Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #1

Thinking of replacing L couch

After a few years of use we are thinking of replacing our L shaped couch with a couple of recliners. Room is not an issue. My question is " why do I need to purchase an RV specific chair(s)?" Considering the cost difference between RV recliners and Lazy Boy, as an example, I can almost purchase 2 top of the line Lazy boys for what 1 RV specific chair costs. I don't see mounting, if I choose to, be an issue either.

Any one out there have any experience good or bad doing this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #2

Thinking of replacing L couch

Many including us have used household furniture. The problem may be getting it through the door. We replaced our hide-a-bed sofa

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 07-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just do IT! We've replaced the hidabed sofa, 2 chairs and dinette and the junk mattress. nothing bought from any camping store. figuring a way to anchor pieces isn't really a problem. The same 1200 to 1300 dollar Lazy Boy recliner from a camping dealer can easily be purchased for 200 to 4000 bucks and you may even get better material;. Worst case if it doesn't fit through the door remove the drivers side window and put it in. safe travels.... ed
Old 07-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We just replaced our J couch with an entertainment center with a fireplace in it. It came from a residential furniture store. Yes Thom bolted it down thou. And at the same time we added that Thom unbolted and moved the hidabed couch over so that it is now center under the window, a total of about 3 inches .... yea he's an engineer. It did give him room on that side to add in a little side table so that he can put his laptop and/or a drink there.
Since our mattress is a true queen and not an RV queen, meaning shorter, we replaced it with a euro pillowtop Serta mattress. Yes again it was from a residential furniture store.
We replaced both of the 20 yr old TV's with LED TVs. Yep again a residential store.
If we keep this coach for too much longer Thom will replace the drivers seat with one that semi drivers usually have not an RV replacement.

There is not much in our RV that is from an RV store.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #5

We took out our couch and replaced it with two LaZboy recliners. The backs slip off the recliners, so it's a piece of cake to get in the coach.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We replaced our L-shaped FlexSteel Extend-a-Lounge sofa with a full size wall-away reclining La-Z-Boy sofa. BEST thing we ever did. It was harder getting the old sofa out than getting the new one in. La-Z-Boy furniture is shipped with the backs off, so it's easy-peasy. (Besides, if you buy from a La-Z-Boy store they will deliver and set it up in the RV.)

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinichuck View Post
After a few years of use we are thinking of replacing our L shaped couch with a couple of recliners. Room is not an issue. My question is " why do I need to purchase an RV specific chair(s)?" Considering the cost difference between RV recliners and Lazy Boy, as an example, I can almost purchase 2 top of the line Lazy boys for what 1 RV specific chair costs. I don't see mounting, if I choose to, be an issue either.

Any one out there have any experience good or bad doing this?
Our traveling companions did exactly that, replacing the sofa with two Lazy Boy wall hugger recliners. They use the seat belts from the sofa to secure the recliners when on the road. We're thinking about doing the same thing.

'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote