Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
They play the old used car trade in strategy

I agree with everything said previously, but would like to add that Lazy Days asking price is always high. They play the old used car trade in strategy and will give you more for your trade, or discount the asking price if you don't trade one in.

So, to make a proper decision, I would first find out what the Lazy Days bottom line is.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, I happen to believe that the best coach is the one that's being used. That 4 year old coach that only has 5700 miles on it probably hasn't had much attention. Also, how many hours are on the generator? It could be a decent coach if it had all fluids, filters replaced and start putting some miles on it. Anything that will need fixing should show up in the first year.

I also have a problem with tires that have done nothing but sit for four years.

Of course, the coach with 57000 miles on it, and a few hours on the generator, may have other issues such as more wear and tear particularly to the furniture and flooring. I don't know if there would be $16,000.00 worth of wear and tear.

All things considered, I'd buy the coach with more miles on it.

Of course, you have to consider that opinion comes from one who bought his coach with 112,000 miles on it, now at 145,000 miles.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We have been getting closer to making a decision.

The coach with the 57k miles needs tires, and the washer dryer. This is going to add about $4500 to the cost of the unit. Another thing we found out was that the extended warranty was going to be $8562 bumper to bumper.

The coach with 5700 miles does not need tires, has the washer and dryer already, and the extended warranty is $5293. Lazy Days also brought the price down another $5600.

So with all of that the Lazy Days coach is now $3560 cheaper than the coach with 57k miles.

It is a lot of work figuring all this out
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyrice76 View Post

The coach with the 57k miles needs tires, and the washer dryer. This is going to add about $4500 to the cost of the unit. Another thing we found out was that the extended warranty was going to be $8562 bumper to bumper.

The coach with 5700 miles does not need tires, has the washer and dryer already, and the extended warranty is $5293. Lazy Days also brought the price down another $5600.

So with all of that the Lazy Days coach is now $3560 cheaper than the coach with 57k miles.

I think you just figured it out.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
A word of advise read that warranty word for word and I strongly suggest you have a
major service done on it so you have the most current paper work to start off with.
By service I mean everything changed and all lube work done with a detailed sheet
on what was done. Also get what they call a 32 point DOT inspection and you are
set if the warranty company tries to get funny.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
What all is done on a major service for a diesel? Also is there somewhere I can get a checklist for the 32 point DOT inspection you mentioned??
Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #21

Quote:
We have a 34B gas Bounder. It has been a great coach but as we do more and go further distances I feel the diesel will be more comfortable to drive and travel in. We are looking at a 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X. We love the floorplan. The coach has 57k miles. I know diesels will go much higher but does that seem high. We found the same coach at Lazy Days in FL $16k more but it only had 5700 miles on it. Should I be worried about the difference in miles or the difference in price.

Thanks,

Troy
Hi Troy, I do not understand why people think a motorhome with 50,000 miles plus, is hi mileage.... I have a 99 Alpine, 330 cummins with 74,000 miles. Engine and drive train componets should last much longer than that. I am a retired cross country trucker. I sold my 1984 Peterbilt 11-09, with 3,145,000 miles. Original engine, sure it had been overhauled a couple times. It would usually be around a million miles before I worked on it, trans 900,000, rear ends 1.4 million. So when I hear about these hi mileage motor homes, I have to giggle a little. don't worry be happy. Happy trails from the old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #22

Quote:
We have a 34B gas Bounder. It has been a great coach but as we do more and go further distances I feel the diesel will be more comfortable to drive and travel in. We are looking at a 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X. We love the floorplan. The coach has 57k miles. I know diesels will go much higher but does that seem high. We found the same coach at Lazy Days in FL $16k more but it only had 5700 miles on it. Should I be worried about the difference in miles or the difference in price.

Thanks,

Troy

Hi Troy, I just reread your thread. 52,000 miles difference for $16,000 difference....I wouldpersonally save the $$$ that is nearly enough difference for the cost of a new engine..
Old 04-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Old Trucker. Those are some crazy miles.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #24

Quote:

Troy, I see an excessive amount of the price is the extended warranty. I for one, never buy any extended warranties. There is probably as much profit for the dealer on the warranty as their is on the coach itself. A warranty is basicaly an insurance policy. How many insurance companies go broke. There are far to many loop holes in these contracts. Example; a fan belt brakes, engine overheats, warps the head and block. On a Cummins or Cat, replacement engine installed $18 to $20,000. Are you covered?? No. belts are not covered, and belts are what caused the problem>>>For me and my coach, we are self insured, no service contracts. old trucker
Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
The higher mileage Discovery did not make the cut. We have now narrowed our decision down to the 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X with 5700 miles, or a 2007 Monaco Knight 40SKT with 48,000 miles.

The Monaco looks like the better buy. Bigger motor, and more power.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Major Service.
Drain and refill front wheel bearings / grease filled bearings check and add grease if
required.
Check air intake for cracked hoses, loose clamps, and or damage
Check wheel lug nut torque
Inspect fan and fan shroud for any wear or damage
Check belt tensioner bearing for any indication of a problem
Change air filter and check filter monitor
Change transmission fluid and filters
Lubricate steering linkage & drive shaft U-joints, air brake camshafts slip yoke and
brake linkage.
Lubricate front axle king pins (note: weight needs to be off the tire to do right)
Lubricate exhaust brake
Replace fuel water separator ( make sure it is the right one)
Check/Clean electrical grounds (Diesels do not like bad grounds)
Inspect all drive belts carefully and replace if any signs of damage.
Change rear axle lubricant
Change coolant with approved type , check all hoses, clamps
Replace air dryer coalescing and desiccant filter
Change fuel filter
Change oil filter
Change oil
Clean radiator and other attached coolers
Check shocks
Check all brake system parts
Check Battery & Terminals
Check Radiator Cap and over flow tank
Check for any oil leaks
Check wiper blades & fluid
Check windshield
Check all springs, struts
Check all lights and proper headlight aim
Check all horns
If generator change oil & oil filter& air filters
Run test for starting and operating under load

I am sure I missed something now for the DOT inspection contact just about
any truck repair service that is certified to do DOT inspections and they should
have the list.
I had it done and they found one missing cotter pin nice to find out about and take
care of.
Doing this will give you a base line to work with
Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you so much for all of this information. I just emailed the sales rep and am waiting to hear back on what all will be done before I get the coach. From and earlier conversation with him I do know several of the items listed above are covered.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Troy glad to help. Buying a used anything has a risk factor MH are right up there
because of no records and the maintenance may or may not have been done. The
key word NOT is more likely. Any work I have done I inspect to make sure it was
done and over many years have found it well worth while in catching poor service.

Tags
diesel