Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thinking about a Diesel

We have a 34B gas Bounder. It has been a great coach but as we do more and go further distances I feel the diesel will be more comfortable to drive and travel in. We are looking at a 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X. We love the floorplan. The coach has 57k miles. I know diesels will go much higher but does that seem high. We found the same coach at Lazy Days in FL $16k more but it only had 5700 miles on it. Should I be worried about the difference in miles or the difference in price.

Thanks,

Troy
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Diesel engines like to be used and not sit. So much though depends on maintenance performed. If you can validate that proper maintenence was done at the correct times, I wouldn't hesitate with the higher mileage coach.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Absolutely not. We purchased a coach with approx. the same mileage as yours. No problems with drive train. You might be a little shocked at what the RV dealers charge to service the diesel however. That's why I do my own.
Richard
Old 04-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I'd worry more about less miles sitting isn't good for any vehicle. Bought ours last fall with 62k on it with good maintenance records, now sitting at ~66k. I checked out everything in the house portion and we're happy.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #5

I would be a little more afraid of the low mielage one. You probably have a 15,000 mile, or annual, oil change interval on the diesel and I would wonder if the low mileage one even had it done. The higher mileage has gone through a break-in period and if you can get the records you would be farther ahead with that.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #6

The 40x is probably the most popular floor plan and a nice coach. As far as the price is 50,000 miles worth 16,000 dollars? I look at asking prices as somewhere to start not buy. If you show them the money they will probably sell it for the same price.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel coaches are far superior especially if you cover many miles. I've owned both types and, for me, one of the biggest factors is the engine / generator layout. The engine is in the back, far removed from the driving area. That equals QUIET while you are going down the road. The generator is in the front, far removed from your sleeping compartment. That equals QUIET while you are sleeping if you have to run the generator for AC.

The heavier chassis also means a smoother, more stable ride. Less sway and you don't get pushed around by the wind or big trucks near as badly as with lighter coaches.

Diesel coaches are much easier to service. Just take a look at the engine compartment. Everything is much easier to access and if you are remotely mechanically inclined, you can do the basics (filters, fluids and grease) yourself.

Most motorhome owners will never realize the biggest benefit of a diesel engine - the ability to go for hundreds of thousands of miles before needing an overhaul. But, this fact should make you much more comfortable buying a coach with more miles on it than on a gasser. I agree with the other posters that, if the maintenance has been kept up to date, you should probably prefer a coach that has been driven over one that has sat on a lot - especially at Lazy Days. I'm a big Lazy Days fan but I wouldn't buy a coach from them that had been on the lot very long. Just too much foot traffic and abuse to the engine, generator, batteries, etc.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all so much for the quick and great responses. I will make sure to see what I can get from the dealer with regards to service records. I will definitely do the extended warranty to be on the safe side. I never thought about the miles as being such a positive.
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #9

40X is an awesome layout and we would have grabbed one had it been in our budget. Worry about condition and not mileage for sure. All things being equal, I'd keep the 16 grand and take the mileage

Steve
Old 04-20-2012, 04:05 AM   #10

This is the floor plan that my wife and I have fallen in love with.
TheTourVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #11

My wife and I love this floor plan and the 08 Monaco Knight that shares one similar. We were just in the Lazy Days one you are speaking about and t looks really good.

One thing to consider is the 30 day bumper to bumper warranty from the dealer. While not much, it's more than some do and it was great for us. Dropped our coach off after first trip and they fixed everything.
TheTourVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I most certainly would not worry about the coach with the higher miles. Good luck with your decision.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #13

Higher milleage diesels

When you look in the NADA book at diesel coaches, there is no deduction for miles as there is for a gas coach. BUT... service records are very important. You also can have the chassis or engine service people pull computer codes to see if the coach has ever overheated or been driven over the rpm limit. Look at the date codes on the tires to determine when they were built; replacing old tires can be very expensive. Look for recall notices on the chassis and motor to be sure any faults have been corrected. DACOTAH
Old 04-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourVan View Post
My wife and I love this floor plan and the 08 Monaco Knight that shares one similar. .
We have an 08 knight 40skq, identical to the 40x floorplan (except for our 2nd BR slide). We absolutely love it. We bought it from Lazydays, too. Nice outfit, we would buy from them again.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel