Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #29

we have had both, my wife loves them, I hate them. we are weekend summer campers and where we camp there is no place that is close to parking lot level. so I have to spend tons of time getting the motorhome level enough to put the stupid things out. I always tell my wife we are going to only be there for 2 days and I spend half of one getting the dang things out. luckily this years coach doesn't have any so i'll have more time to enjoy my weekend. sure by next year the little woman will be crying for another one with slides the room is nice but if your only using it on the weekends the hassle to me just isn't worth it.

as for resale, I've never had any problem selling any of ours without slides.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #30

I think it depends on how you want to use it. The more time you spend inside, the more valuable the space becomes. My main priorities for my very low budget were towing performance and driving comfort. Once I get where I'm going, I don't sit in my RV. If it had slides I don't think I would have opened them yet. When I can afford it I will get a quad slide 45 footer. Until then, I am very happy without the slides. Just be patient and do NOT overpay and you should be fine with whatever rig you decide on.

94 CC Affinity
Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #31

This forum is amazing, thanks all for your input. I agree that the memories that you’ll have in an RV lifestyle is priceless especially for the kids.

Our plan is to use the RV for camping trips (state parks), planning on a trip to Yellowstone (we live in NJ), we do an annual trip to FL to visit my in-laws and Disney. Last year we went to Nova Scotia in my wife’s SUV and it was a great trip, but we were saying how much more comfortable we would have been if we were in an RV. We definitely would have save some money staying in RV parks for a nights.

We’re thinking of a smaller Class A (~30’) so that we can actually drive it around when on vacation as we didn’t want to tow a car behind (unless we had to). I know we can’t do that when visiting other cities, but figured it would be ok when travelling to places like Niagara Falls, Letchworth State Park, Howes/Luray Cavern, Williamsburg VA, Carolinas, etc. (you get the idea). Am I crazy to think I can drive a 30’ Class A around while on vacation..……

The other option is to get a Class C without the over the cab bunk (wife hates it), but I prefer a Class A because you’re higher up and can have a better view when driving.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Personally I would never buy a Class A without a slide, especially a 2002 model. An older model, probably. JMHO!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by agc23 View Post
This forum is amazing, thanks all for your input. I agree that the memories that you’ll have in an RV lifestyle is priceless especially for the kids.

Our plan is to use the RV for camping trips (state parks), planning on a trip to Yellowstone (we live in NJ), we do an annual trip to FL to visit my in-laws and Disney. Last year we went to Nova Scotia in my wife’s SUV and it was a great trip, but we were saying how much more comfortable we would have been if we were in an RV. We definitely would have save some money staying in RV parks for a nights.

We’re thinking of a smaller Class A (~30’) so that we can actually drive it around when on vacation as we didn’t want to tow a car behind (unless we had to). I know we can’t do that when visiting other cities, but figured it would be ok when travelling to places like Niagara Falls, Letchworth State Park, Howes/Luray Cavern, Williamsburg VA, Carolinas, etc. (you get the idea). Am I crazy to think I can drive a 30’ Class A around while on vacation..……

The other option is to get a Class C without the over the cab bunk (wife hates it), but I prefer a Class A because you’re higher up and can have a better view when driving.
You can drive a 30 footer around but there will be lots you will miss out on!

The beauty of having a toad is the ability to streach out your touring area. We often set up camp and will leave in the toad for sometimes day long touring. If we get back late, well that's ok, our bed is there waiting on us. We often see things that spark our interest and stop on a whim, not as easy if you have to figure out how or where to park a big rig.

If the expense of a toad is prohibitive right now, do like Campdaven said, just get out there, you'll figure out the small stuff later!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #34

Forgot to mention my budget, I'm looking to spend ~$25k. Since this is our first RV I didn't want to spend too much just in case we end up not liking it as much (I doubt it) and didn't want to loose too much when I sell
Old 03-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
We got our MH specifically because of the construction of it and because it has no slides. It's all in the floor plan as to how "crowded" it seems. Because of our layout we still have lots of room to move around, very rarely do we get in each others way. We also live in ours full time so if we were gonna be cramped it should have happened long before now. All of our friends and others that have been inside have all commented on how roomy it feels and all have commented that it feels like it has slides.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #36

You have a sound plan. But one day you will want a toad. Here is why:

Pack up and go to town and come back and set up again. Repeat.

While in town, find places to park your MH near where you are going. Good luck.

While shopping, wonder if your MH is being attacked by a wild herd of shopping carts.

When you get back to camp and just finish setting up, decide you want sushi with the chow mein.

Go to Maine and look for parking in a village you have waited 6 months to see and then realize the streets are only 1.75 times as wide as your MH.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
We also have 2 kids and our first mh had no slides and that's the first thing I wanted to change. It's certainly do-able but it will not give you a lot of room. Slides certainly can give problems but among the things that break on a mh (and that's something you should be ready for - if you buy an older motorhome, things to break fairly often), the slides are probably pretty reliable.

As far as getting a shorter coach to use as a vehicle, it's probably not really all that realistic. We did it for a few years and we'd try to use our bicycles as much as possible but having to break camp all the time because you want to drive somewhere gets old pretty quickly and a 30-32 foot long, 12 foot high, 7-8mpg motorhome still isn't exactly a very good vehicle to drive around the city in. My recommendation is to get something in the size you want to live in and make other arrangements for the vehicle (bikes, bus, tow a car, rent a car, etc).

As far as that coach, shop around but personally, for a 31' coach with no slides, I don't think it's worth more than even $10k. Also as with other older mhs, the value really depends on the condition.

Good luck,
Mike
Old 03-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2!
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #39

motorhomes from the 80's go for 10k...
Old 03-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #40

agc23 - We rented motorhomes for years and all of those except one had no slides. We had some really great times in those coaches. With less space inside you go see things and sit on the outside. We never had a tow car for any of these adventures. When we bought our first motorhome about 10 years ago it was 26' class A with no slides. We did not tow a car. We had many memorable adventures in that one too.

Some of our close RV friends still have very nice shorter class A's without slides. A couple of them Bounders. Simple class A or class C motorhomes with gas motors are great fun machines to do exactly as you have stated. Go to family adventures.

Rental is still a good option if you are not sure you want to spend the money. With kids class C's have very good layouts too. We once packed a 31' Fleetwood class C rental with one slide with 4 adults, 2 teenagers, 1 young child, 1 large dog. We had a wonderful trip camping at Lake Tahoe in a State Park, Eagle Lake in a commercial park, Yosemite in a National Park campsite. No tow car. The only problem with the trip is the motorhome did not have a rumble seat where we could have put the constantly complaining 16 year old.

What ever you decide have fun shopping.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #41

Only you know what your budget can afford. Our first three MHs did not have a slide and we got along ok with 1 or 2 grandchildren. But that was because we had nothing to compare it to. The next three had two slides and wow, what a difference. The last two have had four slides. I find it hard to believe we went so long without them. Slides are not essential to enjoying the MH lifestyle, but neither is air conditioning, power steering and power windows in a car, but who wouldn't want them?? Sooner or later, you will have slide outs. Maybe not now due to the budget, but someday and you will, and will wonder why you waited. I have never had a problem with any of the slides we have owned.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
we have had both, my wife loves them, I hate them. we are weekend summer campers and where we camp there is no place that is close to parking lot level. so I have to spend tons of time getting the motorhome level enough to put the stupid things out. I always tell my wife we are going to only be there for 2 days and I spend half of one getting the dang things out. luckily this years coach doesn't have any so i'll have more time to enjoy my weekend. sure by next year the little woman will be crying for another one with slides the room is nice but if your only using it on the weekends the hassle to me just isn't worth it.

as for resale, I've never had any problem selling any of ours without slides.
Leveling is for my refrigerator, not the slide. If I am level enough for the refrigerator, the slide is not a problem.

wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, rexhall, slide