Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No slides = Overdose of togetherness!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #44

I'm gonna put my opinion in here, it really depends on what kind if " camper " you are. With my rig I too did not want slides for simplicity and price too for that matter. But when I leave my house to go spend time with my wife and kids i want to be doing this bonding time OUTSIDE not just move our together time to a smaller house on wheels. Yes we are a bit cramped on rainy days but we survive. The kids are in the living room, DW read in the bedroom, and we still try to limit tv time to just before bed. Buy what you like and like most of us here have done, if you don't like it, sell it and buy another one. Good luck on your search and as an owner of a winni, you won't be disappointed.
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #45

I have 2 kiddos as well man and my wife and I bought a 93 HR 38' with no slides. Big mistake. We drove it from AK to TX and setting up the couch bed everynight and having to squeeze by it when it was set up made for an uncomfortable 30 days. Don't get me wrong we still had a blast but if I could do it again I would rethink my purchase.
Andy-
Androsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #46

American Coach Owners Club
[QUOTE=agc23;1984275]Hello all,

Looking to buy my first Class A (actually first RV) for my family (wife and two kids). I have been thinkng about getting a Class A without a slide as I figured it's one less thing to worry about. I have never owned an RV and not sure what goes into maintaining one and looking to learn as much as I can.

I have heard it's very difficult to sell an RV without a slide, so I figured I should be able to get one at a good price. I'm interested in a 2002 Rexhall 31' Rose Air, Ford gas powered with approx 35k miles, does not have a slide and looks to be in decent shape (based on pics). What do you think is a fair price for this RV.

Been there, done that, until we got our present one with a slide and will never go back again. Most likely will be the least of your worries, but would stay away from a huge full wall slide and will probably have to take a bashing for that as well from those who have never had a problem.
As for an Orphan brand, that's never been a problem IMO and there's not much on any coach that isn't someone else's product anyway.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by agc23 View Post
Hello all,

Looking to buy my first Class A (actually first RV) for my family (wife and two kids). I have been thinkng about getting a Class A without a slide as I figured it's one less thing to worry about. I have never owned an RV and not sure what goes into maintaining one and looking to learn as much as I can.
I'd just like to echo the recommendation to RENT an RV for a family vacation before you buy anything. We rented RVs several times for family vacations and we had so much fun without any ownership responsibilities. Once you have made a trip or two, you will know much better which features you want and need in an RV.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #48

First you and your wife if you have not already, should go check out a few with and without a slide. Walk around inside one with the slide out. That convinced me to get a slide. With a slide it's like a little condo, without it's a camper. If your like most of use you will start replacing things upgrading, buying tires, and so on. Best to do that to one you want to keep, and not do it twice. Most likely would not get the money out of it you put in. Good luck.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #49

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We owned a 27 foot 2000 Rexhall without slides. They are a great MH. But as the DW and I got bigger and our son got bigger traded it in for slides and bunk beds. Couldn't be happier with the choice we made. Don't worry about resale because it didn't take the dealership 2 weeks to sell my old one that I traded. Actually many dealerships are looking for these because people are downsizing a because of fuel.
So go with what you are comfortable with and can afford. We also don't have a toad. I figure for the few times that we actually needed one we could always rent a car for a couple of days instead of dragging one around. JMO

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
What it all boils down to is what you want and will be happy with. Just because Bill, George and who ever else says you have to have slides....well it is your life and your RV, so get what suits your style.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:07 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
RVing is a lifestyle, not an investment. You will never save money RVing, but it will feel that way temporarily if you find a $20 COE park or a free Walmart for the nite. We've all made those calculations to justify our purchase, but soon realize we have an RV because we enjoy the freedom it offers to see the country. I just this week heard from our dealer that 55% of their first time buyers trade within 18 months. Newbies just don't know what they want until they've lived with it awhile. We've all been thru this, and had the same thoughts as you. This is not your forever coach. Buy wisely, and realize that it is a temporary purchase. If you end up enjoying the same coach for years and years then you will have been wiser than most of us!! Enjoy the ride.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:04 AM   #52

I have owned 5 motorhomes and only one with slides. If you have the right floor plan no slides is fine. In fact my next coach will be a non slide coach. You are always home driving and no slide intrusion. Two slides give more room and different layouts but a well designed non slide us perfectly functional and is cheaper.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #53

For $25k you can find plenty of 30 ft class a motor homes with or without slides from say 2000.

You may even have money left over to buy a used tow dolly to take the car for those trips where you really want to do some sight seeing. We don't tow and there have been a few times it would have been nice to have a car along. We have rented cars from time to time.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #54

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have owned five motorhomes since 1974. None have had a slide. The first person to look at all four coaches bought it. I never had a single person go in and look around and say no thanks. We practically raised two kids in a 22 ft. 1972 Open road. We were camping out almost every weekend and all vacation. seventy plus days a year.
I now own a 1998 Pace Arrow. I bought it because it did NOT have a slide. We have made three trips out west since we bought it. Over two months each time. We have never been sorry about our lack of a slide. I did not like the slide crowding the drivers seat as so many do. Slides are also prone to air and water leaks. ( to be honest, the newer coaches are less problematic with air leaks) I just did not think it that important for us. Another thing is that we are outside people. We like to sit outside and walk around and ride our bikes.
If I were full timing, I would buy a coach with slides. I would never buy a diesel without slides. Our company lost over fifty thousand dollars each on two nice diesels with no slides. It is easier to sell a gasser with slides, but there are many people who will buy one without a slide.
The bottom line is, buy what you want and enjoy it.
Will my next coach have a slide? NO!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #55

I'm in the no-slide camp. I just like things simple and elegant and avoid complications.

The only thing I can offer is selling a no-slide RV should not be a problem because there's always someone who particularly wants one without as well as the one who wants it with.

I once was looking at a lemon-yellow car with a green interior at a dealers lot. When I asked the salesman how hard it would be to sell he answered, 'No problem. There's a butt for every seat'.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:07 AM   #56

Send a message via Yahoo to MMBradley
Quote:
Originally Posted by agc23 View Post
Hello all,

I have heard it's very difficult to sell an RV without a slide, so I figured I should be able to get one at a good price. I'm interested in a 2002 Rexhall 31' Rose Air, Ford gas powered with approx 35k miles, does not have a slide and looks to be in decent shape (based on pics). What do you think is a fair price for this RV.

Ad Description: VERY CLEAN 2 OWNER ROSE AIR BY REXHALL ON FORD CHASSIS-ALWAYS STORED INSIDE WHEN NOT IN USE-VIPER ALARM SYSTEM-TINTED THERMAL PANE WINDOWS-LEATHER FLEXSTEEL DRIVER AND PASSENGER SEAT (POWERED)-BACK UP CAMERA-NEW 26 inch LCD TV-ANTENNA CONVERTED TO DIGITAL-WINEGUARD DOME SET UP FOR DIRECT TV-CB RADIO-PULL DOWN SUNSHADES IN COCKPIT-GE CONVECTION MICROWAVE-UNDERCOUNTER 12 CUP MAKER-DEEP DOUBLE SINK WITH MOEN FAUCET-FILTERED DRINKING WATER FAUCET-DUAL HEAT AND AIR WITH CEILING DUCTS-10 GALLON WATER HEATER-SUBURBAN FURNACE-NORCOLD 8 CUBIC FOOT FRIDGE WITH ICE MAKER-4 BURNER MAGIC CHEF STOVE-HWH 210 SERIES LEVELING SYSTEM WITH JOYSTICK CONTROL--3 STEP ELECTRIC ENTRANCE-FIRESTONE RIDE COMPRESSOR SPRINGS-FULL SIZE SLEEPER SOFA-BEIGE UPHOLSTERY AND CARPET-14 OVERHEAD COMPARTMENTS-DOUBLE DOOR CLOSET-19 UNDER COUNTERSEAT AND BED STORAGE COMPARTMENTS-3 DOOR PANTRY STORAGE-ADDITIONAL LIGHTING ADDED THRUOUT-PREMIUM CLOTH COVERED VALANCES-DAY/NITE PULL DOWN SHADES ON WINDOWS-TILE FLOOR IN KITCHEN AND BATH-FULL SIZE SHOWER,LARGE VANITY AND OVERHEAD CABINET WITH DOOR THAT OPENS TO HALLWAY FOR FULL SIZE BATH-QUEEN SIZE BED WITH DELUXE COMFORTOR-BEVELED FULL GLASS MIRRORS-EXTRA LARGE WATER TANK UNDER QUEEN BED-
I've done a LOT of research and Rexhall is/was a "high-end" brand. The model you're looking at (by description) sounds really nice, and might be priced somewhere between $16-$20k. I'd go for it! In 2012, my DH and I decided to purchase our first RV, a 2004 31' Class A with no slides for $16k. If nothing else, it's an inexpensive learning tool, and we can always upgrade later. Before the RV, we were tent campers and loved it, but with age came the need for certain creature comforts. Not having additional space wasn't important to us because we spend most of our time outdoors (sometimes under a tent or canopy). We also like the length; it can park almost anywhere, fitting perfectly in two car spaces. It's easy to handle, and campground fees are generally less expensive for rigs under 30 feet. Don't end up with "buyer's remorse," especially if you've never owned one. Was your first car a luxury model or a clunker?
MMBradley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, rexhall, slide