Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok folks I'd like some input and advice on what type of things I should carry in the motor home. We have several long trips planned this year. The Sightseer already comes with a mounted spare tire, and I've read from some that a fan belt is a good idea. But beyond that I'm really unsure what all I should have in my emergency maintenance kit. If an item really is only needed for a DP make a note of that, so us gassers don't get confused

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Spare Tire
<LI> Fan Belt
<LI> Tools
<LI> Zip Ties, small/med/large
<LI> Duct Tape/Electrical Tape
<LI> Air Compressor
<LI> Coach.net Emergency Number![/list]
Thanks!

Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok folks I'd like some input and advice on what type of things I should carry in the motor home. We have several long trips planned this year. The Sightseer already comes with a mounted spare tire, and I've read from some that a fan belt is a good idea. But beyond that I'm really unsure what all I should have in my emergency maintenance kit. If an item really is only needed for a DP make a note of that, so us gassers don't get confused

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Spare Tire
<LI> Fan Belt
<LI> Tools
<LI> Zip Ties, small/med/large
<LI> Duct Tape/Electrical Tape
<LI> Air Compressor
<LI> Coach.net Emergency Number![/list]
Thanks!

Old 01-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My emergancy kit also includes a 25' role of plastic sheeting.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #4

The fan belt is a good idea. Some of these items are not emergency items, per se, but are good to have with you. I carry an extra set of wiper blades, fuses, light bulbs for everything that has a bulb in it, including the fridge, spray lube, a gallon of coolant, a couple of quarts of oil, transmission fluid, several 1X6 blocks of wood to use under the jacks, a plastic tarp, spare drawer and closet door latches, a small parts cabinet with sliding drawers in it to hold the misc. small items. I also carry a digital multi-meter and a device that I plug into any shore power before hooking up(I also installed a PI HW 50C EMS in my coach). Some paper towels and micro fiber towls are good to have on hand as are some cleaning and wax products for the wheels and outside of the coach. If your coach has carpeting, some spray carpet cleaner is a must. Resolve is a good one. I also carry a smart trickle charger that I hook up to the chassis batteries when I'm plugged in to shore power. I have a coiled air line and air chuck and guage to check and air up the tires(not sure if your coach has air suspension and an aircompressor on it or not). Misc. nuts, bolts and screws are also good to have on hand, Extra batteries for anything that you carry with you that is battery powered, All of the manuals for the coach and everything in it, A spare set of keys to the door and the ignition, Emergency flares and wheel chocks. I'm sure others will chime in.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #5

I always carry a bottle of Jack Daniels. Then, if something breaks, I call someone to fix it and have a cocktail while I'm waiting.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Your list is pretty good. I too pack a roll of poly and duct tape. I'd also be sure to pack a spare set of windshield wiper blades and lots of fluids, such as oil, coolant, ATF, etc. A spare fuel filter is a good idea, especially on a DP. If you ever get a bad batch of fuel you'll need it. Don't forget the filter wrench.

You wouldn't believe what I all pack as far as tools go. The reason we had to upgrade from our Suncruiser was so that we had more CCC to carry all the tools.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:33 PM   #7

Don't forget a roll of EternaBond and some real fire extinguishers. A heavy ball pene hammer, rain poncho and a comprehensive first aid kit. A Power-Pull/Come-Along and some truckers chain may be a consideration too.

Also don't forget some real fire extinguishers.

Did I mention the fire extinguishers? (See photo hopefully below.)

Old 01-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks folks that's a big help!

Is the 25' role of plastic sheeting for disposing of bodies when Jack Bauer visits your camp?

Jack Daniels... I like your idea, still think I'll take a few extras along to be safe.

I think I heard a mention of a fire extinguisher but I wasn't really sure
Old 01-31-2007, 03:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Neil is that your motorhome? I would love to hear the story behind that picture.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
jfb

Don't forget your fishing tackle and clam gun...
Old 02-01-2007, 02:59 AM   #11

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:
Neil is that your motorhome? I would love to hear the story behind that picture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Neil , Hope everyone was OK.
Did your insurance cover all the damage?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #12

I also second the fire extinguisher idea. I had the opportunity to attend a fire and the dinky fire extinguisher that comes with the motorhomes is grossly inadequate to say it nicely. I have a big one now.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:29 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:
Neil is that your motorhome? I would love to hear the story behind that picture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The picture is of my 1995 Winnebago Vectra 33RQ after it had been on fire for around a half hour.

We were on our way down I4 to Clermont Florida from Tampa for the 2006 Memorial Day weekend on our first extended highway trip when the dog started alerting and we began to notice a smokey smell. When I tapped the brake to get off cruise control white smoke came billowing out from under the stone guard and was visable on the rear view monitor. when I tried to slow down to pull over we had no brakes so I rode the transmission down and got into the chatter strip to stop the coach and when we were almost stopped a fireball blew out from the right hand side of the coach. We quickly exited two children, the dog and cat. While my wife got everyone else away from the coach and dialed 911 I took the fire extinguisher and put out the fire in the right front wheel well only to have it spring back to life after a few moments. I repeated this process until the extinguisher was empty and then abandoned the coach shutting down the propane tank as I went by it.

The fire engine got misdirected and took the exit before us even though we were standing right in front of them. By the time they got back it was too late.

So there we were on the side of I4 with all sort of people, some well wishers others just not to bright, approaching a full 80 gallon gas tank along with 100 Lbs of propane that was on fire.

The really frustrating part is that it took the fire about 25 minutes to get past the firewall and into the coach, so the fire department if they had just seen us and not turned off was there in plenty of time to put out the fire before any major damage occured inside the coach. Also the fire was almost out when I ran out of extinguisher. If I had a spare extinguisher I may have been able to put the fire out or at least kept snubbing it every time it flashed up until the fire department finally arrived.

The insurance Progressive was good about paying off the coach however the agent who sold us the policy at AAA incorrectly told us that contents were automatically covered when on the road and we were denied coverage on the contents.

Nobody got hurt and the root cause was either an overheated wheel bearing or dragging brake caliper. We had just had it lubed a few months prior and had put only a thousand or so miles on since then so the chances are they skipped the right front wheel or possibly overtightened the wheel bearing after they lubed it.

Did I mention that I think it is a good idea to carry a few "real" fire extinguishers?

I now carry three extra "real" ones myself.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:26 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Neil,

What a story. Can't the believe people were even close to the rig. I know my wife and kids would have been 1/2 a mile away ASAP.

I will be adding a real fire extinguisher for my trip on Sunday.

Curiousity only, I'm presuming you had a mid entry door. If you had a front entry door, would you have been able to get out? Or would you have had to use a window?

JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote