Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Things that make you go Hmmm?

I have always found it curious that in light of all the discussion on here and elsewhere about tires, regarding heat and impact of environmental influences, that someone decided it make sense to put the exhaust pipe of the F-53 chassis directly in front of the rear tires? Hmmmm.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #2

Most all of the Workhorse chassis are that way too. I suspect it is because of the extra expense and flow restriction that would result from having the tailpipe(s) go up and over the rear axle, as it does on most cars.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #3

i agree with edgray
Old 10-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #4

The other thing is you have a 60 to 80 gal gas tank back there and when empty has alot of fumes in it, KA BOOM!
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #5

I'd doubt that the exhaust had any significant effect on the temperature of the tires. It doesn't blow on the tires but to the outside of the coach and out toward the area away from the RV. I drove one for 14 years and never saw any effect on the tires.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use an IR gun on my tires every time I stop. My exhaust is like you said, about a foot in front of the tires.

Occasionally those tires will be a couple degrees warmer than my other tires but not by very much. A lot depends on which way the wind is blowing.

My generator exhaust also exits there too, right next to my engine exhaust.

My exhaust pipe looks like a Zebra where the black from the high part of the tread has striped it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote