Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #1

Thinking of buying a diesel pusher

We bought a 2002 georgie boy cruise air last winter and have really enjoyed camping with our 4 year old. Driving the v10 up hills around us is very loud and rpms are higher than an engine should run. So we are looking at upgrading to a 2007 Holiday Rambler 36pdq Neptune 4 slide out cummins diesel pusher.

So my question is the price seems good on this unit and the dealer says the quality is exceptional. But most sales guys lie every ti e their mouth is moving. How is the quality of Holdiay Ramblers in 2007?

Thanks fellow camping folks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdoc View Post
We bought a 2002 georgie boy cruise air last winter and have really enjoyed camping with our 4 year old. Driving the v10 up hills around us is very loud and rpms are higher than an engine should run. So we are looking at upgrading to a 2007 Holiday Rambler 36pdq Neptune 4 slide out cummins diesel pusher. So my question is the price seems good on this unit and the dealer says the quality is exceptional. But most sales guys lie every ti e their mouth is moving. How is the quality of Holdiay Ramblers in 2007? Thanks fellow camping folks
Good luck, and happy trails.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Dont quite understand why the engine RPM is higher than an engine should run. How fast are you trying to go up the hill and how steep is the hill?

A diesel pusher is exciting.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Three people we are acquainted with have HRs and are very happy with them. The only caveat I can make is I'm not sure of the exact years of any of them but they are around the vintage of what you are looking at. Good luck with your selection.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I've had 3 RV's with the V10. Yes they do sound like they are going to blow a gasket with the RPM"S up around 4k, but from all the readings I have done on the V10, it actually loves the higher RPM's. Most people drive cars aren't used to the noise level they hear in an RV. BTW, I now own a diesel and don't really ever want to go back.
2009 Yamaha V star 1300
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:19 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
you will love not hearing the engine noise.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My winnie with a 454 isn't too noisy. Not too easy on fuel but the noise level is low enough we can carry on a conversation easily.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
My winnie with a 454 isn't too noisy. Not too easy on fuel but the noise level is low enough we can carry on a conversation easily.
I agree totally, have owned a few gas motorhomes and never had to raise my voice to be heard no matter how steep the incline. Maybe some people are just hard of hearing and will do anything not to admit it I prefer to hear the engine so I know it is performing as it should. I can see why diesel owners wouldn't want to hear them, with all the noise they make how could you tell if it wasn't running right. Maybe they get quiet when they are about to blow up
Old 06-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #9

Search the internet for recalls, service bulletins, and known problems for that year, model, and frame used. It might offer some insight. Do not bother with carfax, reporting to that company is voluntary, and unreliable IMO.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi

I would caution you on the 2007 HR Neptune. If the unit has had the "TRAILING ARMS" replaced with the SOURCE ENGINEERING units then it might be OK. If they have not been replaced then I would recommend that you think very carefully about this purchase. The trailing arms issue is well documented on IRV2 in the Chassis section / Roadmaster Chassis. This is a safety issue and one that is very serious.

As you can see from my signature below we own a 2007 HR Neptune and we have had to put a lot of additional money into the unit. We have had the "Trailing Arms" replaced for around $2000.00 and then because the ride was still rough we recently had the Source Eng "Ride Enhancement Kit" installed for another $2500.00. These two upgrades took care of the safety issue and did improve on the ride.

We have also spent additional money to get rid of the fire prone NORCOLD refrig and have added a residential SAMSUNG 197 to the MH. This is an individual choice of the owner but one that we a very happy with because of the quality of the Samsung and the fact that I was tired of all the recalls from the Norcold people. This cost us another $2500.00.

We have also done some other minor improvement such as a SAFETY T PLUS steering stabilizer, Direct TV Traveler System and a couple of misc items to make the MH comfortable.

BTW all the prices stated here were for the parts and the installs cost.

Now you may ask why. Well only because we do like the MH layout and we can not afford to go up to a high price point unit. Now we have a lot of money invested in this unit so we intend to keep it for a while. Even though I would like to sell it and move into a new TIFFIN MH. Just can not do it right now.

If you would like to ask me additional questions you can send me a PM.

Good Luck, Be safe out there when driving.

Bill
bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #11

We had a gas Forest River Georgetown. Great RV but yes, hard to talk over the engine. Also the unit wandered on the road. Steering stabilizer helped a little. But then we test drove a diesel pusher and the difference was amazing! The DH and I can hold a conversation while driving without having to shout at each other! We have some friends that have the 07 Holiday Rambler model you are looking at and they LOVE it! I think the only other thing I would keep in mind is that when you buy a used coach you don't get any factory warrenty. That fact alone made us look at a new coach. Prices on new coaches have really come down in the past couple of years! You can get into a new coach for around 140K. I know that is not a price everyone can consider, but if you buy an older coach for less money you have to always keep in mind how much repairs on an older coach will push your overall price up in the long run.
I would say: do your research using IRV2 and other RV publications like Motorhome Magazine. Go to a campground and talk to other owners about what they do and don't like about their rigs. Beware of the "glitz and glamour" at RV shows that promise you a lot to "take it home today". The most important thing is to be confident in YOUR final choice!! It is a really painful experience to regret a decision!!
Good Luck and keep us posted on your adventure!!
Karen
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkphotog View Post
Hi

I would caution you on the 2007 HR Neptune. If the unit has had the "TRAILING ARMS" replaced with the SOURCE ENGINEERING units then it might be OK. If they have not been replaced then I would recommend that you think very carefully about this purchase. The trailing arms issue is well documented on IRV2 in the Chassis section / Roadmaster Chassis. This is a safety issue and one that is very serious.

As you can see from my signature below we own a 2007 HR Neptune and we have had to put a lot of additional money into the unit. We have had the "Trailing Arms" replaced for around $2000.00 and then because the ride was still rough we recently had the Source Eng "Ride Enhancement Kit" installed for another $2500.00. These two upgrades took care of the safety issue and did improve on the ride.

We have also spent additional money to get rid of the fire prone NORCOLD refrig and have added a residential SAMSUNG 197 to the MH. This is an individual choice of the owner but one that we a very happy with because of the quality of the Samsung and the fact that I was tired of all the recalls from the Norcold people. This cost us another $2500.00.

We have also done some other minor improvement such as a SAFETY T PLUS steering stabilizer, Direct TV Traveler System and a couple of misc items to make the MH comfortable.

BTW all the prices stated here were for the parts and the installs cost.

Now you may ask why. Well only because we do like the MH layout and we can not afford to go up to a high price point unit. Now we have a lot of money invested in this unit so we intend to keep it for a while. Even though I would like to sell it and move into a new TIFFIN MH. Just can not do it right now.

If you would like to ask me additional questions you can send me a PM.

Good Luck, Be safe out there when driving.

Bill
Good information bill. How can I tell if the trailing arms have been upgraded?

And thanks to the rest of the comments on here. Yes tinnitus is in my life now so the quieter the better for me.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #13

The Ford V10 will run fine at high RPM's. Don't use that as your justification. If it is too loud for your tastes, well, then a DP will solve that issue.

Before I bought my TT 10 years ago we rented a class C. I decided at that time that I loved the camping "thang", but would never buy a front engine. I bought my TT. When I could finally justify a driveable unit we picked up a used DP.

Difference in ride and control is pretty significant from my experience, reduced noise another plus.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi Jetdoc:

The TRAILING ARMS are located inside the rear wheel area. They are the heavy bars that are attached to the side of the frame running back to the axle and the rear airbags. They are bolted to the rear axle.

The ones from Monaco / HR have a bend in them and have a bad habit of cracking just in front of the axle. Monaco / HR had two designs. One went over the top of the axle and the other one went under the axle. The one that has the problem is the one that went under the axle.

The SOURCE ENG units will be much larger and will be more of a square shape. They also do not have a bend.

I would suggest that you refer to the following locations to get further information.

IRV2
CHASSIS CLUB FORUM,, ROADMASTERS MOTORHOME Chassis Forum: Trailing Arms Cracking on Roadmaster thread.
I am not sure on how to do a link to that spot, but I would review this location. It is a large thread with a lot of posts, but it might be worth while of your time. Maybe some one else on IRV2 knows how to do the link directly.
Just scroll down to the CHASSIS CLUB FORUM on IVR2. you will then be in the spot to select the above mentioned locations

You could also GOOGLE SOURCE ENG directly to look at their dicussions and get pictures of the problem arms and their replacement arms. The web site that I use to bring up their home page is: www.rv-chassis.com.
Hope this helps.
Bill

bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel