Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #1

Thinking of buying a Class A without a slide

Hello all,

Looking to buy my first Class A (actually first RV) for my family (wife and two kids). I have been thinkng about getting a Class A without a slide as I figured it's one less thing to worry about. I have never owned an RV and not sure what goes into maintaining one and looking to learn as much as I can.

I have heard it's very difficult to sell an RV without a slide, so I figured I should be able to get one at a good price. I'm interested in a 2002 Rexhall 31' Rose Air, Ford gas powered with approx 35k miles, does not have a slide and looks to be in decent shape (based on pics). What do you think is a fair price for this RV.

Ad Description: VERY CLEAN 2 OWNER ROSE AIR BY REXHALL ON FORD CHASSIS-ALWAYS STORED INSIDE WHEN NOT IN USE-VIPER ALARM SYSTEM-TINTED THERMAL PANE WINDOWS-LEATHER FLEXSTEEL DRIVER AND PASSENGER SEAT (POWERED)-BACK UP CAMERA-NEW 26 inch LCD TV-ANTENNA CONVERTED TO DIGITAL-WINEGUARD DOME SET UP FOR DIRECT TV-CB RADIO-PULL DOWN SUNSHADES IN COCKPIT-GE CONVECTION MICROWAVE-UNDERCOUNTER 12 CUP MAKER-DEEP DOUBLE SINK WITH MOEN FAUCET-FILTERED DRINKING WATER FAUCET-DUAL HEAT AND AIR WITH CEILING DUCTS-10 GALLON WATER HEATER-SUBURBAN FURNACE-NORCOLD 8 CUBIC FOOT FRIDGE WITH ICE MAKER-4 BURNER MAGIC CHEF STOVE-HWH 210 SERIES LEVELING SYSTEM WITH JOYSTICK CONTROL--3 STEP ELECTRIC ENTRANCE-FIRESTONE RIDE COMPRESSOR SPRINGS-FULL SIZE SLEEPER SOFA-BEIGE UPHOLSTERY AND CARPET-14 OVERHEAD COMPARTMENTS-DOUBLE DOOR CLOSET-19 UNDER COUNTERSEAT AND BED STORAGE COMPARTMENTS-3 DOOR PANTRY STORAGE-ADDITIONAL LIGHTING ADDED THRUOUT-PREMIUM CLOTH COVERED VALANCES-DAY/NITE PULL DOWN SHADES ON WINDOWS-TILE FLOOR IN KITCHEN AND BATH-FULL SIZE SHOWER,LARGE VANITY AND OVERHEAD CABINET WITH DOOR THAT OPENS TO HALLWAY FOR FULL SIZE BATH-QUEEN SIZE BED WITH DELUXE COMFORTOR-BEVELED FULL GLASS MIRRORS-EXTRA LARGE WATER TANK UNDER QUEEN BED-
agc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I would look for a coach with a slide, very few problems with them. I would buy a coach that was build by a major manufacturer still in business. I have not seen Rexhall in years. IMHO.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
With you, momma and two curtain climbers I would be thinking at least two slides. No slide units can get very cozy after a couple of days.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #4

Have to agree with both post - major manufacturer still in biz and at least one if not 2 slides.
Steve1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #5

We have a friend that bought a class A without any slides. They are regretting it now. Our first coach was 35 ft with 3 slides. Now have a 41 ft with 4 slides. For us we would never consider a coach without slides. Never had any problems with any of them. The extra room is invaluable.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
1. Stable company
2. Minimum of 1 slide. 2 is pretty much the norm now.
3. Good luck!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
I would look for a coach with a slide, very few problems with them.
I am not sure how much experience you have with RVs, but mine has been that slides are the most problematic thing on an RV....alignment, drive mechanism and leaks.

I prefer no slide, but for livability, slides are really nice. Stick with a high end builder that uses a heavy frame.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #8

Hi,

I'm on the side of no sides especially if you will only be using the mh for an occasional weekend, a short trip here and there, tailgating, etc. Less things to deal with, less opportunity for water intrusion. Slides have their benefits, I just don't have the need.

I would suggest you take a good look at a class C with BOTH the bed over the cab and a bedroom for you and the wife, or one with bunk beds. You don't want to be making up beds each night for the kids.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #9

I would recommend a slide however it has to be affordable for you. I would not recommend going into great debt to get two or more slides. Stay within your budget ...you will have a great time camping with or without slides.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Pass on a no slide Motorhome. They're cheaper because nobody else wants them either. Someday, sooner than you anticipate, you'll be trading/selling it and it will be much harder to get rid of. And, stay away from orphaned brands... Same reason. There's plenty of 10-12 yr old coaches under $20-25k available to choose from... I might be thinking $15k for this one good condition orphan and no slides. Happy hunting.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
Community Moderator

You can save A LOT buying a coach without slides, and trouble free on that for the life of the coach. Due to no sliding mechanism the total weight would be much less, obviously the gas mileage would be improved. Mine has one, but last year when my coach was in a body shop for a whole body paint we couldn't get the slide out... bummer! finally we got it out... That could happen at camping sites too.

of course, with slides it will be bigger inside when you stay in one place for more than couple days. whichever works for you...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #12

We too are in the no slide camp. Simpler, more storage, inside and below, no leaks, rattles, nothing to go wrong when it might not close, easier to heat and cool. Of course less carpet space as well. Have you taken the gang shopping and spent an hour inside one all together? Floor plan is going to be way more important after a quick walk thru.

Seems the bigger the inside, the less time people spend outside. Look and think about are you going camping to sit inside and watch TV? See lots of RV's, pull in, plug in, close the curtains, and only see the owners if they walk the dogs. See the tent and pop up crowd, all out side, enjoying what nature provides them, who is having more fun?

Good luck, and enjoy what ever you find works.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will want the slides. More room is better.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I am not sure how much experience you have with RVs, but mine has been that slides are the most problematic thing on an RV....alignment, drive mechanism and leaks.

I prefer no slide, but for livability, slides are really nice. Stick with a high end builder that uses a heavy frame.

Ken
TX - I have motorhome for over 30 years.... I have had slides for the the last 14 years. RV with a group that all have slides since the mid - 90's. Problemless, NO but only a few minor issues here and there.

But Folks have had other small issues also...... Tires , jacks, Brakes, ignition, REFRIGERATORS... MANY, Carpet, TV's etc. etc.

CC
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, rexhall, slide