Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #1

Thinking about the blueox trucenter. Some questions

After seeing a couple of MH crashes over just the past 2 weeks it's got me interested in buying a steering stabilizer.

I already have a trac bar and my bounder handles pretty well, but with cross winds and towing the jeep and all that I feel like it's a necessary safety precaution.

Anyway no one in my immediate area seems to install these steering stabilizers so I had some questions

1) The trucenter seems to have an easy adjustment, but do you have to do that often? If so doesn't that make it more dangerous if you are off center?

In otherwords does it make it even harder to drive with cross winds if you don't have a safe place to pull off and adjust it immediately?

2) Is it easy enough to install? I have a guy who installed my trac bar without any issues. This just seems like it carries a little more danger if you don't install it perfectly or am I being overly cautious?

3) Do you just need 1? I haven't seen exactly how it installs. I found the trucenter and the bracket on amazon for $1023 total. Is that all I need?

Thanks for the help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonrv View Post
After seeing a couple of MH crashes over just the past 2 weeks it's got me interested in buying a steering stabilizer.

I already have a trac bar and my bounder handles pretty well, but with cross winds and towing the jeep and all that I feel like it's a necessary safety precaution.

Anyway no one in my immediate area seems to install these steering stabilizers so I had some questions

1) The trucenter seems to have an easy adjustment, but do you have to do that often? If so doesn't that make it more dangerous if you are off center?

In otherwords does it make it even harder to drive with cross winds if you don't have a safe place to pull off and adjust it immediately?

2) Is it easy enough to install? I have a guy who installed my trac bar without any issues. This just seems like it carries a little more danger if you don't install it perfectly or am I being overly cautious?

3) Do you just need 1? I haven't seen exactly how it installs. I found the trucenter and the bracket on amazon for $1023 total. Is that all I need?

Thanks for the help
I own a Tru-Center on my 1993 Blue Bird Wanderlodge.
Thus far I have had no problems with it.

1) You do not have to pull over to adjust the device.
I just got back from Ohio and Iowa and had to adjust a few times due to wind and slope of the road.
All you do is hold the steering wheel heading straight down the road, push the button, let go of the button and you are now set.
It really is that easy.

2) I had mine installed as I do not want to crawl under my 47,000 lb Bird.

3) Yes, 1 is all you need. There are videos on installation and operation on the Blue Ox site.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a mobile RV technician install mine however the job is easy **IF** you have the tools (At the time I was a tool or two short).

I have done a reinstall when the first one failed..HOWEVR the wrenches I do not have for the install I did not need for the re-install.. Plus I have better tools now.

It is fairly easy to set up.. There are videos if you want to do your own install...

As to re-centering adjustment (PUSH THE BUTTON)

Instructions say not to do that in motion... I will explain why.
Also DO NOT SIT ON IT.. Again I will explain why.

I find I may hit that button 2 or 3 times a year.. I full time.. it does not require re-adjustment unless

You are on a "high dome" road (Such a road will try to make you vear to the right) or other slanted road

You have a constant side wind (this is the most likely cause of re-adjust)

Tire pressure has been adjusted or corrected

Mechanical fault in drive train or front suspension. GET YE TO A SHOP.

Why not push when in motion?
Ever see a TV show or movie where an airplane on auto-pilot has a pilot and flight crew disabled so a novice piolt has to be talked through the landing.. Notice how when they disconnect the auto pilot he dang near looses it....... BELIEVE IT First time I pressed the button in motion... I thought I was in one of those movies.

Why should you not sit on it (NOTE: On mine it would not matter) The early units, including my original, if you sat on the button (Held it down for too long) the solenoid that does the magic would burn out and the unit thus failed.

I was visiting Pender, NE (The Factory) and had a chat about that with one of their sales reps... I made a suggestion.

When mine failed (Different mode) and had to be replaced the new one came with a neat little time out timer..Which I installed.

If you sit on the button....It times out and shuts off as though you'd released it..Very handy.

But do not count on your installer remembering the timer.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #4

Easy to install. Works as advertised. Push the button anytime to adjust for change in road or wind conditions. When in motion is the only time to press the button for a steering correction. That's the way it works. I had one on two different coaches and they both worked well. I would not have a solid front axle motor home again unless it had a Tru-Center.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Easy to install. Works as advertised. Push the button anytime to adjust for change in road or wind conditions. When in motion is the only time to press the button for a steering correction. That's the way it works. I had one on two different coaches and they both worked well. I would not have a solid front axle motor home again unless it had a Tru-Center.
This is correct, I have one on my 2012 357QS and it works great especially for windy conditions.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well worth the cost, I couldn't believe the difference, most of the time I don't even know if its windy. Its a easy install I did mine without a problem.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #7

Awesome thanks for the replies. The guy that installed my trac bar can do this (with my help) I'll make sure and remind him of the timer
Old 05-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I had a mobile RV technician install mine however the job is easy **IF** you have the tools (At the time I was a tool or two short).

I have done a reinstall when the first one failed..HOWEVR the wrenches I do not have for the install I did not need for the re-install.. Plus I have better tools now.

It is fairly easy to set up.. There are videos if you want to do your own install...

As to re-centering adjustment (PUSH THE BUTTON)

Instructions say not to do that in motion... I will explain why.
Also DO NOT SIT ON IT.. Again I will explain why.

I find I may hit that button 2 or 3 times a year.. I full time.. it does not require re-adjustment unless

You are on a "high dome" road (Such a road will try to make you vear to the right) or other slanted road

You have a constant side wind (this is the most likely cause of re-adjust)

Tire pressure has been adjusted or corrected

Mechanical fault in drive train or front suspension. GET YE TO A SHOP.

Why not push when in motion?
Ever see a TV show or movie where an airplane on auto-pilot has a pilot and flight crew disabled so a novice piolt has to be talked through the landing.. Notice how when they disconnect the auto pilot he dang near looses it....... BELIEVE IT First time I pressed the button in motion... I thought I was in one of those movies.

Why should you not sit on it (NOTE: On mine it would not matter) The early units, including my original, if you sat on the button (Held it down for too long) the solenoid that does the magic would burn out and the unit thus failed.

I was visiting Pender, NE (The Factory) and had a chat about that with one of their sales reps... I made a suggestion.

When mine failed (Different mode) and had to be replaced the new one came with a neat little time out timer..Which I installed.

If you sit on the button....It times out and shuts off as though you'd released it..Very handy.

But do not count on your installer remembering the timer.

I was looking at purchasing one until I read your post or maybe I'm just not thinking right. Are you saying that you can't adjust it while driving down the road? Just for a what if. If it's windy and need to steer a little left can I push the button to correct or do you need to pull over and adjust?
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I was looking at purchasing one until I read your post or maybe I'm just not thinking right. Are you saying that you can't adjust it while driving down the road? Just for a what if. If it's windy and need to steer a little left can I push the button to correct or do you need to pull over and adjust?
that's what is so nice about it.. adjust on the fly. I do not pull over to adjust and would not have bought it if that were the case.
wstrace3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrace3 View Post
that's what is so nice about it.. adjust on the fly. I do not pull over to adjust and would not have bought it if that were the case.
Me too....I adjust it on the fly when needed. Works great. Sometimes only need to push the button for a second or less for small adjustments. Drove from Michigan to Florida and back. Adjusted it about 4 times. Awesome device.

2017 Coachmen Cross Country 407FW
rcarpe06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post

Your comment makes me want to ask about Tru center for independent front suspension.....good or won't work?
Old 05-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Your comment makes me want to ask about Tru center for independent front suspension.....good or won't work?
I hear rave reviews for solid and ifs here is a fitment chart for bracket and the true center
Blue Ox TC35270 Tru Center Steering Stabilizer
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:36 PM   #13

Saw the TC35270 2 days ago on etrailer for $849 + bracket at near $90, free shipping. That is all you need. U will need an impact wrench to make the job easy and the mechanical installation is easy. There is electrical that requires a hot wire when ignition on and that takes time plus getting through the firewall. I put a rocker switch (replacing the stock button switch) on mine in an open switch spot to my left, so that I had easy access if adjustment is needed.
It is adjusted while moving, but not often. If you have a pulling road crown, just steer to keep coach straight and touch the button, and it will hold U straight. It makes a positive difference.
David White '05 Windsor
Old 05-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #14

This video does a nice job of explaining how it works, they start talking about the TruCenter at the 4 minute mark.