Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thinking of buying a 2003 Alfa See 'Ya motorhome

We're thinking of purchasing a 2003 Alfa 36' See 'Ya motorhome with a 330 Cat engine and an Allison transmission. Has anybody heard any horror stories about Alfa's or any great stories about them?

Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
I looked at them, up to the Gold. Didn't see anything that made me want to buy one. Seemed like they cut a lot of corners to meet a price point. Pull out a few drawers and look at the cabinet construction. Small underbody storage doors limit what you can put in them too.

But they did have some nice features just that the execution lacked what we wanted.

The CAT/Allison combo is good for that weight coach.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Master of Disaster

Skin delamination is the big horror story of Alfas suffered by many of them. There's a pretty active Yahoo! group for Alfa See-Ya owners that has more details. We liked the light and airy feeling of the Alfa, but the concerns of skin delamination and concerns about cooling under hot conditions (since Alfa's vent their a/c up from the floor rather than down from the roof like Winnebagos with basement air).

But at the right pricepoint, if the skin is currently good, it might be worth the roll of the dice.

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
Have friends that had one, leaked like a sieve
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Is this the one on Ebay from KK? If so, PM me and I can fill you in on some things.
ffspread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
Eliminated them from my search when I bought by coach 2 years ago simply because of the overwhelming bias of this and other similiar forums against them. Don't know if the bias is accurate or not, but I wasn't willing to take a chance to prove them wrong!
2003 HR Imperial PKDD 40
bgholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out the Cat Engine forum, eslewhere on this site...it too is informative...
Back to a 5'er after 4 yrs fulltime.
Pulling with a '14 2500 ram, 6.4 Hemi.
Montana High Country 31RE
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
2003 Alfa SeeYa

We just bought a 2005 Alfa SeeYa and love it. We lucked out and we didn't. The owner before us took realy good care of it and we got all the maintenance records. The bad part is is that is is 7 years old and we have had to replace all 6 6volt house batterys and both chassis batteries. We are also in the process of replacing all 6 tires. This would all still be considered normal maintenance. If I can be presumptious and make a couple suggestions:

1. If you are buying if from a dealer, make him check the batteries and work out a deal to help pay for the batteries. For me to replace just the house batteries was over $800.00. chassis batteries was another $280.00.

2. Buy a Maintenance agreement. We have had our motor home for just a little over 2 months and we have already used it to replace the main slide motor. It will be worth every penny.

To get back to your original question, we love our Alfa and as of today would not trade it for anything. Also while I'm on the subject, Yahoo Forums has a discussion group of just Alfa owners. If so inclined, join it and see what others have to say.

05 Alfa SeeYa
Gary801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
We looked at an Alpha Gold before we bought our coach. It was a nice coach inside and had some really nice features. I did some research on them and found they had some bad delamination problems. I went over this coach and found it had some delam. happening and passed it by. Check it over carefully. Good luck.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:17 AM   #10
I was laughing when I first started reading this thread, but I guess the laugh's on me ... I just couldn't believe there was actually a brand called "See 'Ya" !!!
Kathryn . . . still lurking and learning!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
If I were you, I'd say "see ya" to that coach. Everyone I've talked to that is, or has owned one, said they'd "never buy one of these again"!!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Also, another consideration, is that Alfa is out of business.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
I have only met One Couple who have one and They Love Their's!
That said everyone else that I have talked to says that They are Junk with major problems from Delamination to Leaks and Electrical and plumbing nightmares.
Like I said I only know one Owner Who Loves it!
RobRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
Got a neighbor who bought a used one (40' "see ya"...) a few months back. First RV; thought they were getting a great deal because Alfa's are so cheap. So far, it's been in the shop as much as in their barn, and has cost them a lot of money. Looks good on the surface though, and that's what so many people base their purchases on... I don't think they have been able to go on a single long trip yet.

2012 Montana 3582RL
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote