Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paula55 View Post
Hello everyone,
I just joined the site yesterday and already have learned quite a bit. I'm thinking about buying a motorhome and just keep going round and round with whether I should or not. I'm a divorced 56 year old female and know nothing about engine mechanics. I have 2 dogs and a cat and would love to travel but it is so expensive to have someone take care of the animals I thought if I bought a motorhome I could take them with me.
I'm just wondering if I'm being unrealistic about traveling alone in a motorhome. All of the posts I seem to see are always couples where the man always seems to be able to do a lot of the work on the motorhome. I worry that it will be so expensive for me to always have to have a mechanic do the work that it will become unaffordable.
I also didn't know whether to buy a gas or a diesel. Which is more practical for someone like myself. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Paula

Don't have a signature as I don't have a motorhome yet.
Paula: Look here at this link. Although you aren't at the age some of these wonderful women are, you can still really enjoy traveling in your OWN home on wheels, with your babies, and don't have to worry about infringing on other's homes with your kids. The primary reason I bought mine was to take my "kids" with me so I wouldn't get so homesick and could save all the money in flights, rental cars, etc. It costs me less to travel in the MH than it does to have the sitter come in, rental cars, flights, etc. The only sacrifice is time, it does take more time.

Enjoy this video! I sure did!

Older women escape winter winds in RVs - Yahoo!

Also, don't be afraid of anything on the coach. With a good Coach Net policy and regular maintenance, you should have no problems. I realize that sounds simplistic, but I was scared of maintenance too when I first bought mine. It's all about knowledge and learning, and this forum has answered almost every question I've ever had on the MH. So don't be afraid, and also, for simplicity, I would advise a gas MH as diesels are more maintenance intensive, a little more expensive as well. Start out in a gas then move up to a diesel if you like later.

Kent
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Paula: Look here at this link. Although you aren't at the age some of these wonderful women are, you can still really enjoy traveling in your OWN home on wheels, with your babies, and don't have to worry about infringing on other's homes with your kids. The primary reason I bought mine was to take my "kids" with me so I wouldn't get so homesick and could save all the money in flights, rental cars, etc. It costs me less to travel in the MH than it does to have the sitter come in, rental cars, flights, etc. The only sacrifice is time, it does take more time.

Enjoy this video! I sure did!

Older women escape winter winds in RVs - Yahoo!

Also, don't be afraid of anything on the coach. With a good Coach Net policy and regular maintenance, you should have no problems. I realize that sounds simplistic, but I was scared of maintenance too when I first bought mine. It's all about knowledge and learning, and this forum has answered almost every question I've ever had on the MH. So don't be afraid, and also, for simplicity, I would advise a gas MH as diesels are more maintenance intensive, a little more expensive as well. Start out in a gas then move up to a diesel if you like later.

Kent
I see I am a little behind on that prior post, but still relevant. How exciting to be able to travel with your Mother! Enjoy every moment!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula55
Hello everyone,
I just joined the site yesterday and already have learned quite a bit. I'm thinking about buying a motorhome and just keep going round and round with whether I should or not. I'm a divorced 56 year old female and know nothing about engine mechanics. I have 2 dogs and a cat and would love to travel but it is so expensive to have someone take care of the animals I thought if I bought a motorhome I could take them with me.
I'm just wondering if I'm being unrealistic about traveling alone in a motorhome. All of the posts I seem to see are always couples where the man always seems to be able to do a lot of the work on the motorhome. I worry that it will be so expensive for me to always have to have a mechanic do the work that it will become unaffordable.
I also didn't know whether to buy a gas or a diesel. Which is more practical for someone like myself. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Paula

Hey Paula! Welcome!
I am also a divorced 56 year old female and I own a 36ft Winnebago diesel pusher with 2 slides and I tow a jeep grand Cherokee. I wouldn't drive anything else! I say go for it, I
I have had mine and been traveling in it since 2007. I have it serviced at speedco yearly and have only had 1 mechanical issue(knock on wood) which I took to the freight liner dealer and was back on the road the next day. All other issues have been little things that happen with any Rv be it gas or diesel Class A,b or C.
I also took my 80 year old mother with me on several trips until she passed last year. Get one with a floor plan that will give you both ample room! Especially if you plan to spend a lot of time in it!
Go For It!!!!!
Teri
Old 02-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsjao View Post
Hey Paula! Welcome!
I am also a divorced 56 year old female and I own a 36ft Winnebago diesel pusher with 2 slides and I tow a jeep grand Cherokee. I wouldn't drive anything else! I say go for it, I
I have had mine and been traveling in it since 2007. I have it serviced at speedco yearly and have only had 1 mechanical issue(knock on wood) which I took to the freight liner dealer and was back on the road the next day. All other issues have been little things that happen with any Rv be it gas or diesel Class A,b or C.
I also took my 80 year old mother with me on several trips until she passed last year. Get one with a floor plan that will give you both ample room! Especially if you plan to spend a lot of time in it!
Go For It!!!!!
Teri
Old 02-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well when it comes to engines.. There is some basic stuff (Checking oil and the like) you should either be able to do or can quickly learn.. Perhaps a fellow traveller can show you how (it is easy) the key thing is to get a good rig.. Major issues with engines (i have done everything from minor repairs to major overhauls) should be left to professionals. Today's engines, I'm inclined to leave it to the pro's.

You should learn battery maintenance and basic screw tightening, I say that because many RVers have a few screws loose,, It's the most common electrical problem with Motor homes (loose screws) and knowing basic screw (and bolt) tightening fixes most of those problems.

If you buy a USED rig, make sure the park-cable input is properly connected.. And whatever you buy make sure you get a good "Walk through" Showing you EVERYTHING including how to check the oil and where the circuit breakers and fuses are (I got surprised by one fuse box,, Thankfully i found it before I needed to know where it was) and so on.. Read the forums for hints on routine tings like dumping and if they give you a bottle of waste tank treatment with Formaldehyde in it... Give it back.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #34

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to thank you all for your wonderful responses and encouragement. I ended up buying a 1996 Newmar Kountry Star DP with 61k miles on it. It was a bit longer than I had intended on buying originally, it's 38'6" but when I drove it I found that the length wasn't a problem. It really didn't feel any different than when I drove a 35 footer and the diesel was so much nicer than the gas ones that I drove. It also included a Suzuki Sidekick with the tow bar and everything. I was very impressed with the quality of the interior and it even has a washer and dryer. Who could ask for more. It was the floor plan we were looking for and there's plenty of room for everyone. I stuck to my price range and couldn't believe I got such a nice coach for the price. I know it's an older coach but it looked like it had been very well maintained. The previous owners added many nice upgrades. Now I have to study all of the systems so I know what on earth I got and how to use it. My mom can't wait to hit the road.
paula55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #35

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to thank you all for your wonderful responses and encouragement. I ended up buying a 1996 Newmar Kountry Star DP with 61k miles on it. It was a bit longer than I had intended on buying originally, it's 38'6" but when I drove it I found that the length wasn't a problem. It really didn't feel any different than when I drove a 35 footer and the diesel was so much nicer than the gas ones that I drove. It also included a Suzuki Sidekick with the tow bar and everything. I was very impressed with the quality of the interior and it even has a washer and dryer. Who could ask for more. It was the floor plan we were looking for and there's plenty of room for everyone. I stuck to my price range and couldn't believe I got such a nice coach for the price. I know it's an older coach but it looked like it had been very well maintained. The previous owners added many nice upgrades. Now I have to study all of the systems so I know what on earth I got and how to use it. My mom can't wait to hit the road.
WAY TO GO PAULA!! CONGRATULATIONS AND ENJOY!!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello Paula, Welcome to iRV2. Seems like you have gotten alot of sound advice so far, so I won't add anything, other than to wish you the best of luck and many years of happy camping.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #37

Congrats Paula! That is way cool that you jumped right in. Good luck with the Newmar, they make a damn good rig. Stay in touch as your adventures unfold. When time permits, always try to travel the two lane to fully experience this beautiful country of ours.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
RVing Women

Hi, Paula,

I highly recommend the RVing Women orginization (www.rvingwomen.org). If you can, why not rent a small Class C or B and attend one of their rallies? You will have a chance to sit down with women who are experienced in this lifestyle and hear directly from them. They have chapters and rallies in many areas - see the website for details.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #39

Love all the advice

Thanks again everyone. I loved the Older Women Escape Winter Winds in RV's, I am joining rvingwomen.org and we always travel the two lane when we can. I totally agree it's the best way to see the country, you never know where it will lead and what adventures await. By the way can anyone give me advice on what RVing guides to buy? Although we're not big on making reservations in advance it seems that this isn't the type of travel where we can always fly by the seat of our pants or am I mistaken on that.
paula55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #40

If you are traveling to popular RV destinations, state/ fed parks, special events you would be well served to make your reservations in advance. otherwize you may be supprized at the cost or lack of aval sites. Nothing like getting somewhere after dark, tired, with a large RV and no where to put it. As to the travel time on the road we stay in rest areas, flying J, and so on (stop at 8-9 pm gone at 8am), but doing that one must be aware of the safety issues as they are not camp grounds. there are any number of publications out there as well as discount clubs, Good Sam, Passport America, FMCA, as well as state campgroung directories, and the internet. In short unless you are very adventurious you will enjoy your RVing more with advance reservations, and you can always adjust them to suit you most of the time.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #41

Paula, I would highly recommend the web site I mentioned in an earlier post to scout out potential campgrounds; RV Park Reviews :: Home. I guess Woodalls is sorta the bench mark for campground directories as well as Good Sam club directories. Unless you are in a real high tourist area such as national parks in July etc., there is always going to be a CG with space for you. The directories help with phone numbers and location. However, it you will be traveling with a computer with an air card, or smart phone with internet access, the directories become less of a need. One additional point, when my DW an I take longer trips in our RV we will use a GPS program on our laptop. Very handy with P.O.I., points of interest for the area you are in. This includes campgrounds and rest stops that we have found to be very accurate, in some cases being within 50 feet of where to turn into a campground. Just options to consider, Happy Travels, especially with mom!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Smile

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Paula

There is a section of this forum called "Solo RVers" and you'll find lots of other solo women posting over there.

I am a 36 single female, with 11 cats and a bird, living in a 22' 1975 Class C (see avatar for pic). I've no problems traveling alone, except sometimes I do get wicked lonely (I wasn't always single, and I miss him terribly so).

We lost our house to a flood in 2006. At the time, in addition to the cats, there were also 2 dogs and 3 birds. I couldn't get an apartment or stay at a shelter, due to the pets and these were pets I had had since childhood (one cat was at age 23, two cats at age 15 and one dog at age 16) in addition to being all that remained of my family. I refused to give them up, and ended up spending 6 years living on a relative's empty lot. The pets lived in their shed/barn while I lived in a tent on warm dry days and in my Volvo on cold wet days. It took me 6 years to save up enough money to buy a motorhome. (I have Autism and my ability to work is limited, thus few will hire me.) It was because of the pets that I chose to get a motorhome instead of move into an apartment. It was very hard to do and some days it seemed hopeless, but me and my remaining pets (the eldest ones have passed on) are still together, and now we are together in a house of our own again. Granted it's a tiny 22' house on wheels, but it is a house none the less.

I too know nothing of engine mechanics. I hope to be able to teach myself to work on it, so I went out and bought a repair manual and have been studying it. So far I've been able to do minor things (changing bulbs and wipers, stopping squeaky cabinets, etc) and have had to had a mechanic do the bigger stuff (at $75 per hour plus cost of parts). Thankfully my motorhome has been well taken care of and well maintained, thus not much really needs to be done to her. Gas is where most of the money goes: $91 to fill the tank 2 days ago. Personally I prefer gas, but I know most RVers recommend diesel. I suppose it depends on how much and how far you plan to travel.

My advice? Follow your dreams. It's better to do what you want to do, than not do and look back years later saying "I wish I had..."
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome