Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2015, 04:31 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Smile thinking about adding some storage into Gen slide compartment

I have a dp with front slide out generator. I am thinking about addiNG some storage in this space,

The gen is usually only run while on road or to charge batteries.

Excluding size and weight concerns, any other considerations on what not to store in compartment? Or what to store?

Hoping for ideas and pictures of such.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 05:00 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I am not familiar with a diesel generator but the gas ones get very hot and I would not store anything in the same compartment. Also cutting down the size of the compartment bt storing things in there may disrupt the air flow needed to keep the generator cool. That being said I think the diesels are water cooled and that may not be a problem.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. My generator slide is pretty heavily built and when the slide is in all the weight is on the tracks so I don't think a little extra weight would be a problem.

My generator slide has a void space in front of the generator to the fiberglass front cap. I have seen several posts where people make a carrier that can hold supplies to clean the coach, hose, sponge, brush, cleaning supplies. Could possibly even mount a small tool box up there, provided it was weather tight.

I've also seen where people store a small step stool on top of the generator, but you have to have enough room an no obstructions for it to hit. I installed an auto start on my generator and I mounted the control module above the generator on the firewall and the wiring harness would probably impede my ability to do this.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

I built a lightweight wood framed box covered with wire mesh that is secured to this front of the gen compartment behind the front cap. I store extra sewer hose and sewer fittings there along with an extension cord. Anything that I didn't care if it got a little dirty. Held on by hose clamps to the frame of the gen mount, it's easily removed if needed.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #5

I had a light weight frame made for the front of my generator slide on my 03 Navigator with wire mesh floor for drainage. I store a dog fence, telescoping ladder (no ladder on coach) and the stand for our small Q grill. I don't think the weight is an issue as it is retracted when subjected to G loads. My advise if you build a rack measure a little extra room to make loading and unloading easy, if you measure with a micrometer you will have to load and unload with precision.
Garlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, storage