caps that have a garden hose fitting, add a small valve and cap.

The cap can be removed, valve opened and any liquid comes out in controlled manner.

Total cost less than $5.00 at the RV store.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #349

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
Please tell me you did not actually hit a bridge with your RV? Was it bad or do you just remove your AC units? Not that that wouldn't be bad too.
I wish I could tell you that I was kidding but I can't...I hit a bridge on the Bronx Expressway with my 2000 Journey and totaled the motorhome. I used to shake my head when I heard of people doing something like that...now, I is one...!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post

I wish I could tell you that I was kidding but I can't...I hit a bridge on the Bronx Expressway with my 2000 Journey and totaled the motorhome. I used to shake my head when I heard of people doing something like that...now, I is one...!
If it makes you feel any better back in the 80si was driving truck for a construction company. Specifically a triaxle dump truck hauling sand gravel and dirt. One particular day I was heading down the hwy with trucks from the other lane flashing their lights. Looked in my mirror to see the bed going up. I grabbed the release and the brakes as I was at an overpass. Just clipped the dust shield and flipped it back. Told my boss the pto must be slipping into gear on its own. Didn't believe me until a week later his son took a few phone lines down in town.
It was supposedly fixed and no issues for about a month then one rainy day hauling a muddy sloppy mess I was drying thru town where the road dips below some RR tracks. It was training so hard traffic was only going 25 and I couldn't even see my mirrors not to mention what was behind me. Got to the bridge and BAM! The truck jumped and I knew right away I hit the bridge. It tore the bed clear off. Lucky no one was hurt. I was afraid someone was behind me and was under the bed .