Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club

2009 Dutch Aire 4317
montiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #16
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
Our first MH was a no slider very inexpensive to buy, but too tight for Grandma and Grandpa and two grand kids. Our current coach is a1 slider living room and we love it.

Ed & Sharon Ward ,Virginia Beach, Va.
2000 National RV, 37' Tradewinds
3126 Cat 300hp Allison 6spd Fl xc chassis
Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #17
I just was in the same dilemma as you (bought one last week), slide or no slide due to cost. Having two kids I do not regret a minute choosing a slide even though it might in the future have more issues. It get very "kozy" in a hurry and if you spend any time in it, it's worth it. Great point on re-sale value as well.
ozzy Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #18
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
I would look for a coach with a slide, very few problems with them. I would buy a coach that was build by a major manufacturer still in business. I have not seen Rexhall in years. IMHO.
They are still in business

Home - Rexhall Industries Manufacturer of Class A Motorhomes - Aerbus, RexAir, RoseAir, American Clipper & Vision • 800.765.7500 • 661.726.0565

2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #19

We had a 25 foot Fleetwood Storm class A with no slides for over 10 years. Yep just 25 feet. Before that, a 23 foot class C, and a popup before that, and tents before that.

We did great and had 2 grandkids (earlier it was our 2 kids) with us often. But, hey, we were outside most of the time.

If it is cheap and you get a PDI expert to go over it and say "okie dokie" or tell you what the issues are, you have nothing to lose. You need that first rig and slides do not matter right now. Besides, if this 02 had slides, your chances for issues may be high.

Class A rigs are not made without slides today, as far as I know. But that is a supply and demand issue on new rigs. If it works out for you, please provide a new post with pics, okay?

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #20
Are there any manufacturers making motorhomes without slides nowadays? None that I have seen. Why is that? Because people want the slides and the extra space that slides provide. Can there be issues. Of course. There can be issues with a 100 different systems within any MH. With 2 rug rats running around in the coach, I would want 2 full wall slides and then slides within those slides.

I had a gas coach for 8 years with 3 slides and only one minor issue with one slide in all those years. NEVER would I own a MH without slides.
2006 Travel Supreme Select 45DL24
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 35" tires, 4" lift
jeeprubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #21
Nada Guides can give you a ballpark figure to negotiate from.
2002 Rexhall Aerbus Series M-XL2900FB Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #22
Ford Super Duty Owner
If budgetary concerns dictate that you must buy a MH with no slides or not buy one at all, I would say you should buy that MH. The lifestyle is just FUN! Your kids will cherish the memories for the rest of their lives.
As far as Rexhall in general is concerned, as you see in my signature, our MH is a Rexhall. This is our third MH and our current Rexhall is the best MH we have owned to date, the first two being a Fleetwood Flair and an Allegro. Our Flair had no slides, our Allegro had one living room slide and our Rexhall has two slides. We loved them all. Good luck and safe travels.
2000 Rexhall Aerbus F53 Ford Chassis
Cheap Handling Fix, Five Star Tune
2005 Chevy Colorado Toad
Kevin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #23
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by agc23 View Post
... I have been thinkng about getting a Class A without a slide as I figured it's one less thing to worry about. I have never owned an RV and not sure what goes into maintaining one and looking to learn as much as I can. ...
First of all, Welcome!! I know your family will love the RV, and you won't at all regret embarking into this world!

Whatever coach you buy will be new, novel, and wonderful for the first excursion or two . With one or two slides you'll all marvel at how roomy and grand it all feels. With no slides you'll revel in the coziness, warmth, and family closeness.

Its after the novelty wears off that reality will form your permanent response. There's a good chance that "too big" will not last very long at all, but "too small" will last as long as you own the coach.

Good Luck!!
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #24
We purchased our first Motorhome about a year ago, it is a 35 ft 1999 Rexhall Aerbus with no slide. It is just my husband and myself with our 2 small dogs and an occasional grandchild. We are really enjoying it and havent really missed the slide. We had 5th wheels with slides prior to purchasing this coach so we have had both. This is a great coach and we havent had any problems. Enjoy whatever you purchase, I am sure your whole family will have a wonderful time
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #25

My rigs were "too small" by all of today's popular standards for over 60 years, from pup tent on up.

But to us they were the greatest forts ever. My first fort was blankets over kitchen chairs.

You will be just fine without slides! You will be outside getting worn out with your kids, and then all of you will sleep like babies until it is time for the campstove or campfire for breakfast.

You can get slides when you NEED slides. Now, you need to get your family out there!
Dave and Nola, RVM1

Old 03-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #26
Agc23 Rexall is a Los Angeles company that has built quite a few motorhomes. Last I heard they were still in business. The best way to figure out the approx fair market value of an RV is to use the NADA free web site. Then check the solds on eBay. I see lots of Rose Aires in the Southern Ca. area. My guess is that they are a good motorhome.

Many people have indicated their preference for slides. Your thinking is correct in that you can get good deals on coaches without them and they have fewer problems. In my experience slides do have repair issues.

Even if Rexall is not currently making coaches I would not worry about that. Lots of coach makers closed and getting them fixed is normally not hard. I had a very old coach for a number of years and had zero problems getting parts.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #27
Freightliner Owners Club
Just remember when you drive away value will be about $0.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #28

Let us know how little you spent.
They ALL depreciate. You are less vulnerable than most. :-)

Dave and Nola, RVM1

class a, rexhall, slide